C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Mid-Lift Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 09:51 AM
SoCalErv
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Army

Default Mid-Lift Questions

Here is my my problem I face that I need to resolve if I ever want a lift in the garage:

1. Do not have height clearance for a 4 or 2 post lift
2. Concrete has post-tension cables that have not been detected and marked
a. Most lifts I have seen require bolting the platforms to the concrete floor
b. is the detection service cost prohibitive for a small job like this?
3. Want at least 4 foot of lift, if not really do not understand the advantage of a lift vs jack & stands
4. Flush that requires concrete to be cut or above service installation
a. I park the car in the same location the lift would be installed
5. Air supply, all require. Will a small pancake compressor work?
6. Footprint available is 17' L x 9.5' W
7. Want a quality manufacturer that will be around in 10 years

Any help you can provide is appreciated.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:54 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I don’t know what a mid-lift is. Do you want 4 post or 2 post? How high is your ceiling. ?
Old 06-23-2019, 11:17 AM
SoCalErv
Burning Brakes

Army

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I don’t know what a mid-lift is. Do you want 4 post or 2 post? How high is your ceiling. ?

Here is an example of a mid-lift Bendpak MDS-6LPF 6,000-lb. Capacity / Mid-Rise Scissor Lift / Open Center / Flush Mount.

My ceiling is only 8' in height as I have beams that run lower than the actual ceiling that come into play.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:26 AM
dcamick
Tether Man
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,039 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

If your'e not concerned about gaining access to the center underside of the vehicle (transmission and drive shaft) then a Bendpak-6000XL scissor lift would be great for wheels/Tires, Suspension, brake, under engine and rear differential access.....Heights to around 40" and Capacities to 6,000 lbs.Priced at around $1,600.00 to $1,800.00.

I sit mine between two QuickLift metal ramps....works very well for the above mentions tasks.......No cavity in the concrete flooring.......

Old 06-23-2019, 11:33 AM
elwood13
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,076 Posts

I thought about those but didn’t need that much height and did not want them in one spot. I bought the quickjack instead. I can move them anywhere in the garage.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:53 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by SoCalErv
Here is my my problem I face that I need to resolve if I ever want a lift in the garage:
2. Concrete has post-tension cables that have not been detected and marked
a. Most lifts I have seen require bolting the platforms to the concrete floor
b. is the detection service cost prohibitive for a small job like this?
Is your concrete floor on grade? And by "on-grade" I mean is the concrete resting on the ground. I realize that things are different in CA, but are you sure the concrete is post-tensioned? Slabs on grade are usually not post-tensioned.

4. Flush that requires concrete to be cut or above service installation
Flush ????????

5. Air supply, all require. Will a small pancake compressor work?
I have a small contractor's compressor that I use for small jobs like filling tires and blowing off parts. Unless you are planning to run a paint booth or a sand blaster the small compressor should be fine.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:54 AM
mexicruiser
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a Bend Pack scissor lift (mine has full lift)

Bend Pack has various lift heights, but you can build a safety switch for your roof if you want to be safe.
This brand has been present for a while and has good quality.
Does not require deep anchoring but should at least be bolted to the floor so they don’t move around, especially if not flush mounted.
A small compressor is fine to handle the safety locks, not much air consumption.

I would strongly recommend flush installation for ease of access, avoiding accidents and also to avoid having to remove the ramps every time you are working on a lifted car, these are in the way and are somewhat heavy and make for a larger footprint.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:57 AM
SoCalErv
Burning Brakes

Army

Originally Posted by cbernhardt
Is your concrete floor on grade? And by "on-grade" I mean is the concrete resting on the ground. I realize that things are different in CA, but are you sure the concrete is post-tensioned? Slabs on grade are usually not post-tensioned.

Flush ????????

I have a small contractor's compressor that I use for small jobs like filling tires and blowing off parts. Unless you are planning to run a paint booth or a sand blaster the small compressor should be fine.
My floor definitely has post-tension. The entire house slab is on-grade with post-tension. I live in Southern California.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:59 AM
SoCalErv
Burning Brakes

Army

Originally Posted by elwood13
I thought about those but didn’t need that much height and did not want them in one spot. I bought the quickjack instead. I can move them anywhere in the garage.

I need to be able to drive and park on the ramps, no room to move them and store them. Manuals I have read online states that driving on the Quick Jack will cause damage to the hydraulic hoses
Old 06-24-2019, 11:12 AM
427/42566 coup
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

contact Mohawk lifts Mohawk n.y.They manufacture different styles of lifts.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:33 AM
3154tm
Pro

Received 98 Likes on 67 Posts

this might be a little extreme but if you're handy.......
depending on the span and which way the trusses in your garage are oriented you
might be able to create a "tray" in the ceiling to gain a couple extra feet of clearance.

Last edited by 3154tm; 06-24-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:48 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

You don't give a ceiling height but if you have room, I'd get regular four post lift. Just run it up as high as you need. Do your tinkering off a roll around chair underneath. I know a guy that had a lift in his basement that did this. Worked great. You still have full underneath access.

Column height on this one is 86 inches.

The following users liked this post:
dcamick (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 11:53 AM
elwood13
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,076 Posts

You can just push them together and straddle them. I’ve talked to several people that do that.
The following users liked this post:
cardo0 (06-28-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 06:17 PM
SoCalErv
Burning Brakes

Army

[QUOTE=elwood13;1599636733]You can just push them together and straddle them. I’ve talked to several people that do that.[/QUOTE

Ah, so simple that I did not think of this option.

Thanks.

My ceiling clearance is 8 feet as there are lower beams that come into play. As for cutting a cavity I have bedrooms above the garage ceiling.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:31 PM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

I had a Max-Jack. Worked fine with my 8' ceiling. Needs at least a 4" slab for bolting down. I did need to change to a side motor door opener.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:10 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by MikeM
You don't give a ceiling height but if you have room, I'd get regular four post lift. Just run it up as high as you need. Do your tinkering off a roll around chair underneath. I know a guy that had a lift in his basement that did this. Worked great. You still have full underneath access.

AND you don't need to bolt a 4 post to the floor. In fact the make roller kits for the 4 posts so you can roll the entire lift outside for things like power washing the underside of the car. I had my 4 post in my garage and later outside on a parking pad and never had it bolted down.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:17 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,035 Posts

If you mean your floor have rebar reinforcing it it, then cutting the rebar is normal during anchor installation. This is done quite often with a diamond tipped bit. If you actually have "Post Tensioning" cables, you definitely do not want to cut them and should rent a metal detector to find them before drilling. Metal detectors for this purpose are probably available at a construction equipment rental store where they rent rotary hammers for installing the anchors. I have never seen "Post Tensioning" in a residential slab on grade, but then I have never lived in California.

Ron

Get notified of new replies

To Mid-Lift Questions

Old 06-26-2019, 07:49 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by MikeM

That's the lift I have -- sold under a dozen names. The OP said earlier his ceiling is 8' with beams running below that so I'm thinking the 4 post is out as an option - but I've used my lift just as you described at times....some jobs are just easier tolling around on a stool under the car.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:40 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/Default.asp They will answer all your questions.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:12 PM
Dad's '66 427
Drifting

Received 1,555 Likes on 612 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by R66
If you mean your floor have rebar reinforcing it it, then cutting the rebar is normal during anchor installation. This is done quite often with a diamond tipped bit. If you actually have "Post Tensioning" cables, you definitely do not want to cut them and should rent a metal detector to find them before drilling. Metal detectors for this purpose are probably available at a construction equipment rental store where they rent rotary hammers for installing the anchors. I have never seen "Post Tensioning" in a residential slab on grade, but then I have never lived in California.

Ron
When we are coring, or cutting into, a PT slab, we have it 'scanned' to find out where the cables are. Not sure a metal detector would do that well, other than to just give you a range of where the cables could be. Have not seen PT in a residential SOG either, but then I am not in CA either.

Another thing to watch for, if you have no idea what is in a slab, is electrical conduit. Not common in residential, but you never know what has been run through a slab. We were on a job that everyone said was clear, and the only thing that prevented the deaths of three workers was the fact that they were using an electric saw cutter. Fortunately, when the saw cut into a conduit with 480v power, that power went through the saw and tripped the breaker. Had it been a gas powered saw, there very well could be three less people here today.....

Last edited by Dad's '66 427; 06-26-2019 at 04:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Mid-Lift Questions