C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

LED Headlights on a C2 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 08:57 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
The search function on the forum is not quite that awful... The more restrictive you can make the search by subject, author, regular expression, time and forum section the better the results...

I use it 98% of the time, but then I grew up in IT as the first primitive search engines evolved...
Thanks Frankie. I was about to post, I'll never recommend the search function again, but I'm ok now! Dennis
Old 03-20-2019, 09:04 AM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
They are the VC4000 5.75" LED Lo-Beam headlight kit - search for "Vintage Car LEDs" and the supplier will pop up in Google....
They are not cheap, but the only real plug-and-play option at the time I bought them...
98% of my driving is with lo beams so that's fine and I've driven with them enough now to know that oncoming drivers have no issue with them.

Frankie,

I know you car is sitting on a lift in the above picture, which would have effect on headlight aim, but based on original headlight beam alignment procedure for Low Beams, I would not want to be meeting your car.

Beams look to be adjusted to High, and left beam not pointed more to center and lower. I'd love to see what the alignment looks like using original headlight aiming procedure.

My 64 coup has a show car stance (Not level, nose lower than rear, that makes me have to use about all the upward adjustment on them, but final adjustment meets original specs for original headlights. I don't use LED's. I do use Halogen Blue lights, an it still worries me that I'm blinding drivers in on coming cars.

My car does see a lot of night driving too.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:34 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext
Frankie,

I know you car is sitting on a lift in the above picture, which would have effect on headlight aim, but based on original headlight beam alignment procedure for Low Beams, I would not want to be meeting your car.

Beams look to be adjusted to High, and left beam not pointed more to center and lower. I'd love to see what the alignment looks like using original headlight aiming procedure.
In that picture the beams aren't adjusted AT ALL....it was 10 minutes after I got the LED bulbs in and I just took a snapshot....
I adjusted the beams the next day with the whole "25' on a level surface" manual technique and the beams dispersion is right on now....
I just never took a picture of it..

I took a 1-1/2 hour trip before daylight to a Melbourne car show a few months back with the lights on navigating an undivided rural country road for most of the trip and with all the opposing traffic I didn't get the "hi-lo beam flip" from irritated drivers going the other way...not once...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-20-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:04 AM
townsedan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys, for all the help. I'm taking your advice and buying the pricy ones. You only live once!
Old 03-20-2019, 12:42 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC 0802
Thanks to FTF for actually posting it.

The search function on this site blows, so the old timer default answer of “use the search function” is obnoxious and a clear manifestation of why people think C2 folks are grumpy old sods.

Good luck OP!
Ill disagree that the site Search function “blows.” I think you are doing it wrong.

I use Search here quite a bit. And while going outside the site to Google is one of many ways to search, I rarely need to do that. The problem people generally have with the site search function is that they don’t use the “advanced” setting and enter parameters on that page.

I entered “LED lights” and specified all posts, within C1/2 and found the first 500 pretty quickly. To make it less unwieldy, I narrowed it to thread titles with “LED lights” only within C1/2. Of course, there’s lots of useful LED posts in C3 and by guys with the newer cars, so you can expand accordingly. You can also enter time frames as well.

I pretty much find everything I need in the site advanced search function when I tweak the parameters. “LED lights” within C1/C2 only, thread titles, returned 63 threads within 0.19 seconds, to start with (see below).

Like the obnoxious redhead on the Car Gurus Commercial, “whew, I’m beat.”

The following users liked this post:
Frankie the Fink (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 01:14 PM
townsedan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for the tutorial. I didn't realize how simple it actually can be to find what you are looking for. I tried it and it works! I and a few of my friends have said in the past that the forum is a wealth of information but not friendly to work with. That's all changed.
Thanks again.
The following users liked this post:
vettebuyer6369 (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 02:59 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I've found no better resource, online, for general and practical information for this marquee. I occasionally drift over to the NCRS forum if I went to know which of 10 shades a plated bolt should be or if an alternator should have caramel colored wafers between its halves...

Quick Reply: LED Headlights on a C2 Vette