C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Avgas 100LL

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 12:49 PM
Brumbach
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Grabbed my 5 gal can and went to the AP. No one in the terminal so went out the main hanger. Great bunch of guys working on one a/c engine or another. Inquired about the avgas and the manager took me to the flight line and showed me how to pay and operate the pump. Turns out the price was $4.50 per gal. He gave me the electronic gate code and told me to help myself anytime. The only precaution was must be placed in a container and not directly into a vehicle. What a deal! Not sure what blend ratio I'll use but will clearly be able to avoid E from this day forward. I can get 89 octane w/o ethanol but not premium. So a good blending of the 89 with avgas might be the best. Gonna run straight avgas for a little while just because I can. Thanks
Old 04-16-2019, 12:56 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Brumbach
Grabbed my 5 gal can and went to the AP. No one in the terminal so went out the main hanger. Great bunch of guys working on one a/c engine or another. Inquired about the avgas and the manager took me to the flight line and showed me how to pay and operate the pump. Turns out the price was $4.50 per gal. He gave me the electronic gate code and told me to help myself anytime. The only precaution was must be placed in a container and not directly into a vehicle. What a deal! Not sure what blend ratio I'll use but will clearly be able to avoid E from this day forward. I can get 89 octane w/o ethanol but not premium. So a good blending of the 89 with avgas might be the best. Gonna run straight avgas for a little while just because I can. Thanks
That's been my experience too.

The local airports want to sell product.. The 5 to 10 gallons they sell to you or to me won't make anyone's radar screen.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:06 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Almost seems like we may have touched on this before but for those trying to make an informed decision here are a few facts. It's oft repeated here that hardened seats are unnecessary. While you may very well sneak by with heads that have been run a long time with as cast seats if you have a fresh valve job it opens Pandora's box. Fresh ground seats can erode quite quickly. Here are some pics of a forum member that took his Corvette heads in for rebuild. As you can see there is no other option than to install seats in these heads. A machinist that knows what he's doing can and will install the seats without hitting water. If you have 1.600/2.02 that's an entirely different scenario. Due to the thickness between the seats and the fact that these heads were designed for 1.5 exhaust valves it would be very difficult to install them without issue. Previously when I posted these pics it was suggested this might be a bad valve job. This is NOT due to a valve job grinding into the head this is what seat recession looks like. Earlier it was stated GM never installed seats in heads. They installed seats in heads used in heavy duty applications such as 1 tons, vans, buses. They installed seats in the 906 vortex heads in the 90s and in 454s used in duallys and in other cases I would guess. I've asked before, I would love to see a link to ANY machine shop that will rebuild a set of early heads without installing seats AND offer a warranty.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:26 AM
napa68
Burning Brakes

Received 266 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
people's republik of kalifornia.
lmao
Old 04-21-2019, 01:26 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

If you run it for the sake of it knock yourself out, most these cars just dont need it nor have the CR claimed.
I run Ca 91 pee on this unless its hot...or I want to add timing and really beat on it .Not quite 12:1 no signs of pre igntion anywhere.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:34 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

A lot of it depends on combustion chamber shape and the characteristics of a particular engine. My Pontiac GTO engines will not run on 91 octane with stock compression, which is about 10.5:1 (advertised as 10.75) I had to drop the '67 down to 9.3 (still pings on 91 on a hot day) and I use race gas in the '65 (heads were milled and it is a true 11:1). My '61 Corvette with a 383 stroker is about 11:1, and runs fine on 91 octane. Had to play with the distributor advance curve a little, but it's amazing. I'm freshening it up right now, but planning on leaving the compression right where it is. The throttle response is nice an sharp.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:32 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Compression ratios are calculated statically.. In other words, they don't take valve overlap, flow rate, etc. into consideration.
My LT-1 (11:1) also runs fine on pump 91.

Quick Reply: Avgas 100LL