Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[C1] Are axles different for posi and non-posi?

Old 07-03-2019, 08:54 PM
plaidside
CF Senior Member

Received 372 Likes on 237 Posts
Default Are axles different for posi and non-posi?

I helped install a non-posi rear in my friends 60 the other day because he had a 4:56 posi in there.
He just called me and he claims the axles will not go in and they slip right into the posi-rear.
Are there different axles/spline for non-posi?
Thanks,
Joe
Old 07-03-2019, 09:44 PM
jim lockwood
CF Senior Member

Received 615 Likes on 437 Posts

So, Joe, the only reason the axles won't go in seems to be he can't get the splines to mesh?
Old 07-03-2019, 10:23 PM
Joe Inama
CF Senior Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Can’t remember but either the posi axles are longer or the non posi. I have some spacers that go on c1 axels but can’t remember which ones are longer . Sorry
Old 07-03-2019, 10:45 PM
Robert61
CF Senior Member

Received 405 Likes on 351 Posts

DZAuto, Tom, has explained this at least a few times. I don't remember what he said. A Google search of axle lengths corvette forum c1 should find the answer.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:10 AM
427390HP
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Found this in another thread. Compliments of Tom (DZAUTO):

Originally Posted by DZAUTO

With that said, ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL, repeat, ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL 57 Corvettes WITHOUT,repeat, WITHOUT positraction and ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL 58-62 Corvettes (with OR without positraction), PLUS, ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL 57 Chevy passenger cars WITHOUT positraction, andALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL 58 Chevy passenger cars (with or without positraction), use the same axles. The ONLY, ONLY, ONLY difference between 57 Corvette and 57 Pass car axles and 58-62 Vette and 58 pass car axles is the BEARING. The 57 Vettes/pass cars use a thinner bearing (RW307 series bearing) than what is used on 58 pass/58-62 Vettes (RW607 series bearing).

The 1957 year model WAS THE ONLY, ONLY, ONLY time when there were separate posi and non-posi axles. In 1957, again, ONLY, when either a Corvette or pass car received positraction on the assembly line, did that car receive positraction axles. The axles for posi were 1/8 in shorter than non-posi axles.

The question frequently comes up, why did 57 only get shorter axles and NOT 58-later cars? The answer is TOOOOOOOOOOOOO SIMPLE, because in 1958 and later Vettes/cars used the thicker RW607 series bearing, which was 1/8in thicker-----------------thus, no need any longer for 2 separate axles.

ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL 55-64 pass car axles and ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL 56-62 Corvette axles have 17 splines. Thus, all the above mentioned axles will fit into ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL 55-64 (pass car or Vette) axle gears in the differential.

Last edited by 427390HP; 07-04-2019 at 01:12 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 427390HP:
Frankie the Fink (07-10-2019), plaidside (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 09:56 AM
dcamick
dcamick
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 427390hp View Post
found this in another thread. Compliments of tom (dzauto):

Originally posted by dzauto

with that said, alllllllllllllllllllllll, repeat, alllllllllllllllllll 57 corvettes without,repeat, without positraction and allllllllllllllllllll 58-62 corvettes (with or without positraction), plus, allllllllllllllll 57 chevy passenger cars without positraction, andallllllllllllllllll 58 chevy passenger cars (with or without positraction), use the same axles. The only, only, only difference between 57 corvette and 57 pass car axles and 58-62 vette and 58 pass car axles is the bearing. The 57 vettes/pass cars use a thinner bearing (rw307 series bearing) than what is used on 58 pass/58-62 vettes (rw607 series bearing).

the 1957 year model was the only, only, only time when there were separate posi and non-posi axles. In 1957, again, only, when either a corvette or pass car received positraction on the assembly line, did that car receive positraction axles. The axles for posi were 1/8 in shorter than non-posi axles.

the question frequently comes up, why did 57 only get shorter axles and not 58-later cars? The answer is tooooooooooooo simple, because in 1958 and later vettes/cars used the thicker rw607 series bearing, which was 1/8in thicker-----------------thus, no need any longer for 2 separate axles.

Alllllllllllllllllllllllll 55-64 pass car axles and allllllllllllllllll 56-62 corvette axles have 17 splines. Thus, all the above mentioned axles will fit into allllllllllllllllllll 55-64 (pass car or vette) axle gears in the differential.
alllllllllllllright!! Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Last edited by dcamick; 07-04-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:24 PM
GTOguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,258 Likes on 950 Posts

Originally Posted by dcamick View Post
alllllllllllllright!! Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!
I'll bet I'm not the only one here who would like to enlist in a DZAUTO boot camp, where us grunts would sit on bleachers as Tom bellowed at us from behind a podium, stating arcane facts and figures through a bullhorn. Failure to retain bits and pieces of vital information would result in push ups and laps being run around the compound......
Old 07-04-2019, 04:19 PM
MikeM
CF Senior Member

Received 933 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by 427390HP View Post
ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL, repeat, ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL WITHOUT,repeat, WITHOUT ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL WITHOUT positraction, andALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

THE ONLY, ONLY, ONLYTOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL .
I can read a written paragraph upside down and/or backwards before I can read this stuff and have a clue what he is talking about.

Been to three goat ropin's and five county fairs and..................................... ........................
Old 07-04-2019, 05:49 PM
GTOguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,258 Likes on 950 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I can read a written paragraph upside down and/or backwards before I can read this stuff and have a clue what he is talking about.

Been to three goat ropin's and five county fairs and..................................... ........................
Aw, C'mon, Mike....you did just fine with putt - putt- PUTT- putt -putt- putt- PUTT- putt- putt.....
Old 07-04-2019, 11:21 PM
91DRM
CF Senior Member

Received 113 Likes on 105 Posts

Tom aka Big Toe.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:03 PM
DZAUTO
CF Senior Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 564 Posts
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Would someone else with better grammatical skills please respond to the original question and provide a better solution and answer to the question so that he can get the axles installed?
I apologize for trying to emphasize details which intuitively seemed to be important.

It seems that some individuals criticize and belittle anything and everything which is posted by others, no matter what the subject matter may be. I do not understand it!

Last edited by DZAUTO; 07-07-2019 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:08 PM
DZAUTO
CF Senior Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 564 Posts
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MikeM View Post

All I can say is that if you are displeased with my comments to questions, ESPECIALLY questions that are frequently asked and are often confusing to some people--------------------------------THEN DON'T READ THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-10-2019, 01:21 PM
MikeM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by DZAUTO View Post
All I can say is that if you are displeased with my comments to questions, ESPECIALLY questions that are frequently asked and are often confusing to some people--------------------------------THEN DON'T READ THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my constant search for knowledge, I read all your posts and you seldom misspeak. You just make it tough to read (and confusing) for no reason. Wading through all those exclamation points and the stuck shift key is like a cross eyed batter up trying to hit the baseball.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:19 PM
62cruiseer
CF Senior Member

Received 98 Likes on 69 Posts

Keep the posts coming Tom, as it is greatly appreciated by all. The bold print and emphasis with shift key just lets me know what follows is important. The depth of your knowledge is awesome.
The following users liked this post:
silver837 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 04:41 PM
MikeM
CF Senior Member

Why not just use the bold button instead of all the exclamation marks and locking the shift key. Much easier on the old eyes.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:50 PM
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,015 Likes on 3,084 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy View Post
Aw, C'mon, Mike....you did just fine with putt - putt- PUTT- putt -putt- putt- PUTT- putt- putt.....
Good grief....

Tom is always the definitive answer on this stuff and keeps it in his memory banks no less...
Something my aged brain finds a chore...

I still have to look up his posts to remember how many teeth are on a C1 flywheel ring

Now - if some would just forget the putt-putt-PUTT stuff I would be grateful..

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-10-2019 at 04:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
62cruiseer (07-11-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 05:30 PM
68hemi
CF Senior Member

Received 637 Likes on 487 Posts

We all have a different way of emphasizing things in our posts. When I want to emphasize a written word I capitalized it, some consider it shouting on the net but that is the way I speak buy raising my voice on a given word. I also quote a post I am responding to so people know who I am speaking to and bold the portion of their post I am responding to and then bold my comments. We all have our idiosyncrasies.

I have met Tom in person and he is a great guy and always willing to share his knowledge so give him a break as to how he gets his point across.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:25 PM
MikeM
CF Senior Member

My only interest is to get responses presented in some kind of intelligent manner where they are readable. I don't need to see ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL and !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! to know what is important in a sentence. Maybe some of you do?

I went to school in Indiana. Maybe they teach differently in Oklahoma? Or wherever you like to see ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL and !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?
Old 07-10-2019, 06:28 PM
MikeM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
Now - if some would just forget the putt-putt-PUTT stuff I would be grateful..

You are the one that solely put that in motion. Nobody else. How is your PUtter doing lately by the way?
Old 07-10-2019, 06:44 PM
tgtexas02
CF Senior Member

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO View Post
I was casually catching up on forum posts and having a Stella when I read Tom's above reply with a mouth full of beer. I have no idea why but it was so funny to me to read the end in bold print,,,ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL all my beer came out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!. Tom, I read everything you respond to and I personally don't care how you relay it. Its your trademark to me. Bill

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C1] Are axles different for posi and non-posi?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: