C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Corvette...50 Years........New Book

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 06:57 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Default Corvette...50 Years........New Book

I received a gift certificate for Xmas to Borders Books and Music. So I went their a few days ago and cruzed around. Of course I had to go by the Auto section. Sitting on the shelf all by it's self was this beautiful Corvette book.
It was sealed and I could not flip through it, so my Corvette Conscious said ...
Buy It!... Buy It!.....So I did.

The Book Is buy Randy Leffingwell.. It is 11 inches wide X 12 inches high X about 2 inches thick. Great Pictures..Great articles. I think it would make a nice addition to your Corrvette Book Collection. Here's 1 pic of the cover below. Also I have posted a links for more pic's.

The pic's are full size so dial up guys it might take a while to load each one. :cheers:

Click on the below image for full size.

MyWebPages.comcast.net/mrkrichman/vb004.jpg
MyWebPages.comcast.net/mrkrichman/vb005.jpg
MyWebPages.comcast.net/mrkrichman/vb006.jpg
MyWebPages.comcast.net/mrkrichman/vb007.jpg
MyWebPages.comcast.net/mrkrichman/vb008.jpg
MyWebPages.comcast.net/mrkrichman/vb009.jpg
MyWebPages.comcast.net/mrkrichman/vb010.jpg
MyWebPages.comcast.net/mrkrichman/vb011.jpg

[Modified by Viet Nam Vett, 7:05 PM 1/5/2003]

[Modified by Viet Nam Vett, 7:06 PM 1/5/2003]

[Modified by Viet Nam Vett, 7:14 PM 1/5/2003]
Old 01-05-2003, 07:40 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Corvette...50 Years........New Book (Viet Nam Vett)

Ooooooh.....oooooh......that car on the cover. :eek:
Ooooooh.....oooooh......that Grand Sport :eek:
Ooooooh.....oooooh......Astoria-Chas' '67 L-88 record-holding drag car :eek:
Ooooooh.....oooooh......that '63 Z-06 :eek:

:conehead :thumbs:
Old 01-05-2003, 07:41 PM
lawcpi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While every year of Corvette could (and deserves to) have made the cover, I wonder why the author chose the '67 427 model to be on the cover. I am biased, but there are certainly other models that could have been featured. It would be interesting to survey non-Corvette people (you know, normal men and women) to see what they think of when they think Corvette. For me, the C2 style was in production when I became "aware" of cars. Maybe today's 16 year olds equate Corvette to the the C5 style. Maybe it is a generational thing.
Old 01-05-2003, 08:10 PM
SebringBill
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm quite proud that both our 97 and 57 Corvettes made it into the book. (Randy seemed to like the 57 -- what a sumptous spread! :D That's me washing the 97 in the C5 section...and if you look carefully you'll spot the 57 in the garage in the background!)

I managed to snap a photo of him at work (in a drizzle no less)!

First time for either car in a book! :steering:
Old 01-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Corvette...50 Years........New Book (lawcpi)

While every year of Corvette could (and deserves to) have made the cover, I wonder why the author chose the '67 427 model to be on the cover. I am biased, but there are certainly other models that could have been featured. It would be interesting to survey non-Corvette people (you know, normal men and women) to see what they think of when they think Corvette. For me, the C2 style was in production when I became "aware" of cars. Maybe today's 16 year olds equate Corvette to the the C5 style. Maybe it is a generational thing.
I suspect that a collage showing examples from each generation might have been considered for the cover but one large pic has more "visual impact" than several small pics. They are, after all, selling a product and packaging is an important consideration. Personally, I think using a mid-year was the best choice. Most later model fans recognize the Corvette's heritage, and in many cases, that was an influence in their decision to purchase a Corvette, or maybe just a book about them.

Old 01-05-2003, 09:19 PM
JL66REDCPE
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Mark

I recvd that book as a Christmas gift from my son and daughter in law. Pretty good book. I enjoyed the pictures first -- now I will go back and read it.

john lolli
Old 01-05-2003, 09:54 PM
Denney
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Corvette...50 Years........New Book (JL66REDCPE)

Mark, I received the book for Christmas as well (from my lovely wife). I have read most of it but have to admit I was dissappointed that there are NO 66's pictured in the book... :cry I also noticed that there were NO 02's pictured either... :cry Other than that it is a very nice coffee table book... :D
Old 01-05-2003, 09:58 PM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 330 Likes on 196 Posts

I purchased the book at costco 39.95
I think its so cool seebring is in it
Old 01-05-2003, 10:50 PM
Pillman7
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I also received a copy of the book for Christmas. Have not read all of it yet but what I found most interesting was the effort Mr. Leffingwell went to to provide some of the background history of Chevrolet Motor Division and the key people that were so instrumental in the development of the car we all love.
Old 01-05-2003, 11:16 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

I am very pleased that I was asked to help Randy with this book. In the summer of 2001, I met Randy and he told me of the effort he was about to undertake to go about finding all the cars. Many of the special race cars are owned by friends of mine for many years and I know where they are. So with a little phoning and personel contact, and three trips across the USA and 23000 miles later, here is the finished product.

In the end, Randy called David Newhardt from Motor Trend to help with last minute rush to get the book to press.Randy was short of 70's and up cars, and David helped immensly here.

I helped Randy proof read the written content which he himself put together. A lot of research went into this book to make it as accurate as possible. We both know there are some mistakes and welcome your constructive criticism. Randy got so excited over the race Corvettes that he would like to do another book on just those.

I have heard however, that Dave Friedman, noted 1959-1975 SCCA Photographer from Newport Beach Ca is doing"The 50 years of Corvette Racing" for Guldstrand Motorsports. He has a ton of vintage Corvette race photos from the 50's and 60's. and I am sure the book will be also a hit.

Thank you all for the positive comments. Send any info you want to me at Jim @ Vettefinderjim.com and I will make sure Randy receives them.
Save the Wave,
Jim
Old 01-06-2003, 09:50 AM
Brutal64
Burning Brakes

Awesome book! :yesnod: Love the photography.

Steve
Old 01-07-2003, 09:01 PM
achapman
Melting Slicks

Hey Mark,

So what was the cost of the book..... and does it have a pix of Ferkinstien in it.... Oh, by the way did you determine that Ferkie was a Fulie.... Hehehehehehe..... :steering:
Old 01-07-2003, 09:10 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Default Re: Corvette...50 Years........New Book (achapman)

Well ..Well Well......look who's back! We thought you went over to the Horsey Forum............. Where have you been? We all miss those Friday Post's(Not)

No Pic's of My car in their. It'll be a long time before my rat wagon makes it that book. The Cost can be anyware from $40.00 To $50.00.

And no on the Fulie Thing...been to cold in the gee-rage..might freez my pee wee to the jack handle

:jester

[Modified by Viet Nam Vett, 9:54 PM 1/7/2003]
Old 01-08-2003, 11:19 AM
achapman
Melting Slicks

Hey Mark,

Sorry about the Friday posts, I'll see what I can do for this week. I have been cranking butt to get a new software product out the door, so I haven't had much time for the fun time stuff. Hopefully in a few weeks things will be back to norm..... Caio....
Old 01-08-2003, 05:34 PM
lawcpi
Instructor

Default Re: Corvette...50 Years........New Book (achapman)

Andy

Your posts were the only reason I came to work on Friday. Well, it's payday too so that's another reason. :lol: But I do look forward to your humor and wisdom. Please indulge us as time permits. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette...50 Years........New Book

Quick Reply: Corvette...50 Years........New Book