C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] 1967 Corvette with 15K Miles Is an Unrestored Time Capsule

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 03:30 PM
Curated Content Editor
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 915 Likes on 461 Posts
Default 1967 Corvette with 15K Miles Is an Unrestored Time Capsule

1967 Corvette with 15K Miles Is an Unrestored Time Capsule
By Brett Foote

Somehow, this classic Corvette survived the ills of time unscathed.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:35 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

"Thus, he had the engine removed and rebuilt. The block had to be decked, but the correct codes were reapplied. This is obviously a big deal in the world of manic Corvette collectors, but a welcome full disclosure from the seller nonetheless."
That's certainly an eye popping disclosure to this what appears to be an amazing beautiful survivor '67 427/435 convertible.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:20 AM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
"Thus, he had the engine removed and rebuilt. The block had to be decked, but the correct codes were reapplied. This is obviously a big deal in the world of manic Corvette collectors, but a welcome full disclosure from the seller nonetheless."
I suppose he had to disclose it. It will probably sell for big bucks, and the buyer would eventually discover the broach marks are not right.
The decked block will probably detract from the price, and fuel suspicion that the block is not original to the car.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:42 AM
89vette
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

I was in the market for a 67 427/435 Coupe in 2011. I talked to the President at the time of the NCRS and he told me that he would not consider buying one unless a certain individual inspected it. I contacted that person after I located a car locally. Paid him $500 to inspect the car and provide a report to me. I was with him during the inspection. He told me the car was a real 427/435 numbers matching except for the differential which the owner disclosed. Car was 6 figures. I made a reasonable offer on the car and the owner was considering it. I then received a phone call from a guy that had a 67 427/400 AC car for sale that had an incorrect block in it that I had looked at the week before. I told him I made an offer on another car. He asked if it was a silver one in Somerset, PA and I said yes it was. He said the car is fake and was built by a guy in Maryland. I called the inspector and he said let me make a few phone calls and then proceeded to call me back to tell me it was indeed a fake 427/435 car!

Therefore I concluded that this market is rife with fraud and I want nothing to do with it. Just like with this car, there always seems to be a story.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:03 AM
Lotsacubes
Melting Slicks

Received 902 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by 89vette
I was in the market for a 67 427/435 Coupe in 2011. I talked to the President at the time of the NCRS and he told me that he would not consider buying one unless a certain individual inspected it. I contacted that person after I located a car locally. Paid him $500 to inspect the car and provide a report to me. I was with him during the inspection. He told me the car was a real 427/435 numbers matching except for the differential which the owner disclosed. Car was 6 figures. I made a reasonable offer on the car and the owner was considering it. I then received a phone call from a guy that had a 67 427/400 AC car for sale that had an incorrect block in it that I had looked at the week before. I told him I made an offer on another car. He asked if it was a silver one in Somerset, PA and I said yes it was. He said the car is fake and was built by a guy in Maryland. I called the inspector and he said let me make a few phone calls and then proceeded to call me back to tell me it was indeed a fake 427/435 car!

Therefore I concluded that this market is rife with fraud and I want nothing to do with it. Just like with this car, there always seems to be a story.
Soooo.... since you didn't want anything to do with this market.... did you buy a SB C2, the 427/400... skipped C2 for an '89? Curious since your in the C1/C2 Forum.

Last edited by Lotsacubes; 03-22-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:35 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I agree thats why Id never pay #s price. Guys were doing this way back in the 80s...if one knows what they are doing they can fool thebest out there. Buy based on condition/like/price if #s match then I guess thats a plus.
The car will run the same anyways..Paying #s price better know what youre looking for!!

Why would it need to be redone and decked at 15k if it was in that kind of shape? the whole story is bs
Guys were flipping these odometers back and unplugging the cable practically from day 1 everyone, and most dealers did it. Paying for low miles is one hell of a crapshoot...even late model stuff can be screwed with.

Last edited by cv67; 03-22-2019 at 11:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Stan's Customs (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 10:30 AM
89vette
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Lotsacubes
Soooo.... since you didn't want anything to do with this market.... did you buy a SB C2, the 427/400... skipped C2 for an '89? Curious since your in the C1/C2 Forum.
I bought a very nice 65 L76 Coupe from a fellow CF member. Former top flight and Duntov award. 5 dated KH wheels in storage.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:58 AM
Lotsacubes
Melting Slicks

Received 902 Likes on 593 Posts

^^^ Yep, beautiful and great choice. So "rife with fraud and I want nothing to do with it" was directed at the 427/435 world. Copy and completely understood. Got a real beauty there. Congrats
Old 03-22-2019, 12:24 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by 89vette

Yes, 67 435 cars have been faked and they are out there. But you did your due diligence and did not buy that fake. But there are real documented and non-faked 435s out there that are indisputable - which is why THOSE cars bring so much money.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:38 PM
rsinor
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 362 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Curated Content Editor
1967 Corvette with 15K Miles Is an Unrestored Time Capsule
By Brett Foote

Really? A blown motor - while racing and all they did was deck and re stamp it.

the reason most 427 don't survive a blown engine while racing scenario is because rotating mass is exponential.

as an example a 327 crank at 37lb's spins with a force of 1369lb's, that's why when they blow they wrap a rod around the crank and put a dent in the oil pan.

as an example a 427 crank at 68lb's spins with a force of 4,624lbs, at 3.3 times the force of a small block it knocks a hole in the side of the block because something breaks.

those scenarios do not account for rod and piston weight which should be included, the numbers would just make the force even greater for the 427.

"Unscathed"
Old 03-22-2019, 02:46 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
I agree thats why Id never pay #s price. Guys were doing this way back in the 80s...if one knows what they are doing they can fool thebest out there. Buy based on condition/like/price if #s match then I guess thats a plus.
The car will run the same anyways..Paying #s price better know what youre looking for!!

Why would it need to be redone and decked at 15k if it was in that kind of shape? the whole story is bs
Guys were flipping these odometers back and unplugging the cable practically from day 1 everyone, and most dealers did it. Paying for low miles is one hell of a crapshoot...even late model stuff can be screwed with.
There was a sleazy guy that used to hit all the used car lots on Little Creek Rd in Norfolk in the 60s....

He would turn back the odometer on any American car for $50 a piece....a lot of money back then but the word on the street is that he made a damn fine living at it back then...

He had it down to a science...

There were a lot of 15,000 mile used cars back then with the rubber pads on the pedals worn down as slick as bandaids and rear package trays warped and beat to hell from years in the sun and leaks....

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-22-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:33 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by Curated Content Editor
Upon further review maybe that was not the best choice of works considering the fate of the engine.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:24 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,720 Likes on 805 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I worked for a DX station in high school that was owned by a large leasing/finance company. They used to send us ‘65/‘66 Fords for a “clock” fix. I would open a bay in the station and they would send in their “fixer”. He told me he was paid $10 per car and he rolled back the odometers 30 to 40 thousands miles. I remember asking him how hard my ‘58 would be to alter. He said that would be one of the tougher ones to do.

Last edited by Dan Hampton; 03-22-2019 at 10:25 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1967 Corvette with 15K Miles Is an Unrestored Time Capsule

Quick Reply: [C2] 1967 Corvette with 15K Miles Is an Unrestored Time Capsule