C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clarification about C2 body numbers?

Old 04-15-2019, 09:16 PM
Easy Rhino
CF Senior Member

Liked 615 Times in 506 Posts
Default Clarification about C2 body numbers?

You know, the ones between 1-500 that people find grease penciled on the C2 major body components, and occasionally only the end of the heads.

I was searching old threads about locations one could see these numbers, and reread the John Hinkley article "Alphabet Soup" that discussed the ECLs and their use in forecasting parts supplies.

In one of those old threads there was a statement to the effect that AOSmith bodies didn't use the body numbers; however, if not, how were parts for option codes forecast for supplies for the nearly half of C2 bodies built in Ionia?

Am I misunderstanding? Were they used on AOSmith bodies or not? If not, how were parts forecast for AOSmith cars?
Old 04-15-2019, 09:53 PM
68hemi
CF Senior Member

Liked 530 Times in 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino View Post
You know, the ones between 1-500 that people find grease penciled on the C2 major body components, and occasionally only the end of the heads.

I was searching old threads about locations one could see these numbers, and reread the John Hinkley article "Alphabet Soup" that discussed the ECLs and their use in forecasting parts supplies.

In one of those old threads there was a statement to the effect that AOSmith bodies didn't use the body numbers; however, if not, how were parts for option codes forecast for supplies for the nearly half of C2 bodies built in Ionia?

Am I misunderstanding? Were they used on AOSmith bodies or not? If not, how were parts forecast for AOSmith cars?
From the build sheet for your car. That was it's purpose.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:07 PM
ricks327
CF Senior Member

Liked 1,043 Times in 583 Posts

On my 1967 St. Louis body the job numbers are on the passenger side footwell and the interior of both doors, never had to remove the gas tank to see the rear bulkhead. My VIN ended in 135 and the job number was 137 which is indicated on the build/tank sheet.(67 only).

Old 04-17-2019, 09:58 PM
JohnZ
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 995 Times in 661 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino View Post

A.O. Smith had a different internal system for tracking/scheduling production, but the key is not to forget that ALL CORVETTE PRODUCTION MATERIAL WAS SCHEDULED BY CHEVROLET; A.O. Smith-Ionia was simply the delivery address for the shipments scheduled by Chevrolet for use by A.O. Smith to build bodies. Ionia didn't just dream up which bodies to build and ship - each one was scheduled/ordered by Chevrolet in advance, and the St. Louis-installed production material which was delivered to St. Louis was scheduled to be physically on-hand at St. Louis at least 3 days prior to the rail delivery date of that particular body from Ionia to St. Louis.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:10 PM
pop23235
CF Senior Member

Liked 196 Times in 167 Posts

AOS did use body numbers. My 64 has numbers. Now only the rear bulkhead is visible as the firewall got cleaned and blacked out by my painter with some extra blaclpaint.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:47 PM
ptjsk
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 489 Times in 382 Posts

I still have the numbers on the '63. Rear, in front of gas tank. Front on the passenger side of the firewall, and the numbers on each of the interior doors.

Looked mine up. Not really applicable as mine was built in St. Louis.

Pat

Last edited by ptjsk; 04-18-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:40 AM
Easy Rhino
CF Senior Member

Liked 615 Times in 506 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
A.O. Smith had a different internal system for tracking/scheduling production, but the key is not to forget that ALL CORVETTE PRODUCTION MATERIAL WAS SCHEDULED BY CHEVROLET; A.O. Smith-Ionia was simply the delivery address for the shipments scheduled by Chevrolet for use by A.O. Smith to build bodies. Ionia didn't just dream up which bodies to build and ship - each one was scheduled/ordered by Chevrolet in advance, and the St. Louis-installed production material which was delivered to St. Louis was scheduled to be physically on-hand at St. Louis at least 3 days prior to the rail delivery date of that particular body from Ionia to St. Louis.
Thanks, John. That info, combined with your article I mentioned previously clears it up for me, and makes complete sense.

Originally Posted by pop23235 View Post
AOS did use body numbers. My 64 has numbers. Now only the rear bulkhead is visible as the firewall got cleaned and blacked out by my painter with some extra blaclpaint.
Cool, thanks.

Last edited by Easy Rhino; 04-18-2019 at 06:40 AM.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: