C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

MC push rod problem on ‘65

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 07:44 PM
BrotherVette
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts
Default MC push rod problem on ‘65

I’m looking at a really nice ‘65. I was told that before it was stored away a few years ago the brake pedal went to the floor. It was professionally maintained by a mechanic and Corevette enthusiast that I hold in high regard. It was thought that the problem was associated with the MC push rod adjustment. I have been searching here for that issue and it not showing up as a common problem. Can anyone let me know if that is a gremlinn on ‘65’s? Thanks
Old 03-20-2019, 08:33 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

A master cylinder pushrod failure is almost unheard of. Its easy enough to check on a 65. Unbolt the MC from the firewall and push it toward the front of the car. The pushrod should be visible and you can check its operation by looking st it while a helper pushes on the brake pedal.

Last edited by Avispa; 03-20-2019 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:11 AM
reno stallion
Melting Slicks

Received 1,518 Likes on 801 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

MC is done or pin fell out of rod no longer hooked to pedal
Old 03-21-2019, 09:27 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

...common problem. It probably never had a brake fluid change, so the contaminated brake fluid caused corrosion. The pushrod is easy to check, but if it's okay the system needs to be rebuilt with new or sleeved MC and calipers. Also the brake lines should be flushed and hoses replaced. If you use DOT3 or 4 it should be flushed every five years. Many "mechanics" don't understand this. If you assemble everything with DOT 5 you can easily go ten years between flushing, but beware that most rebuilt components are assembled with DOT 3, so they need to be disassembled, cleaned with denatured alcohol and reassembled with DOT 5..

Everything should be absolutely clean and clear of any traces to DOT 3 or 4 if you swap to DOT 5.

Duke
Old 03-21-2019, 03:11 PM
BrotherVette
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts

It’s been a while and I just had a quick look under the hood. I remember that it looked like the MC was brand new and I remember that the DOT number was written on the cap with a Sharpie so I assume it had a brake fluid change. I think it may have been DOT5. I will have to get a better look at the seals. Problem is that it’s in a very tight spot and I can’t get good access until I can get it out of storage.

Get notified of new replies

To MC push rod problem on ‘65

Quick Reply: MC push rod problem on ‘65