Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Loose in Column

Old 06-25-2019, 12:58 PM
FLYNAVY30
CF Senior Member

Received 324 Likes on 199 Posts

JC,

Given that at the moment, the steering box doesn't seem to be causing any problem, I would personally leave it alone. As far as I can tell, you're really after the loose steering wheel, which is likely not being caused by the steering box.

So assuming you're going to leave the steering box in place, and replace/rebuild everything "upstream" of the box, I would personally proceed in this fashion:

- center the steering up to ensure the steering box is centered
- loosen the bolts on the rag joint and the spring clip on the steering shaft
- remove the steering wheel
- pull the steering shaft out from inside the car (will probably need to knock the rag joint off the end of the steering shaft)
- remove rag joint from steering box
- install new rag joint on steering box, being careful not to turn steering box input shaft
- install new lower steering shaft bearing
- install new upper steering shaft bearing
- slide steering shaft back into place (will need to remove original steering wheel hub, and reinstall on new steering shaft if replacing the shaft too)
- install new washer, spring, and clamp onto steering shaft before inserting end of steering shaft into rag joint (you may want to install the steering wheel on the shaft before inserting the shaft into the rag joint to ensure the steering wheel is centered as the steering box should still be centered)
- ensure steering shaft is fully seated in steering column and rag joint, then tighten down rag joint bolts
- compress lower steering shaft spring and tighten collar. (spring should be compressed to the point that you can just get a .010-.030 feeler gauge between the coils)
- reinstall steering wheel

I realize this sounds like a daunting task, but it really is very straight forward. If you have questions, or need pictures, don't hesitate to ask as you progress.

-Greg
The following users liked this post:
jc03 (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 07:35 AM
jc03
CF Member

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30 View Post
JC,

Given that at the moment, the steering box doesn't seem to be causing any problem, I would personally leave it alone. As far as I can tell, you're really after the loose steering wheel, which is likely not being caused by the steering box.

So assuming you're going to leave the steering box in place, and replace/rebuild everything "upstream" of the box, I would personally proceed in this fashion:

- center the steering up to ensure the steering box is centered
- loosen the bolts on the rag joint and the spring clip on the steering shaft
- remove the steering wheel
- pull the steering shaft out from inside the car (will probably need to knock the rag joint off the end of the steering shaft)
- remove rag joint from steering box
- install new rag joint on steering box, being careful not to turn steering box input shaft
- install new lower steering shaft bearing
- install new upper steering shaft bearing
- slide steering shaft back into place (will need to remove original steering wheel hub, and reinstall on new steering shaft if replacing the shaft too)
- install new washer, spring, and clamp onto steering shaft before inserting end of steering shaft into rag joint (you may want to install the steering wheel on the shaft before inserting the shaft into the rag joint to ensure the steering wheel is centered as the steering box should still be centered)
- ensure steering shaft is fully seated in steering column and rag joint, then tighten down rag joint bolts
- compress lower steering shaft spring and tighten collar. (spring should be compressed to the point that you can just get a .010-.030 feeler gauge between the coils)
- reinstall steering wheel

I realize this sounds like a daunting task, but it really is very straight forward. If you have questions, or need pictures, don't hesitate to ask as you progress.

-Greg
Awesome! Thanks Greg. Iím going to take your advice and hold off on the steering box. Yesterday I spoke with Brian at Bairs Corvette and got everything ordered. When I get started Iíll take pics and Iím sure run into some questions. Thanks again for everyoneís help.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:16 PM
jc03
CF Member

I think I got all the parts in. Iím leaving the rag joint and box for now but replacing most all the other stuff. I hope to get started next week.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:25 PM
FLYNAVY30
CF Senior Member

Received 324 Likes on 199 Posts

Good luck.....if you run into issues, feel free to give me a call. 585-746-9022

-Greg
The following users liked this post:
jc03 (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 01:40 PM
jc03
CF Member

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30 View Post
Good luck.....if you run into issues, feel free to give me a call. 585-746-9022

-Greg
Awesome! Thanks Greg.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Loose in Column

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: