Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tank Sticker Question

Old 07-11-2019, 10:10 AM
Classical Glass
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tank Sticker Question

Hi, I recently purchased a 67 coupe and have started dismantling the compleat car. upon removing the fuel tank I came across the original tank sticker. The fuel tank is too far gone to reuse so I would like to remove the sticker without destroying it. Has anyone hade any luck with this process? The sticker is quite dirty and very frail it's been on the car for some 50 years. Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks....
Old 07-11-2019, 10:18 AM
Powershift
CF Senior Member

Received 687 Likes on 621 Posts

Been asked (and answered) many many times.

My suggestion:

1. Lightly dust off with a fine hair brush and take detailed, close-up photos. Get photos developed and printed to make sure all is good.
2. If sticker is loose on the tank, a razor blade scraper with WD40 on the blade should remove it. Cut into the tank outer metal coating (lead) versus the paper
3. If sticker is bonded to the tank tightly, sacrifice the tank. Use tin snips or Dremel or ?? to cut a section out of the tank with the sticker attached. Protect sticker from sparks (if present)
4. Others have simply kept sticker and tank intact in their garage. They clean things up a bit and then wrap carefully with plastic to protect from the elements.

I was able to do #1 and #2. Placed sticker between 2 pieces of Lexan (plexiglass) and sealed edges with masking tape to hold things together and prevent air and moisture from getting to the sticker. Then stored indoors with other car documentation.

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 07-11-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:27 AM
93RubyRedCoupe
CF Senior Member

Received 296 Likes on 133 Posts

Everything said above BUT ALSO keep the tank sheet in a dark place. NO SUNLIGHT. It will darken and be illegible if you let sun get to it. That's an awesome find. ARA
Old 07-11-2019, 10:29 AM
65GGvert
CF Senior Member

Received 1,177 Likes on 1,033 Posts

If I wasn't going to use the tank, as you say is the case, I'd cut the tank around the sticker and leave it attached to the portion I cut out and seal in plastic bag. Once you slide a razor blade under it and it splits, there's no getting it back. I'm sure there are a lot who disagree, but as I said, that's what I'd do.
The following users liked this post:
morly1963 (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 10:35 AM
Daren67
CF Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

All excellent advice above. When I found mine 10 years ago, I threw it in garbage. Then while sleeping I said to myself “was that the tank sticker “. The next morning retrieved it from the garbage pail and did some of the above with success. Excellent find
Old 07-11-2019, 10:51 AM
Powershift
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 65GGvert View Post
If I wasn't going to use the tank, as you say is the case, I'd cut the tank around the sticker and leave it attached to the portion I cut out and seal in plastic bag. Once you slide a razor blade under it and it splits, there's no getting it back. I'm sure there are a lot who disagree, but as I said, that's what I'd do.
My reason for the photos. I used 35 MM Nikon and had blown up to full size. Took about a dozen. Sticker was quite loose so I only lost a bit with the razor.

Larry
Old 07-11-2019, 01:31 PM
emdoller
CF Senior Member

Received 234 Likes on 184 Posts

How about posting a picture? Also, take pictures of it on the tank so that you can see the tank. I have a video of my tank being dropped and the restoration shop reading everything off. Priceless!

Ed
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (07-13-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 02:15 PM
Powershift
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by emdoller View Post
How about posting a picture? Also, take pictures of it on the tank so that you can see the tank. I have a video of my tank being dropped and the restoration shop reading everything off. Priceless!

Ed
Ed:

I dropped my tank when I rebuilt the rear suspension. I started taking pictures at the very beginning of the job in my garage and then took more of them as the job proceeded. Finished off with pictures of the dropped tank and the tank sticker. Sort of like you did, but more low cost.

Did all of the work on tank and rear suspension and trailing arms by myself, so it can be done. Wife said it was too hot in the garage to help.

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 07-11-2019 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:25 PM
emdoller
CF Senior Member

Received 234 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Powershift View Post
Ed:

I dropped my tank when I rebuilt the rear suspension. I started taking pictures at the very beginning of the job in my garage and then took more of them as the job proceeded. Finished off with pictures of the dropped tank and the tank sticker. Sort of like you did, but more low cost.

Did all of the work on tank and rear suspension and trailing arms by myself, so it can be done. Wife said it was too hot in the garage to help.

Larry
That’s the way to do it. Certainly helps assess authenticity.

Ed
Old 07-13-2019, 07:34 AM
ejboyd5
CF Senior Member

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Powershift View Post
1. Lightly dust off with a fine hair brush and take detailed, close-up photos. Get photos developed and printed to make sure all is good.
Must be advice from the last Century. I note from a later post that Larry is still using 35mm. Wonderful results possible with film and I have many thousands of black and white negatives and color images from 50+ years of recording everything in sight. Having switched to a more modern format some 15 years ago, I'll never go back. The versatility, time saving and cost of digital can not be overestimated. My Nikon Fs occupy a place of honor on a shelf and in my mind, but they will not be used again. Where does one even get color film processed these days and at what cost?

Last edited by ejboyd5; 07-13-2019 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:49 AM
Powershift
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ejboyd5 View Post
Must be advice from the last Century. I note from a later post that Larry is still using 35mm. Wonderful results possible with film and I have many thousands of black and white negatives and color images from 50+ years of recording everything in sight. Having switched to a more modern format some 15 years ago, I'll never go back. The versatility, time saving and cost of digital can not be overestimated. My Nikon Fs occupy a place of honor on a shelf and in my mind, but they will not be used again. Where does one even get color film processed these days and at what cost?
It has been a few years now, but buying film and processing it were not an issue at that time. Getting more difficult now. Love my old Nikon and grew up with similar cameras and 35MM film. But I do own a digital camera.......just don't use it.

One thing about the film cameras, there is no doubt that the pics have not been photoshopped or manipulated.

I have resisted digital phones and cameras. I'm retired (for over 17 years now) and no longer tied to the phone like I once was. Leave me a message and I'll get back when I have opportunity to do so. I have literally thousands of old family photos of people and old family cars, but no one wants to view them anymore......so I don't need to stockpile a lot more on my computer that won't get seen. Guess I'm just stuck in the 50-'s and 60's............which is why I love to work on and drive the 67.

Larry

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tank Sticker Question

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: