C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Window Channel removal felt replacement 1966

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 06:16 PM
Jack-TX
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts

Default Window Channel removal felt replacement 1966

Thanks everyone for always being so helpful. I have window channel removal questions.

How difficult is it to remove the drivers side window track/channel on a 66 convertible, the metal track that the drivers window slides up/down in with the felt in it, I just need to remove the rear one (closest to the rear of the car.) It looks as though it is attached near the top of the door through the drivers door with a screw on the outside, but I cant see how the bottom is attached? The felt in the channel peeled off from the top to about 1/3 of the way down the channel, causing the window to get caught in the track with the loose felt. Will just that vertical channel come out of there by unbolting it? Any advise for new felt installation, 3M Adhesive spray?

Should the window be glued into the horizontal bar/track where the bottom of the window glass fits into? When the window got caught in the felt, it pulled out of that bottom horizontal piece and I could remove the window completely for the car.

Any help y'all could offer would be much appreciated!

Jack.

Last edited by Jack-TX; 03-18-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:25 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

On a 63 its two big Philip's head screws holding the vertical rear track in the door.....after removing the door panel and access plate you wind the window all the way up and if you're lucky you can tilt the bottom of that track forward and lever the piece out...

JoAnne Fabric felt will work just fine in the track and it doesn't have to be so thick as to be a PITA to install....and you need to glue an inch or more down all three exterior sides of the metal channel to avoid the very problem you're having with an edge catching and "rolling up" and jamming things...
The following users liked this post:
Jack-TX (03-19-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 06:44 PM
Drifting

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

I agree and yes the window glass should be glued into the track (its common for the glue to come loose)

Phil
Jack-TX (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 09:42 AM
Rustman
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 856666
I agree and yes the window glass should be glued into the track (its common for the glue to come loose)

Phil
Not sure if all windows were "glued" into the track, but mine were held in with a rubber grip strip that is a friction fit. All these grip strips and felts can be purchased from a vendor like Long Island Corvette.

Also note, on my 66 vert, the top bolt of the vertical run had a nut between the inside of the door and the run acting like a spacer to push the run forward for window fitment. Kind of held in place with sealer. Found out this technique was done at the factory on some cars to get the window to fit right. Anyway, that nut might have a tendency to fall to the bottom of the door when everything is removed so watch out for it.
Jack-TX (03-19-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Window Channel removal felt replacement 1966

Quick Reply: [C2] Window Channel removal felt replacement 1966