C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Another whats it worth ? SWC

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 11:33 AM
Rair67
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another whats it worth ? SWC

A local used car dealer here has a 63 SWC for sale- 66k miles, red/red, auto, PW,PS, claims all original except for paint, and stored for last 20 years. They are asking $38,500. Any guesses if the car is original?
Old 01-15-2003, 01:27 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Default Re: Another whats it worth ? SWC (Rair67)

Midyear odometers are notorious for breaking before 100K miles, or maybe it's been around one or more times, so the odometer reading is usually meaningless.

Unless you consider yourself and expert, I would suggest hiring an expert to inspect the car. I'm suspicious of any car that ends up with a dealer, and automatically assume that they will misrepresent or fabricate a story about the car. The best cars are sold directly by their owners IMO.

Also, look for a car with some kind of documentation or owner history, so you can check back and learn about where that car has been and what's been done to it.

Duke

Old 01-15-2003, 01:27 PM
Denney
Melting Slicks

If we are voting, my vote is that it is not all original (ok, so I'm playing the odds here)... :yesnod: If I had a nickle for every mid year that I have looked at that was claimed "original" I would be able to buy that 63 with the cash... :lol: :seeya
Old 01-15-2003, 01:33 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Agree with SWC here, a mid-year at a local dealer is with a grand 'barn' story is extremely suspect. Anything is possible though so run over there with a mid-year expert from your local Corvette shop. Even if it costs ya a couple hunnert bucks two things will happen. (1) you'll end up with a great vette and be happy or (2) you won't and consider it money well spent....and still be happy. :thumbs:

Hey, I just noticed you got two mid-years already. Greedy son-of-a-gun anywhoo......... :lol: You know about these vettes already, go check it out and let us know what ya find out. I need a better $$$$ job dangit!! I want another one........ :cry

[Modified by MasterDave, 10:38 AM 1/15/2003]
Old 01-15-2003, 01:34 PM
BAmacker
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Probably a tad high, but that's what used car dealers are about. I'll be in Naples this weekend seeing my dad, where's it at? I'll take a look at it. :auto:
Old 01-15-2003, 03:48 PM
Rair67
Drifting

Default Re: Another whats it worth ? SWC (MasterDave)

MasterDave- Actually, I wasn't looking at the 63 for myself- I'm starting a resto on the 65 so i've got my hands full for now. However- I have entertained the thought of a swc for a while.............. :lol:

BAmacker- The car is at Ft. Myers Truck SUV and RV, its located on Rt. 41 Tamiami Tr., just south of the Bell tower. (239-482-4511)

As everyone else is, I am also suspicious of vettes at a dealer, AND barn car stories. But what the heck, check it out if you've got the time. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Another whats it worth ? SWC

Quick Reply: Another whats it worth ? SWC