C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Trip Odometer Repair Tool?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 01:31 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Trip Odometer Repair Tool?

Someone is advertising a tool in the recent NCRS Driveline that's supposed to fix trip odometers that rack up miles OK but won't reset to 000000. That's the ailment my trip odometer has and I'm wondering if anyone else has used this tool. Apparently, it frees up a frozen reset cable somehow.

I'm aware of FTF's device that permanently disingages the trip odometer but I use mine to tell me when it's time to get gas. It's more accurate than the fuel gauge.

Thanks,
Steve
The following users liked this post:
'67 Coupe (11-05-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 01:46 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The original was developed around 2005 by forum member "carl a" IIRC...if that is indeed what is advertised in the Driveline...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...pair-tool.html

The problem is that the conical tip of the reset gear may not be strong enough, when pushed in, to drive the horizontal brass shaft on the trip odometer drive train to the left against the spring to disengage it from the main gear on the right and fully engage it to the reset gear, usually because of crud or a bit of rust on the inner (silver) horizontal shaft...seen here inside the spring.

The tool provides more leverage to try to drive the horizontal shaft to the left using the reset ****....when you are approaching "0", IIRC, you are trying to flip the whole row of numbers from "9999" and the force required may be too much for the small reset ****.

The bracket I use, on the other hand, keeps the trip odometer in the "reset" mode with the far right gear train disengaged. That lessens drag on the main odometer gear train and prolongs its life...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-17-2019 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:09 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
The original was developed around 2005 by forum member "carl a" IIRC...if that is indeed what is advertised in the Driveline...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...pair-tool.html

The problem is that the reset pointed shaft with the reset gear may not be strong enough, when pushed in, to drive the horizontal brass shaft to the left against the spring to disengage it from the main gear on the right and re-engage it to the reset gear, usually because of crud or a bit of rust on the inner (silver) horizontal shaft...seen here inside the spring.

The tool provides more leverage to try to drive the horizontal shaft to the right using the reset ****.

The bracket I use, on the other hand, keeps the trip odometer in the "reset" mode with the far right gear train disengaged. That lessens drag on the main odometer gear train and prolongs its life...

Thanks, Frank. Now I understand how the trip odometer works and the logic behind the repair tool. I may get the tool and give it a try. Currently, the best reset I can do is to 999999 which works for me but it's getting harder to get it to that number.

Steve
Old 03-17-2019, 03:06 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Can you post a pic of the tool?
Old 03-17-2019, 03:16 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by woodsdesign
Can you post a pic of the tool?
No picture in the ad. Here’s the ad:

Steve
Old 03-17-2019, 04:01 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I bet the tool is something very simple and if we saw a picture, we could probably make one.

I'm going to go ahead and get the tool. I just thought I'd check to see if anyone here had experience with it.

Steve
Old 03-18-2019, 12:05 AM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Trip Odometer Repair Tool?

Quick Reply: Trip Odometer Repair Tool?