C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Does your C2 take a lot of effort to turn steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 08:18 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Parallel parking is about the quickest way to get a car torn up bythe car in front and behind you.. But, if you like it, go for it.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:14 AM
jsans
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

Have you tried a few extra pounds of air pressure in the tires?
Old 06-29-2019, 07:53 AM
Big Hit
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

My experiences, having each in a C2.
Manual steering requires two hands.
Power steering requires one hand.
Power Rack and Pinion requires one finger.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:30 AM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Received 631 Likes on 419 Posts

I have factory PS in my 63 with bias-ply tires I havent driven it in 2yrs but when I did it seemed like it was to easy. Jumping from my Nissan which is like a go kart steering to old GM is different.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:17 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,513 Likes on 2,999 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
I know it's a subjective thing but it just seems like my car takes more effort then what I think it should. (This is the only C2 I have driven). I had been debating installing power steering but it seems like they should steer easier since the cars were made for men and women. The box was restored by me so that might be the problem but I used past threads to go by in adjusting. My restoration consisted of cleaning out box, new grease and gaskets. Everything else seem OK. It's a little snug when wheels are pointing straight but I think it is suppose to be like that so car will not sway. If I send it off, any recommendation who to send to, thanks
I don't find C2s difficult to steer at all and I've driven all of the following:

'63 manual with tie rods in slow position
'63 manual with tie rods in fast position (my daily driver for 12 years)
'63 PS with tie rods in fast position
'63 PS-DISABLED with tie rods in fast position

All of the above are/were easier to steer than my C1 with the caster shims.

For sheer ease of steering, nothing beats my '54 with no caster shims. That one is almost easy enough to steer with one finger (yes, except when stopped).
Old 06-29-2019, 11:27 AM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 275 Posts

Just for info, when I got the car the tie rods were connected to the front holes. I think this is where they should be if you have power steering. When I moved them to the back holes, effort on turning steering wheel was a lot better. But I still need more ease.

Different subject. The related threads is a good idea I guess but at times I end up responding to a 4 year or older thread.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:02 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

That maybe a good idea. I have 30 pounds at present. Not sure how much pressure a bais tire is safe at but another 2 pounds or more should not hurt.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:51 PM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default One of several threads

There have been several threads recently on the subject of PS on C2s. I added PS to my '63 and it is way too boosted. Seems GM used this assisted power steering on a number of platforms with different tuning to get the feel they wanted with each car line. Corvettes used a 55 pound spring in the control valve while passenger cars used springs that were as light as 20 pounds. After a lot of looking it seems that many of us with added or remanufactured valve how have a light spring and over boosted steering. Too bad one of our forum vendors can't get some of the right springs built and become a hero to those of us in need.

I'll continue to hunt for a used valve with the correct spring (adjustment nut cover has an X on it). If I can't find one it's off with the PS and back to Armstrong steering.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:12 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by VetteJohn
There have been several threads recently on the subject of PS on C2s. I added PS to my '63 and it is way too boosted. Seems GM used this assisted power steering on a number of platforms with different tuning to get the feel they wanted with each car line. Corvettes used a 55 pound spring in the control valve while passenger cars used springs that were as light as 20 pounds. After a lot of looking it seems that many of us with added or remanufactured valve how have a light spring and over boosted steering. Too bad one of our forum vendors can't get some of the right springs built and become a hero to those of us in need.

I'll continue to hunt for a used valve with the correct spring (adjustment nut cover has an X on it). If I can't find one it's off with the PS and back to Armstrong steering.

You are right on the mark with this info and the reason many give the factory PS a bad rap. My 1965 has the original PS and I LOVE it.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:39 PM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 68hemi
I don't know about C2s but C1s require shims in the front suspension to get the extra camber needed.
The shims are for increasing the caster, not camber.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:54 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Originally Posted by VetteJohn

I called Lonestar and told them I've read threads about the lighter spring being a problem. He said nonsense. The lighter spring works as well as the 50 pound. But, what else can you expect a vendor to say since they do not have the 50 pound. I've considered installing PS but would rather keep the car stock. That's why I started this thread to see if maybe a box rebuilt would give me a little more ease. From what I have read, it seems like the borgeson does not have as many problems as the original design but I do not like having to cut steering shaft or the looks of the unit installed.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:37 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
I called Lonestar and told them I've read threads about the lighter spring being a problem. He said nonsense. The lighter spring works as well as the 50 pound. But, what else can you expect a vendor to say since they do not have the 50 pound. I've considered installing PS but would rather keep the car stock. That's why I started this thread to see if maybe a box rebuilt would give me a little more ease. From what I have read, it seems like the borgeson does not have as many problems as the original design but I do not like having to cut steering shaft or the looks of the unit installed.
Unless you have a documented car with an original window sticker, tank sticker or original dealer purchase order showing the options of the car you can add factory type PS and no one can prove or disprove it. MANY people have added it.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:43 PM
vdetel
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dry king pins will make a car hard to steer . Lift front end off the ground and turn wheel then to see .
Old 06-29-2019, 03:45 PM
Joemac8
Drifting

Received 2,250 Likes on 436 Posts

Unless you have a documented car with an original window sticker, tank sticker or original dealer purchase order showing the options of the car you can add factory type PS and no one can prove or disprove it. MANY people have added it.

I want to install PS. in my 67 L79. I even bought the Borgensen kit. The kit has sat in the garage for three years in the box. I am not a wrench whiz and fear I will either do harm to the car or get so confused or befuddled, that I will tear it apart and either just leave the car or really mess something up.

Last edited by Joemac8; 06-29-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:02 PM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Received 2,330 Likes on 888 Posts

Much like Jim Lockwoood, my experience is similar:

I didn't find C2s difficult to steer at all and I've driven all of the following:

'63 manual with tie rods in slow position (for ten years)
'63 manual with tie rods in fast position (for 20 years)

While I didn't find C2s difficult to steer at all, my wife thought otherwise, and I installed more modern Borgensen PS three years ago and will never regret the upgrade.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:02 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Originally Posted by Joemac8
I want to install PS. in my 67 L79. I even bought the kit. The kit has sat in the garage for three years in the box. I am not a wrench whiz and fear I will either do harm to the car or get so confused or befuddled, that I will tear it apart and either just leave the car or really mess something up.
It is a simple direct bolt on deal. The biggest problem most have is getting it to center/return properly but that has been discussed and detailed here in the forum. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself take it to a mechanic and any of them will be able to look at the existing manual steering and the kit and see how easy it is.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:09 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You have to be a bit careful installing power steering, if assembled incorrectly the steering wheel can whip around to one or the other extremes swiftly - all the way to the lock... It happened to me when I screwed up putting a new power steering system on a '66 Mustang, did no damage, but it was scary...

Get notified of new replies

To Does your C2 take a lot of effort to turn steering wheel

Old 06-29-2019, 05:21 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
You have to be a bit careful installing power steering, if assembled incorrectly the steering wheel can whip around to one or the other extremes swiftly - all the way to the lock... It happened to me when I screwed up putting a new power steering system on a '66 Mustang, did no damage, but it was scary...

That is what I was referring to about centering and returning in my above post.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:09 AM
RonCL55
Pro

Received 472 Likes on 260 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

You are right on the mark with this info and the reason many give the factory PS a bad rap. My 1965 has the original PS and I LOVE it.
I agree. I have a 65 with factory PS and it is perfect. I cruise at 80 with a 14 inch steering wheel and it is perfect. I am in control, there is no steering wobble and the car runs straight and true. I can also easily parallel park.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:47 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I think a factor many of us don't want to deal with is getting older with lessened upper body strength and loss of muscle tone.

There -- I said it. The accumulation of birthdays is the 'dirty little secret' that is tough for many of us to face head on.

I'm a fit 68 year old with no health problems and I hit the gym 3 days a week with weight training and I can feel the years still taking their toll. I'm no wimp but there are times when the 63 manual steering gets to me too, particularly in tight quarters.
I've had to move back and forth to park at some car shows and finally exited the parked car with sore "man *****".

Its not enough for me to go to power steering (yet) but the thought does cross my mind.... And every once in a while my left knee gets "creaky" after enough clutch depressions on a long drive. But no automatic for me...

I'll fight the good fight until I can't anymore...and I'm cruising around the grocery store in one of those "Fat-illac" scooters; all "pizzed-off" because I can't remember what shelf they keep the Maalox on.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 06-30-2019 at 06:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Frankie the Fink:
6D2148 (06-30-2019), DansYellow66 (06-30-2019)

Quick Reply: [C2] Does your C2 take a lot of effort to turn steering wheel