C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question About Oil Pan Gasket

Old 04-15-2019, 10:23 AM
Wayne88
CF Senior Member

Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
Default Question About Oil Pan Gasket

Iím going to change my oil pan gasket, and will order the Fel-Pro one piece pictured below.

Question is: Will I run into any problems with this? It says 1 piece then it says 2 piece seal, not sure what that means.

Also, the small block gasket pictured below had 2 different types, will I run into a fitment problem with the BB gasket? [My car is a 427].

I appreciate any help. Wayne

Old 04-15-2019, 10:29 AM
Powershift
CF Senior Member

Liked 627 Times in 569 Posts

If your car has the original pan, order the gasket with the smaller radius. Many pans changed this dimension in the 1970's, so if your car has a later replacement pan, then order the one with the larger radius. I only remember this for small blocks, but big blocks may also be the same way.

It is best to check pan first if any question. My friend bought the wrong one from local NAPA, and they exchanged it for him when he brought it back. Something to consider..........buying locally if in doubt.

Larry
The following users liked this post: Powershift
Wayne88 (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 11:14 AM
Desert Nomad
CF Senior Member

Liked 29 Times in 26 Posts

If what I remember, that front radius difference, thick/thin gasket only applies to small blocks.
The following users liked this post: Desert Nomad
Wayne88 (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 11:35 AM
Bluestripe67
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 538 Times in 508 Posts

When you get the pan off, make sure the bolt holes are not dimpled from over tightening. If they are, pein them flat and true. Make sure all the bolts are correct length so you don't have any oversize and bottom out. This will create a leak for sure. Torque for the pan bolts is 12 ft lbs. Dennis

Last edited by Bluestripe67; 04-15-2019 at 11:36 AM.
The following users liked this post: Bluestripe67
Wayne88 (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 11:56 AM
Vette5311
CF Senior Member

Liked 151 Times in 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Desert Nomad View Post
If what I remember, that front radius difference, thick/thin gasket only applies to small blocks.
That's true
The following users liked this post: Vette5311
Wayne88 (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 11:57 AM
Wayne88
CF Senior Member

Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts

That's what I'm wasn't sure about.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:33 PM
playzwithcars

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Oil Pan Gasket

Just a comment, I like Fel Pro items, but the bright blue shows up, and paint doesn't really stick well to these rubber/silicone gaskets. Mr Gasket has the equivalent, in a black/dark gray color, with compression stops in the gasket and all.
Not trying to sway your choice, but just to let you know there are options. I just bought the BBC Mr Gasket from Summit, part number MRG-6663G, and the price was $38.41

Last edited by playzwithcars; 04-15-2019 at 12:35 PM. Reason: adds
The following users liked this post: playzwithcars
Wayne88 (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 01:33 PM
SDVette
CF Senior Member

Liked 335 Times in 242 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67 View Post
When you get the pan off, make sure the bolt holes are not dimpled from over tightening. If they are, pein them flat and true. Make sure all the bolts are correct length so you don't have any oversize and bottom out. This will create a leak for sure. Torque for the pan bolts is 12 ft lbs. Dennis
Actually the spec from Felpro is 8 ft lbs for the small bolts, and 18 ft lbs for the large (corner) bolts.
As you'll see in this thread, mine held oil for 4 years...then developed a small leak.
Re-torquing the bolts stopped the leak.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rque-spec.html

Their oil pan gasket is 1-piece.. Likely discussing their rear main seal, which is 2-piece (has to wrap around the crank).

Last edited by SDVette; 04-15-2019 at 01:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SDVette:
Bluestripe67 (04-16-2019), Wayne88 (04-15-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 12:17 AM
Desert Nomad
CF Senior Member

Since we're discussing oil pan gaskets, I've got a dumb question to ask the experts. I'm in the process of changing my oil pan out from a 4qt. to 5qt. I have the Fel-Pro one pc. gasket. The instructions say to put the gasket on the block using those plastic studs to hold it up. Seems to me it would be easier to lay the gasket down in the pan and raise it up and bolt it in. Otherwise I could see part of the gasket hanging down while your trying to line up the pan. The service manual tells you to lay the gasket on the block first also. Is there a reason to do it that way. I'm thinking that they assume that you have the engine in a stand up side down, which in that case makes sense to do it that way. Mabey I'm missing something here.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:57 AM
Powershift
CF Senior Member

Liked 627 Times in 569 Posts

Since we're discussing oil pan gaskets, I've got a dumb question to ask the experts. I'm in the process of changing my oil pan out from a 4qt. to 5qt. I have the Fel-Pro one pc. gasket. The instructions say to put the gasket on the block using those plastic studs to hold it up. Seems to me it would be easier to lay the gasket down in the pan and raise it up and bolt it in. Otherwise I could see part of the gasket hanging down while your trying to line up the pan. The service manual tells you to lay the gasket on the block first also. Is there a reason to do it that way. I'm thinking that they assume that you have the engine in a stand up side down, which in that case makes sense to do it that way. Mabey I'm missing something here.
I believe they say to seal around the front and rear curved areas of the block with some silicone. That may be one reason. And the pins they supply seem to hold this area secure. I remember helping my friend do this job and we also made up about 6 metal studs that we also screwed into the block temporarily to better help alignment during assembly. Used nuts on these when first pan installed until we got the regular pans bolts in on the remaining holes (finger tight). Then removed these temporary studs one by one and replaced with the correct bolts. Then tightened everything up to spec.

Larry
The following users liked this post: Powershift
Desert Nomad (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 11:22 AM
Desert Nomad
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Powershift View Post
I believe they say to seal around the front and rear curved areas of the block with some silicone. That may be one reason. And the pins they supply seem to hold this area secure. I remember helping my friend do this job and we also made up about 6 metal studs that we also screwed into the block temporarily to better help alignment during assembly. Used nuts on these when first pan installed until we got the regular pans bolts in on the remaining holes (finger tight). Then removed these temporary studs one by one and replaced with the correct bolts. Then tightened everything up to spec.

Larry
Thanks Powershift. I was thinking about making some extra studs out of some cut-off bolts for this that reason. Just want to do this job once so I'll try to do it right.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:55 AM
Mike67nv
CF Senior Member

Liked 207 Times in 152 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

The gasket is stiff enough to allow the plastic studs to hold it up. This is a SBC but a BBC should be the same. Here is a pic of the studs and the gasket. The studs will also support the pan, just push it over the studs, and then you can install the screws.

The following users liked this post: Mike67nv
Desert Nomad (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 12:27 PM
Desert Nomad
CF Senior Member

Thanks "Mike67nv", nice picture. Will do the same.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: