C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Front Monospring suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 10:59 PM
mjmsc5
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-4 Car Show Winner
CI-7 Car Show Winner

Default Front Monospring suspension

Anyone using one of these. How is the handling and how adjustable is it.
Old 01-12-2003, 09:30 AM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

Default Re: Front Monospring suspension (mjmsc5)

mjmsc5 -
I installed a front monospring as part of the Vette Brakes Performance Plus Suspension System. I like the suspension. I have adjusted the spring once since I installed it. It was easy to do. I did note one minor problem with the spring installation where the center of the monospring arcs very close to the bottom of the frame. On my car, two bumper brackets that bolt to the bottom of the frame interfered with the monospring. I reshaped the back three inches of the brackets to make sure they would not rub or cut the monospring.
Old 01-12-2003, 08:11 PM
mjmsc5
Pro

CI-4 Car Show Winner
CI-7 Car Show Winner

Default Re: Front Monospring suspension (kellsdad)

Thanks for the resonse. Was it a direct bolt on, and can it be done without a lift.
Old 01-12-2003, 10:11 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

I replaced the entire front suspension while I had the car completely disassembled with the body off. So, I can't tell you how hard it would be to replace just the front springs. I would think the hardest part would be removing the old coil springs. With the exception of the bumper bracket problem I mentioned earlier, I think its a direct bolt on that could be done in your garage on a set of jack stands. ... Perhaps someone who has done the job on an assembled car will comment on your question.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:57 PM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I did this installation just under a year ago on complete, running car -- no body off, etc. It can be done with the front end on jackstands. The installation is pretty straightforward, basically plug and play. To get the old front springs out, I supported the lower A-arm with a couple of jacks, removed the mounting bolts, disconnected the ball joint, and slowly lowered the jacks until the tension was out of the spring. No spring compressor needed. Kellsdad is right, if you have the front bumper brackets, you'll have to trim the edges off to avoid rubbing on the spring. Do some measruing as you're bolting the new mono spring in to make sure it's centered between the lower A-arms. I completely rebuilt the whole front suspension and steering, so there were issues I ran into -- but they don't affect the monospring kit install. How far are you going with this repair/modification? If the front end hasn't been done in some time, there's other things that could be done.

I just remembered one thing. The holes in the VB lower A-arms for the bolts to mount the shocks were closer together so I had to grind the slots in the mounts in the bottom of the shocks a little bit to get the bolts to fit.

I really like the suspension. It's adjustable for ride height and stiffness. I have it set up low and quite stiff, and the handling is great in my opinion.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:38 PM
mjmsc5
Pro

CI-4 Car Show Winner
CI-7 Car Show Winner

Default Re: Front Monospring suspension (kellsdad)

I'll probably do the rest of the bushings, and everything else looks pretty good. Any issues with using different shocks. Read somewhere that it may affect handling.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:16 PM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I put new Bilstein shocks all around on my car when I put in that suspension. I'd definitely recommend some new HD shocks with your install. Brand name is your call, but a higher-line gas-filled shock would be better. Shocks will affect the handling a little, they have more impact on the ride quality.

Get notified of new replies

To Front Monospring suspension

Quick Reply: Front Monospring suspension