C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

2 Q's? Mandrel Bent Exhaust? (Anyone use Van Steel for rebuild service)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 12:58 AM
Lynns66
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Q's? Mandrel Bent Exhaust? (Anyone use Van Steel for rebuild service)

Hello Guys,

I have looked through magazines, and online and have not come accross any source for mandrel bent exhaust. Do any of you know of a manufacture? It would have to work in conjunction with headers. I am also looking at aftermarket mufflers as well, leaning towards Borla if the dimensions are close. Car is a 66 BBC car, 4spd, 2 inch hedman headers, 3 inch collector.

Have any of you used Van Steel out of Florida for repair work? Thinking about sending some wheel bearing/spindle assemblies for new seals and bearings?

Any help would be appreciated,;)

Chad

[Modified by Lynns66, 4:59 AM 11/4/2002]
Old 11-04-2002, 11:15 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Default Re: 2 Q's? Mandrel Bent Exhaust? (Lynns66)

Lynns66:

I hope you have better luck than I did finding a mandrel bender. I have a 2.5" stainless steel exhaust system on my car and when I was in the planning stage, I could not find anyone that could do a mandrel bend on this diameter. Most of the shops that even had a mandrel bender only had dies for smaller diameter tubing. I ended up buying 90 degree and 180 degree pre-bent (mandrel) pieces and welding up the whole system myself. It takes a lot of fitting, grinding, and polishing, but it does fit properly.

Charles
Old 11-04-2002, 11:36 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Default Re: 2 Q's? Mandrel Bent Exhaust? (cbernhardt)

Van Steel does absolutely top-quality work on rear spindles/bearings/trailing arms, as does Bair's in Pennsylvania; either one will do the job right.
Old 11-04-2002, 01:47 PM
Lynns66
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2 Q's? Mandrel Bent Exhaust? (cbernhardt)

Lynns66:

I hope you have better luck than I did finding a mandrel bender. I have a 2.5" stainless steel exhaust system on my car and when I was in the planning stage, I could not find anyone that could do a mandrel bend on this diameter. Most of the shops that even had a mandrel bender only had dies for smaller diameter tubing. I ended up buying 90 degree and 180 degree pre-bent (mandrel) pieces and welding up the whole system myself. It takes a lot of fitting, grinding, and polishing, but it does fit properly.

Charles
So I take it no one makes a pre-made kit with mandrel bends then? Like the Borla kits for late models etc?

Can anyone recomend a good premade kit then?
Old 11-04-2002, 09:30 PM
joevette57
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had Van Steele do several do several rebuilds for me and also my friends. Always top quality work. Of course I'm lucky, he's only a 30 minute drive from where I live. (no shipping)
Old 11-26-2002, 01:15 PM
7vettes
Race Director

Location: If I say it's safe to surf this beach ......then it's safe to surf this beach
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have any of you used Van Steel out of Florida for repair work?
They did a body-off restoration of the frame on my 64 many years ago and I've been back several times for other work. Artie and John and those guys are top notch. :thumbs:
Old 11-27-2002, 12:20 PM
Ryanc65
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you called Stainless Works out of Ohio? They claim to have mandrel bent pipes. They manufacture systems for classic vettes. I ordered a set of Chambered undercar exhaust for my '65.

I think they may be a supporting vendor of the site? I thought I saw a banner ad for them.

Just a thought.

Ryan

Get notified of new replies

To 2 Q's? Mandrel Bent Exhaust? (Anyone use Van Steel for rebuild service)

Quick Reply: 2 Q's? Mandrel Bent Exhaust? (Anyone use Van Steel for rebuild service)