C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

SoCal visit advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 07:05 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Default SoCal visit advice

Hi guys- if I’m going to be in Los Angeles area (I’m somewhat familiar with) and San Diego and I have a Wednesday and Friday night to do some car stuff, and possibly a Saturday morning- what do you you guys recommend? Jeff I know you are plugged in there and also TCracing.

I’m going to do the Petersen museum and maybe Bobs big boy on Friday night- didn’t know if I could or should hit the Pomona swap meet possibly or ?

I won’t have all day to do any major trips just some hours here and there. Any advice appreciated.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:27 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

What are the dates of your visit? Several cool weekly events in the summer evenings here in San Diego.. but they don't start for a few weeks.
Also, this site is pretty cool: http://www.socalcarculture.com/events.html (there are a LOT of car events here!!!)

Let me know if you're going to any of the San Diego events.. We can meet up!

Fred

Last edited by SDVette; 03-22-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:14 PM
Mr Fufu
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

If you're in the mood to dream, take a drive out to CORVETTE MIKE'S in Anaheim. I was there last year during vacation and enjoyed kicking the tires of the many vintage Corvettes in his showroom. Okay, I didn't wear a belt-buckle, and no, I didn't kick anything. My wife fell in love with a Champagne gold '62, but the $70k price was a bit out of our budget!
Old 03-22-2019, 09:01 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Call Chip Foose shop for the daliy tour hour. I visited last year and talked with Chip one on one. Genuine guy. Dennis
Old 03-22-2019, 10:17 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SDVette
What are the dates of your visit? Several cool weekly events in the summer evenings here in San Diego.. but they don't start for a few weeks.
Also, this site is pretty cool: http://www.socalcarculture.com/events.html (there are a LOT of car events here!!!)

Let me know if you're going to any of the San Diego events.. We can meet up!

Fred
fred thank you! My trip is this week, and I’ll have the family so I may not get to do much in San Diego “off the reservation” but if something shakes up and we can meet I’ll pm you my cell number. I really appreciate it!

i did find that particular link and scanned it for events on Wednesday and Friday nights. Looks like at bobs you can almost always see some unique stuff. I’d like to catch some culture not just in hot rods but in other makes too. We shall see!

thanks again!!!
Old 03-22-2019, 10:18 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mr Fufu
If you're in the mood to dream, take a drive out to CORVETTE MIKE'S in Anaheim. I was there last year during vacation and enjoyed kicking the tires of the many vintage Corvettes in his showroom. Okay, I didn't wear a belt-buckle, and no, I didn't kick anything. My wife fell in love with a Champagne gold '62, but the $70k price was a bit out of our budget!
good call! I’ll be close enough to stop at least once.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:18 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
Call Chip Foose shop for the daliy tour hour. I visited last year and talked with Chip one on one. Genuine guy. Dennis
i have heard that about him, I’ll try and do it if it jives with the family plans
Old 03-22-2019, 10:39 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,033 Likes on 1,250 Posts

Benton -- Pomona is really something to experience, but it would suck up quite a few hours because it's gotten so huge. You need to get there pretty early in the morning and parking and unparking will eat up more time. I would not try to "squeeze it in" on a family trip.

Also, Betsy and I need you to return to NorCal!

Lou
Old 03-22-2019, 11:17 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

I don't think you take in much of Pamona in just a couple of hours. It will take almost a full hour to get parked and through the gate. If you really want to relax then take in a California sunset from one of the beaches or piers. Something for free good for your soul and while sitting on a park bench can be good for your soles too.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:16 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Someone contacted me that you mentioned me!

Sounds like you are here into the April 13/14 weekend! I would need to know where you are staying (City?)? To best give you ideas locally! Don’t know what you are into???? And you mentioned family? What ages? Boys or girls, wife with you?

I dont think Life especially with family in tow should be just car shows! This trip sounds strange, that if you have family with you, you only have certain days and nights?? Unless the family destinations are dominated the plans, and you are planning to sneak away on your own here or there?

Hard to get away in this City for any period, cross town and be able to make it back to meet up with others someplace! As in the relationship, the girlfriend doesn’t like 24/7 cars from me, I plan very mixed things! The weekend of the 3rd of March was a requested car and hobby weekend, and that weekend of April 13/14 is another that I cleared in advance.

I like Ike going to the Long Beach GP on Friday is where I will be, I like this day, because it isn’t the main event day! The access to the pits is easier and I like the GT classes. They have the Convention halls, the Vintage Race generally, and practice or qualifications for every series running. Generally they have concerts afterwards, but most in recent years aren’t my kind of music acts! I will eat on Pine Avenue or over in Seaport village, near the Queen Mary! That is something to visit and see and they have restaurants on board. I might pop into the aquarium right there in the middle of the event!
Saturday I am going to a Collectible show called Frank and Sons! Will drop over and wanted to go they the Nixon Presidential Library! I am hiking in the morning in my local hills!
Sunday I might get up and get to Pomona prior to 6am and then I am dropping south to the All Ford Show moved from Knotts Berry farm to Anaheim Stadium! I am a Corvette guy, but I enjoy this show when I attend! I will tape and watch the races later that evening!

I will I’ll see your itinerary, and see where you guys will be, and suggest things that might be doable around your existing schedule!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-23-2019 at 04:54 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:20 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LouieM
Benton -- Pomona is really something to experience, but it would suck up quite a few hours because it's gotten so huge. You need to get there pretty early in the morning and parking and unparking will eat up more time. I would not try to "squeeze it in" on a family trip.

Also, Betsy and I need you to return to NorCal!

Lou
You know, Lou, we didn’t expect this trip to replace NorCal which was one of my favorites of all time. We will totally return to visit you two again, enthusiastically, sooner rather than later!

My nephew is in film school here and we wanted to see him and figured we could roll in San Diego on Spring Break, is what happened this time around.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:24 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
Someone contacted me that you mentioned me!

Sounds like you are here into the April 13/14 weekend! I would need to know where you are staying (City?)? To best give you ideas locally! Don’t know what you are into???? And you mentioned family? What ages? Boys or girls, wife with you?

I dont think Life especially with family in tow should be just car shows! This trip sounds strange, that if you have family with you, you only have certain days and nights?? Unless the family destinations are dominated the plans, and you are planning to sneak away on your own here or there?

Hard to get away in this City for any period, cross town and be able to make it back to meet up with others someplace! As in the relationship, the girlfriend doesn’t like 24/7 cars from me, I plan very mixed things! The weekend of the 3rd of March was a requested car and hobby weekend, and that weekend of April 13/14 is another that I cleared in advance.

I like Ike going to the Long Beach GP on Friday is where I will be, I like this day, because it isn’t the main event day! The access to the pits is easier and I like the GT classes. They have the Convention halls, the Vintage Race generally, and practice or qualifications for every series running. Generally they have concerts afterwards, but most in recent years aren’t my kind of music acts! I will eat on Pine Avenue or over in Seaport village, near the Queen Mary! That is something to visit and see and they have restaurants on board. I might pop into the aquarium right there in the middle of the event!
Saturday I am going to a Collectible show called Frank and Sons! Will drop over and wanted to go they the Nixon Presidential Library! I am hiking in the morning in my local hills!
Sunday I might get up and get to Pomona prior to 6am and then I am dropping south to the All Ford Show moved from Knotts Berry farm to Anaheim Stadium! I am a Corvette guy, but I enjoy this show when I attend! I will tape and watch the races later that evening!

I will I’ll see your itinerary, and see where you guys will be, and suggest things that might be doable around your existing schedule!
no worries, and thanks for the reply. Yes our family plans have us scheduled for San Diego through Wednesday morning. Wednesday generally considering at least the petersen museum and then maybe an outing Friday night as I mentioned. I think I have my hands full. Thanks again for the reply!
Old 03-24-2019, 02:37 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
no worries, and thanks for the reply. Yes our family plans have us scheduled for San Diego through Wednesday morning. Wednesday generally considering at least the petersen museum and then maybe an outing Friday night as I mentioned. I think I have my hands full. Thanks again for the reply!
In the general area of the Peterson or within striking distance is Melrose- the famous clothing, thrift shop strip that the women like, Pinks Hot Dogs is close, Farmers Market for food stop. The Griffith park Observatory is to the north, Hollywood Forever Cemetary is a quirky place with some events! Just down the street from the Peterson is the La Brea Tarpits! The grounds a little interesting, the actual museum is kind of small and limited! I feel just see the outside is sufficient! There also is the big art museum! The Peterson is about an hour and a half, maybe two if you read more than most!

I lived in San Diego from 1980-1995. Have visited all my life! I know it very well! A lot to do down there!

On the freeway or Pacific Coast Highway, you are going to be 3 hours at least getting from San Diego to the Peterson! Traffic

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-24-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:15 PM
TexVette66
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Check NHRA museum website, they used to have a parking lot show at the museum , and you can also see the museum, great displays of history making rods and draggers.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:17 PM
TexVette66
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

P.S. That's on Wed. nights
Old 03-24-2019, 11:18 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Peterson is more family variety friendly!

The NHRA is more for the enthusiast! The SoCal Event link covers the day to day car gathering events! I took two of the Corvettes there to Pomona Wednesday night! Got many compliments and had a few good conversations, but really not a Vintage Corvette crowd! A real mixture! More neighborhood than being indicative of what people would equate to the California scene, that is a fraction of its old glory!

The best Socal car events are:

Porsche Luftgekulht, if you can get in!
LA Roadster Show
Cruise for a Cure
All Ford Show Newly this year at Anaheim Stadium
HB Concourse
Pelican Hill Concourse
Trump Golf Course Concourse
Irwindale Bug In
Big Bore Bash Willow Springs
Plastic Fantastic San Diego (Corvette)
Pomona Swap Meet
Steve McQueen Boys Club Show
etc etc etc etc

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-25-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:06 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,033 Likes on 1,250 Posts

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
You know, Lou, we didn’t expect this trip to replace NorCal which was one of my favorites of all time. We will totally return to visit you two again, enthusiastically, sooner rather than later!

My nephew is in film school here and we wanted to see him and figured we could roll in San Diego on Spring Break, is what happened this time around.

Get notified of new replies

To SoCal visit advice

Old 03-25-2019, 12:14 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Benton, not sure if I was the 'Jeff' you mentioned. TC has you covered. I'm an SF Bay Area native transplanted to Fresno 16 years ago. I know San Diego and L.A., but not like some of these guys! I'll add I've heard great things about the Nethercutt Museum, although I've never been. If you go to the Petersen Museum, you HAVE to go to Canter's Delicatessen on Fairfax, right down the street. Best pastrami in the world, a real '60's time warp as well.....'Get Shorty' had a long scene filmed there. Safe travels!!
Old 03-26-2019, 10:16 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
In the general area of the Peterson or within striking distance is Melrose- the famous clothing, thrift shop strip that the women like, Pinks Hot Dogs is close, Farmers Market for food stop. The Griffith park Observatory is to the north, Hollywood Forever Cemetary is a quirky place with some events! Just down the street from the Peterson is the La Brea Tarpits! The grounds a little interesting, the actual museum is kind of small and limited! I feel just see the outside is sufficient! There also is the big art museum! The Peterson is about an hour and a half, maybe two if you read more than most!

I lived in San Diego from 1980-1995. Have visited all my life! I know it very well! A lot to do down there!

On the freeway or Pacific Coast Highway, you are going to be 3 hours at least getting from San Diego to the Peterson! Traffic
thanks for all this! Yes I’ve read the Peterson is quick unless you pay extra to do “the vault” and the McQueen xkss is there now. I’ll probably do both and everyone wants to see the observatory
Old 03-26-2019, 10:17 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Benton, not sure if I was the 'Jeff' you mentioned. TC has you covered. I'm an SF Bay Area native transplanted to Fresno 16 years ago. I know San Diego and L.A., but not like some of these guys! I'll add I've heard great things about the Nethercutt Museum, although I've never been. If you go to the Petersen Museum, you HAVE to go to Canter's Delicatessen on Fairfax, right down the street. Best pastrami in the world, a real '60's time warp as well.....'Get Shorty' had a long scene filmed there. Safe travels!!
i bet we totall do canters! Thank you Jeff it was you I had in mind, sorry I got your location wrong

Quick Reply: SoCal visit advice