C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

CCW in C2?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 08:23 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,326 Likes on 2,774 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Make sure you know the laws of all the states you will going through. It looks like a gun friendly route, but you never know.

What flies just fine in AZ, doesn't work so well west of the Colorado river.

Doug
Very very true. There’s a couple of land mines travelling across the country to Carlisle as well.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:33 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

For me.... I have a battery disconnect that has a 1/20 bolt that makes contact... So I take the thumb screw all the way out of the disconnect whenever I go anywhere....

I'm not a smart man but I also think that anyone wanting to steal a car won't take a 1/20 bolt with them to engage the battery.

I always take the thumb screw out and put it in my pocket. The only time it came to be an issue was when I took one of my employee's to watch a Louisville basketball game for lunch and it began to rain... my 62 hasn't been wet since 1980 and I didn't want this to be the first occasion... and then when trying to get it going, he dropped the screw trying to put it in place when the rain hit. We were only 3 blocks from my office so I had him run back there and get me a screw.... But who goes to steal a car with a 1/20 bolt... without a bolt the car won't start and has no power.... I've been lucky I suppose but I've only put 3700 miles on the car since 1980.

IMHO

E
Old 06-12-2019, 01:10 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
For me.... I have a battery disconnect that has a 1/20 bolt that makes contact... So I take the thumb screw all the way out of the disconnect whenever I go anywhere....

I'm not a smart man but I also think that anyone wanting to steal a car won't take a 1/20 bolt with them to engage the battery.

I always take the thumb screw out and put it in my pocket. The only time it came to be an issue was when I took one of my employee's to watch a Louisville basketball game for lunch and it began to rain... my 62 hasn't been wet since 1980 and I didn't want this to be the first occasion... and then when trying to get it going, he dropped the screw trying to put it in place when the rain hit. We were only 3 blocks from my office so I had him run back there and get me a screw.... But who goes to steal a car with a 1/20 bolt... without a bolt the car won't start and has no power.... I've been lucky I suppose but I've only put 3700 miles on the car since 1980.

IMHO

E

I just leave my German Shepherd police dog in the car. No problems!
Old 06-12-2019, 01:39 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by vettebuyer6369
Very very true. There’s a couple of land mines travelling across the country to Carlisle as well.
I've had a CCW in various states on the east coast for 44 years (except for a short stint living in Maryland), Florida reciprocates with most states that I ever travel through... As far as lethal force used in property crimes....as in the instance I cited above there is no guarantee an armed criminal won't shoot you anyway.... If you follow the rules in Florida you shouldn't have a protracted legal battle, most likely, none at all...
Old 06-12-2019, 05:59 PM
Fordracer9
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Man, what did I start here? LOL! Some good advice, and suggestions that I'm going to look into. As always, a firearm is a last resort. I also carry one of these in the car. https://www.vtchrome.com/products/vo...7-tire-checker
Old 06-12-2019, 06:06 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Fordracer9
Man, what did I start here? LOL! Some good advice, and suggestions that I'm going to look into. As always, a firearm is a last resort. I also carry one of these in the car. https://www.vtchrome.com/products/vo...7-tire-checker
There are certainly non-lethal solutions — OC spray and tasers.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:06 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

How do you check tire pressure with a bat?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Steve
Old 06-12-2019, 06:15 PM
Fordracer9
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RatDog
How do you check tire pressure with a bat?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Steve
Whack the tire and listen to the thud. A flat trailer tire has a drastically different sound than a fully inflated one, but could visually be unnoticed.
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 06:49 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Fordracer9
Whack the tire and listen to the thud. A flat trailer tire has a drastically different sound than a fully inflated one, but could visually be unnoticed.
Thanks for the explanation. I learned something new. And to think, all these years, I’ve been wasting money on tire pressure gauges trying to find one that’s accurate.

Steve
Old 06-12-2019, 06:56 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,728 Likes on 810 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Make sure you know the laws of all the states you will going through. It looks like a gun friendly route, but you never know.

What flies just fine in AZ, doesn't work so well west of the Colorado river.

Doug
Doug makes and excellent point. Has anyone ever examined the hand gun laws in NYC?
Old 06-12-2019, 07:02 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
There are certainly non-lethal solutions — OC spray and tasers.
Never bring pepper spray to a gun fight.
That said, there are different types of spray.
This is what you want, often referred to as Black Jesus:
https://dpsoc.com/black_label.htm

Now, back to reality.

You are not going to get accosted driving down the road,and probably not parked or walking anywhere unless you are in the wrong part of town. Why are you in the wrong part of town to begin with? If someone wants to road rage you, turn the corner, getting into gunfight in the middle of the street is not good idea, unless you are trapped in stopped traffic, and he is breaking in your window.

The only real scenario i can come up with for possibly needing to carry a firearm concealed, is if you are broken down someplace, by your self, in some lonely place, if you are not in the wrong part of town. Or doing something at 3 AM. See above.

And be in bed by 10 PM. I am aware of an ex-police officer that went bar hopping and pulled a gun on someone that was hassling him in the bar parking lot at 2 AM. Note Ex.

And I am in the firearms business.

Protip: if you are lost,and you start to see signs in foreign languages or unsavory types hanging out, turn around quickly and go back and get lost somewhere else.

Yes, I always have a gun close by at home or in my vehicle, I will take it into a hotel room at night, or stick it in my back pocket if I have to go to someplace not so upscale, for work related things, or into building that presents the opportunity for robbery, a corner convenience store, or possibly a bank, or on an extended walk in someplace i am not familiar with,but I wouldn't ever try to be a hero in a situation.. I have had people drive into remote camp sites late at night, and I have found standing there with an AR-15, or suppressed M-16, when they come into view, makes them go away quickly without having to say anything.

Watch your surroundings, one, two or three punks on the sidewalk in front of you means you need to cross the street, if they cross, turn around, or figure out some other exit strategy.

And concealed carry, means concealed, not having your shirt covering an obvious bulge on your hip, you are setting yourself up to get shot or robbed of your gun from behind, if your gun is printing.

Run Away, should be your first option, if that isn't possible, well, do what you need to do.

I have bluffed before, in NYC, 30 some years ago late at night 8th ave about 46 st. Some guy started trailing me, even after a couple go across the street maneuvers, so i stopped, turned around, and whipped back my london Fog trench coat and put my right hand behind my hip and held it there, like you'd see Sam Elliot do in a western, and stood there. He was probably about 100 feet behind me. He paused for about 2 seconds, turned around and left.

Doug
ChattanoogaJSB (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 07:06 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton
Doug makes and excellent point. Has anyone ever examined the hand gun laws in NYC?
Or Chicago, and numerous otehr places. NY, IL, NJ, MA and CA are not gun friendly. probably a couple other states, also.But in answer to your question: NYC is almost impossible for anyone to posses a hand gun, much less carry it.

Doug

Last edited by AZDoug; 06-12-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:14 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Or Chicago, and numerous otehr places. NY, IL, NJ, MA and CA are not gun friendly. probably a couple other states, also.But in answer to your question: NYC is almost impossible for anyone to posses a hand gun, much less carry it.

Doug
A friend of mine, ex-cop in Ct town, but lives in NY state. He has a Ct license and a federal license. He was going to Yankee game with a NY cop friend. NY cop, off duty could not carry his gun into the stadium, my friend could but only because he has the federal license.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:16 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

I posted on here years ago that while driving my Pennant Blue '54 from my shop to my house that I had a meathead tracking me for about 10 miles. I took him for a several mile joy ride which included several mid street u-turns just to make sure it wasn't my own paranoia. I called the police after I managed to get behind him and get his license plate number. My six banger couldn't keep up with the guy as he took off. They said good on me for being observant. The plates were stolen. This was not long after a classic was carjacked at gunpoint about 30 minutes from my house.

I have a CCW issued by the Orange County Sheriff's Department, but it's not in case someone wants my take my car. I gave sufficient "Good Cause" years ago when I applied and it was approved. So, when I get in my '67 Coupe to drive it I don't need the haters and future victims questioning why I am armed. In fact they will never know. I just need to know the best way to carry to keep it concealed and accessible as I agreed to do when the OCSD gave me their blessings.
The following 2 users liked this post by Randy G.:
ptjsk (06-12-2019), vettebuyer6369 (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 07:54 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton
NY has no problem turning an out of state law abiding citizen with a clear record into an inmate because they werent prepared for their anti gun laws.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:01 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Randy G.
I posted on here years ago that while driving my Pennant Blue '54 from my shop to my house that I had a meathead tracking me for about 10 miles. I took him for a several mile joy ride which included several mid street u-turns just to make sure it wasn't my own paranoia. I called the police after I managed to get behind him and get his license plate number. My six banger couldn't keep up with the guy as he took off. They said good on me for being observant. The plates were stolen. This was not long after a classic was carjacked at gunpoint about 30 minutes from my house.
Its a CA/NY thing, where they know you are most likely not armed. The number of CCW permits in Orange county, only numbers into the several dozen, IIRC from what I read once. You must have had a good reason.

Doesn't happen much in places like AZ and MT, where everybody is.

Turning into the Fullerton police station probably would have made him go away.

Doug
Old 06-12-2019, 08:48 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

NY has no problem turning an out of state law abiding citizen with a clear record into an inmate because they werent prepared for their anti gun laws.
This is true. NYC is very unforgiving,including travelers changing flights in NYC.

Get notified of new replies

To CCW in C2?

Old 06-12-2019, 09:42 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

NY has no problem turning an out of state law abiding citizen with a clear record into an inmate because they weren't prepared for their anti gun laws.
Yes, NY totally ignores the federal FOPA, Firearms Owners Protection Act, which says travelers going thru NY, but not stopping,are immune from NY gun laws.

You will probably eventually beat the rap, but not after spending tens of thousands of $$. And spending some time in jail until you can bond out.

Sorry NY residents, but your state is a totalitarian anti-constitution, statist shithole. I will not go there anymore. I won't even do business with a NY based business, if i can help it. I do miss the restaurants.

Doug

Last edited by AZDoug; 06-12-2019 at 09:43 PM.
ptjsk (06-12-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 07:28 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Being a bit more analytical -- on-body carry in a car (short of the aforementioned shoulder holster) is pretty impractical for "social situations" which may occur while driving and wearing seat belts. I guess appendix or cross draw carry would be a second choice, possibly uncomfortable with larger guns while seated and driving I would think.

For right-handers, "on-car" mounting selections are very limited in a C2 to satisfy accessibility with a bit of inconspicuousness.

Pretty much limited (moving from front to back) to some arrangement on the radio side panel or under the metal dash (magnetic mount ?) near the parking brake (on an early midyear). A floor/carpet fixture as pictured above (prob the best arrangement). Or, something at the fore or aft parts of the seat on one side of the transmission hump or the other with a possible variation be something down on the seat tracks similar to some fire extinguisher mountings.

The C2 coupe could offer some overhead option at a stretch but that seems impractical too....

So - pick your poison, none of the solutions are particularly elegant..

Then there is the practical matter of actually using a firearm seated in a car; there is a reason LEOs approach vehicles at an extreme angle from the left rear; its hard for a criminal to aim and fire at someone from the driver's seat towards that area.

Car jackers know this too .. and there is no good way to ensure your backstop shooting rearward across your left shoulder isn't dangerous to others too...

All in all, your best bet is avoidance in every case possible...

Spend some time on the youtube channel called "Active Self Protection" and there are ton of videos with subsequent analysis that delve into these issues.

That's all from me as this thread can go way sideways if allowed...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 06-13-2019 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:03 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Addressing the OPs question, as Frankie suggests, I don’t know that there’s a clean spot in the C2 interior. I don’t think I’d want a semi permanent holster mount that could be seen by someone when the car is unattended, even if empty. This could entice a different crowd to smash n grab the weapon when it might be in there at a later date.

Id prefer the thought be put into the tool that’s carried and its retention on my person, rather than placing it somewhere in the cabin where I’m fumbling for it. I think for this type scenario, a small 380 ( like the Glock 42, single stack) in a waistband setup, Cross drawn is optimal. That way a RH shooter could literally draw from a seated position and the muzzle would be naturally facing the door panel/open door/window target area.

Quick Reply: CCW in C2?