C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Dash pad install help needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 06:20 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Other than radio section two of my posts back - no. Remember, figure out what will be exposed after everything is back together and only trim enough to take care of what remains - there isn't that much. For instance, the kick panels cover a big portion that hangs down on each side - no trimming needed...

Old 03-10-2020, 11:46 AM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by jasonv
OK i have got the Corvette insert and grab bar along with the cluster installed. also the speaker grill. Now i am getting ready to glue down the front of the dash pad. Does anyone have any advice and or pictures that would help with this step? I also am trying to figure out what to do with the bottom of the dash pad. I notice it looks like i will have to do some trimming down there also. Right no the dash pad covers the hood release and almost the parking brake handle. it also looks long above the center console because it hangs over where the radio will be. Does anyone have tips and or pics of what i need to trim down at the bottom of the dash pad? Thanks again for the help. So far i think it is turning out pretty good but has been a battle.

Jason

Look very closely at Hermin 59s dash where it rolls over into the windshield channel.. It is perfectly flat. That is what you are looking for. I can't tell but it looks like you might need to trim away some of the foam underneath your front edge so it doesn't have a 'dam' ledge. If it does, your windshield rubber on the inside will never lay flat like it should.. I speak from experience.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:50 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by vettsplit 63
Look very closely at Hermin 59s dash where it rolls over into the windshield channel.. It is perfectly flat. That is what you are looking for. I can't tell but it looks like you might need to trim away some of the foam underneath your front edge so it doesn't have a 'dam' ledge. If it does, your windshield rubber on the inside will never lay flat like it should.. I speak from experience.
I agree. That windshield rubber is tough enough already to install without crinkles.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:09 PM
jasonv
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Just wanted to give an update.

I got the dash installed and the windshield back on the car. Thanks for all your help with information. It was very helpful. Needless to say I don’t want to do that again. I still have to finish up the bottom of the dash in a few places and finish up the ends by putting the chrome strip on.

Dash almost finished
Old 03-24-2020, 11:14 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 931 Likes on 533 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

What color is your 59? Looks to be the exact color of mine.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:06 AM
jasonv
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It is inca silver with snowcrest white in the coves

Quick Reply: Dash pad install help needed