C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

looking for info on Gulf Oil Research who built Corvette race cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 02:09 AM
joe58
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default looking for info on Gulf Oil Research who built Corvette race cars

I am looking for info on Gulf Oil Research who was in PA in the 50s and 60s. They built and sponsored the B/P SCCA champion winning Corvettes Don Yenko drove. This was a very high tech operation even using a computerized engine Dyno in the early 60s. Grady Davis was the big wheel there and went on to sponsor the LeMans winning Ford GT 40.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:54 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: looking for info on Gulf Oil Research who built Corvette race cars (joe58)

Decades ago in 1967, when I bought my 63 Corvette, I joined the Corvette Club of Western Pennsylvania. That club used to meet occasionally at the Gulf Oil Research center. It was located off the Penn Lincoln Parkway as I recall near Monroeville. Don Yenko was a CCWP member back then too, along with a lot of other lesser known SCCA racers. I was a young 20 year old college kid back then. Clem Zahrobsky who posts on this BB was a CCWP member back then too, although Clem is much older than me :) If he doesn't post here, look him up and drop him an EMail. Clem would know a lot of details. Chuck
Old 01-08-2003, 01:50 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Default Re: looking for info on Gulf Oil Research who built Corvette race cars (joe58)

Go to http://ncrs.org/ and then inquire if someone can tell you how to contact Reverend Mike Ernst. He used to own one of the finest examples of a 62 Gulf Oil racer and probably has tons of info about Gulf.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:48 PM
joe58
Burning Brakes

Default Re: looking for info on Gulf Oil Research who built Corvette race cars (DZAUTO)

I met a guy who has some of the engines and equipment from Gulf Oil Research and he is thinking about selling. Some of the parts are from the Grand Sport program and he is asking $75K. Alot of nice stuff but seems like a lot of money for it. here is a picture of one of the engines.

Old 01-08-2003, 08:43 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Old 01-09-2003, 12:04 AM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: looking for info on Gulf Oil Research who built Corvette race cars (Chuck Gongloff)

I just sent Clem Zahrobsky (Motorman) - who's MUCH older than anyone else on the Forum - this thread; hope he responds.
Gulf Research is off the "Harmarville" exit of the Pa. TurnPike, one "click" west of Monroeville "get-off". ;)
Cruz
Old 01-09-2003, 03:27 PM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

Default Re: looking for info on Gulf Oil Research who built Corvette race cars (Cruzmeisters)

:eek: Thats an impressive looking engine! Looks like the intake is built on a Fuelie manifold and is running 2 air meters on top of a fabricated plenum arangement. Would like to see the other engines. Thanks for posting this. I love to see this type of ingenuity. There is a great article on the 61 Gulf Oil Davis / Yenko car in the new Corvette magazine. I believe it was in the second issue. ( I can check mine tonight) Had great article and pictures. :cheers:

[Modified by K2, 12:30 PM 1/9/2003]
Old 01-09-2003, 03:58 PM
joe58
Burning Brakes

Default Re: looking for info on Gulf Oil Research who built Corvette race cars (K2)

Yes, two air meters. I recognized this intake system from one of my Grand Sport books. It was used early in the GS program before they went to sidedraft webers. Heads are alu experimental stamped "OO." Dist is billet alu with a gear drive for FI pump. I guess to avoid problem with FI cable drive failure. There are sensors all over the engine and it was connected to a computer. No transistors all vacuum tubes. He has the computer. Has rotating drums with paper on them to make graphs. Time warp twilight zone stuff but cutting edge for 1962.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:13 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: looking for info on Gulf Oil Research who built Corvette race cars (Cruzmeisters)

the guy with all the info and pictures is john e connolly from pittsburgh as he has written several books on grady davis and the gulf corvette racing team but i do not have any address for him. there was a article by him in a years past VETTE magazine. anyone with a pittsburgh phone directory may be able to find his phone number. that is all my poor OLD brain can remember. :D :chevy
Old 01-09-2003, 07:17 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Default Re: looking for info on Gulf Oil Research who built Corvette race cars (clem zahrobsky)

Have a look-see.... http://rowleycorvette.com/hilit3.html
Old 01-09-2003, 07:19 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Default Re: looking for info on Gulf Oil Research who built Corvette race cars (67HEAVEN)

http://www.teamdan.com/archive/wsc/1962/62day3.html
Position #13 and #19
Old 01-09-2003, 09:11 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Default Re: looking for info on Gulf Oil Research who built Corvette race cars (67HEAVEN)

More on Grady Davis..... http://www.steelcities-scca.org/stee...es_legends.htm and http://www.grandsportcorvette.com/gs/
and
Legendary racing records abound at RM Auctions’
Monterey Sports Car Auction because, in addition to
the Ferrari 330 TRI/LM, RM will present two of
America’s best sports cars, the 1961 Gulf Racing
Corvette driven by Don Yenko and Dr. Dick Thompson to
two consecutive SCCA championships. Owned by Grady
Davis and developed in the Gulf Research labs in
Harmarville, Pennsylvania, the Don Yenko entered
Corvette blew its competition away in 1961 and 1962.
Also offered at RM’s Monterey Sports Car Auction is
the legendary Sunray DX 1967 L88 Corvette campaigned
by Dave Morgan and Don Yenko which won the Grand
Touring class at the 1967 Sebring 12 Hours. The ’67
L88 was an all-out road racer built by GM Engineering
under Zora Arkus-Duntov’s direction. It produced over
500hp from the factory. Only 20 were built in 1967,
making them the most highly sought of all Corvettes.
Both Corvettes have been assiduously documented and
meticulously restored to pristine condition by Richard
and Carolyn Prince and were featured at Bloomington
Gold. A ride in either is a life-changing experience.
from..... http://www.rmauctions.com/press/release.cfm?pressid=35

[Modified by 67HEAVEN, 9:12 PM 1/9/2003]

[Modified by 67HEAVEN, 9:15 PM 1/9/2003]
Old 01-10-2003, 12:31 AM
SebringBill
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try Eric Gill. He's an attorney in Port Orange FL and I believe he owns (owned?) a 63 Gulf Oil SWC and as I recall had a lot of info about the cars. I don't have his contact info handy but you might be able to look it up. Tell him I sentcha - he won't laugh too hard :lol: :lol: :lol:

[Modified by SebringBill, 12:32 AM 1/10/2003]
Old 12-16-2015, 01:42 PM
tbacoman
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i JUST REGISTERED FOR THIS GROUP i HAVE BEEN FORTUNATE TO SELL ITEMS OUT OF DON YENKO'S ESTATE. THERE ALSO MAY BE SOME GULF RESEARCH ITEMS THERE. THE RESEARCH CENTER IS LOCATED ABOUT 9 MILES FROM ME EVEN THOUGH IT DOES NOT EXIST ANYMORE ANY SERIOUS INQUIRIES MAY BE EMAILED TO ME AT JONTRE1@JUBNO.COM SORRY EMAIL IS IN SMALL CASE. MIGHT EVEN BE AN ITEM OR TWO OF ZORA ARKUS DUNTOV AND GRADY DAVIS
Old 12-16-2015, 01:53 PM
tbacoman
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bacoman

I am fortunate to be selling at his time some items of Don Yenko's estate. There may also be some Gulf Research items The research center which is no longer is about 9 miles from me. In the estate items ther may also be some from Dick "the Flying Dentist" Thompson and Grady Davis. May even be one or two of Zora Arkus Duntov. If there are serious inquiries, email me at jontre1@juno.com
Old 12-17-2015, 02:42 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
Decades ago in 1967, when I bought my 63 Corvette, I joined the Corvette Club of Western Pennsylvania. That club used to meet occasionally at the Gulf Oil Research center. It was located off the Penn Lincoln Parkway as I recall near Monroeville. Don Yenko was a CCWP member back then too, along with a lot of other lesser known SCCA racers. I was a young 20 year old college kid back then. Clem Zahrobsky who posts on this BB was a CCWP member back then too, although Clem is much older than me If he doesn't post here, look him up and drop him an EMail. Clem would know a lot of details. Chuck
chuck you are thinking about the GM tech center in Monroeville. gulf research was off of the pa. turnpike near harmerville. the cars were build at the gulf labs. the engine were built and dyno tested there also a friend ron mccaferty was in charge of the dyno cells and we used to go there at night and run in our race car engines on the chassis dynos, go to rebuilding grand sport #4 and you will see stuff written by ron on the engine development. http://www.racingicons.com/gs/004/gulf.htm

Last edited by PAmotorman; 12-17-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:51 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I heard a guy named FiART had a tinted windshield out of Grady Davis's car up in his attic. He would know all the details about Gulf Oil.

Get notified of new replies

To looking for info on Gulf Oil Research who built Corvette race cars

Quick Reply: looking for info on Gulf Oil Research who built Corvette race cars