C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

66 Splash shield molding

Old 04-12-2019, 10:45 AM
C2Dude
CF Senior Member

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Default 66 Splash shield molding

I picked up a repo passenger side splash shield to replace the rotted one on my 66, L79, under car exhaust, non AC vert. The kit came with the stainless staples. The shield is not drilled for them. Do I jig the molding to the shield, poke holes in the molding with the staple to mark the spacing and then drill the holes with a 1/16" bit, manually place and fold the staple ends? None of the posts I found seem to address this so I guessing it's obvious (except to me that is).
Thanks
Old 04-12-2019, 10:46 AM
C2Dude
CF Senior Member

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Forgot the pic.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:01 PM
Factoid
CF Senior Member

Liked 516 Times in 397 Posts

And the follow on question, how necessary are the splash gaurds?
Old 04-12-2019, 05:18 PM
C2Dude
CF Senior Member

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

I dun't know. They were there when I got her, engineers must have thought they were necessary for somethin.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:22 PM
JohnZ
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 995 Times in 661 Posts

Originally Posted by C2Dude View Post
I picked up a repo passenger side splash shield to replace the rotted one on my 66, L79, under car exhaust, non AC vert. The kit came with the stainless staples. The shield is not drilled for them. Do I jig the molding to the shield, poke holes in the molding with the staple to mark the spacing and then drill the holes with a 1/16" bit, manually place and fold the staple ends? None of the posts I found seem to address this so I guessing it's obvious (except to me that is).
Thanks
Yup, that's exactly how it's done. In 1966, it was done with an air-driven pedestal-mounted Bostitch industrial stapler where the staples punched their own holes.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:31 AM
C2Dude
CF Senior Member

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Thanks John,
I installed it yesterday using the drill press, needle nose pliers approach. Worked but not real pretty. If I had to do it again I'd drill the holes as I had done and just laced some stainless safety wire through it.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: