C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Fit problem after chroming

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 07:17 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Fit problem after chroming

So I went to trial fit the rechrome windshield posts and they will not fit over the metal frame. It doesn't look like there is a lot of copper and chrome in the channel. Is this common and what side would you grind the material from?
Thanks,
Joe

Old 05-16-2019, 08:03 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

If the pieces required any straightening, that could be a reason. I would adjust only in areas that will be covered up (I know, my perception of the obvious is phenomenal).
Old 05-16-2019, 10:34 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

It depends on the area, but some items need to be taped before chrome as it builds up where pieces join. Also screw holes need to have a screw in them so that area does not build up and you can't get the screws in
Old 05-17-2019, 07:14 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

These pieces are heavy die cast so they don't need straightening.
Anyone have this problem?
I have another set and fit over the channel good.
So I guess I will do some grinding.
I did put screws on holes but I never thought this area would be a problem.
Joe
Old 05-17-2019, 07:27 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Rich Mozzetta (rich5962) has posted about the C1 problems with chrome "accretion" at length several times....concerning windshield pillars and door posts. You can look for those posts Joe but I may have seen them on the NCRS site; otherwise PM me and I can get you his contact info. The problems you're having aren't uncommon and I had them with the door posts on my 61.. IIRC it took some VERY careful grinding to get things to mate nicely but you may want to confirm that.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:47 AM
59er
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Joe great to see a familiar handle as I may be back in the hobby if a deal goes through.

Maybe you remember me from back when our forum webpages were still up?

Mate if its only a hair width you need I'd be grinding the steel channel (only a slither though) before the cast piece as if you grind the chrome/nickel/copper it may leave it susceptible to peeling or degredation from the cut edge although I have ground/sanded chrome before with no noticable issues.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:08 AM
0Corvettes by George
Former Vendor

Received 152 Likes on 101 Posts

Remove the center stainless header trim (this piece should be installed after the assembled windshield assembly is mounted back on the car), then check the post/header bar fitment. The curved end of the header bar/ relative to the post curve does not allow the pieces to be “laterally” pushed together; they need to be inserted with the curved areas aligned( there is some lateral movement available after the header bar is in position).

agree with above recommendations concerning grinding—- grind the metal rather than the chrome.
The following users liked this post:
plaidside (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 09:48 AM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Rich Mozzetta (rich5962) has posted about the C1 problems with chrome "accretion" at length several times....concerning windshield pillars and door posts. You can look for those posts Joe but I may have seen them on the NCRS site; otherwise PM me and I can get you his contact info. The problems you're having aren't uncommon and I had them with the door posts on my 61.. IIRC it took some VERY careful grinding to get things to mate nicely but you may want to confirm that.
Frankie is exactly right. I had my stuff chromed by a very good chrome plater, but like 99.999999% of them, he didn't know that the area in question needs to be taped, Rich had to fit mine off the car with careful grinding and fitting. I knew as soon as I saw your pictures that you were going to have trouble fitting them. But it is fixable
Old 05-17-2019, 05:10 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 59er
Hey Joe great to see a familiar handle as I may be back in the hobby if a deal goes through.
Maybe you remember me from back when our forum webpages were still up?
Mate if its only a hair width you need I'd be grinding the steel channel (only a slither though) before the cast piece as if you grind the chrome/nickel/copper it may leave it susceptible to peeling or degredation from the cut edge although I have ground/sanded chrome before with no noticable issues.
The forum took the website down but I still have all the photos and text.
Joe
Old 05-17-2019, 05:12 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Thanks Frankie and all others.
I did grind the inside of the posts slowly and carefully and I did get them on.
1960fi, that is a great suggestion.
Joe
Old 05-17-2019, 05:19 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Every time I read one of these windshield threads for the first gen cars I have nightmares for about a week. Thank God I sold my 1915 Ford......I no longer stare at the ceiling late at night wondering when the original crankshaft is going to snap in half. I just love the old car hobby!!

Get notified of new replies

To Fit problem after chroming

Quick Reply: [C1] Fit problem after chroming