Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chrome parts

Old 07-10-2019, 11:03 PM
vetteman64
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am sure that I spent more redoing original parts than buying new reproductions but I believe most C1/C2 Corvette owners (especially on this forum) are not into these cars thinking they are cheap. I mostly used/purchased original Corvette parts, too many stories of ill fitting reproductions or less than new finishes on these repros. I highly recommend Sherm's in Sacramento CA, they did all my chrome needs and polishing parts too. And I will add that chroming/polishing is pricy whether it is for the cheapest Chevette or the most expensive Corvette.
C Ya, Joseph Rock
Frankenstein 59
Old 07-11-2019, 12:24 PM
Rdelvalle
CF Senior Member

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Reproduction parts, chrome, emblems and others have very bad quality, fitment and finish. I learned the hard way during the restoration of my 59. The reproduction parts that I bought were awful and very expensive. At first when I started the restoration I was exited and gung ho to buy reproduction parts until I started receiving them and realizing that I would not put them in my car as they had very poor quality. My car was sort of a barn find as it had been stored in an open garage seating idle for six years. So it has taken me one year and eight months of hard labor to restore it to like new condition. The hood and the trunk emblems I was going to buy reproductions but after close examination I found out they are very bad. The letters are rounded off and looks cheap. I spent four hours on each emblem carefully restoring them and they look beautiful.
Moving forward I will either re-chrome or polish the original parts or try to get NOS parts. I will have to be desperate to buy reproduction of anything for my car. Part of the hobby is getting these parts. My front lights hats had very small pitting and I took them to get a quote for Chroming them and they wanted $425 /each so it forced me to look around and I found original NOS for $350 for both. I polished mine and decided to accept the very small pitting that only me can detect.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: chrome parts

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: