C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Installed header question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 08:48 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Installed header question

I just installed my Dynomax ceramic coated 1.5/8" headers onto my sbc last night. The fit is great except for one item. The collector/reducer tubes hit the floor pan tabs. They don't ride hard, just touch. These are the body mounted tabs that mount the triangle shaped pans on each side of the frame. I guess they keep dirt & water out of the engine compartment. Anyway, I know the reducers can be cut back an inch or so to clear but then the pipe would have to be bent at a pretty sharp angle so as not to ride these tabs and the pipes would be very close to the underside of the body (maybe an inch clearance or so it appears). Anyone experience this problem? If so what did ya do? Thanks...... :confused:
Old 01-16-2003, 03:45 PM
Denney
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Installed header question (MasterDave)

MasterDave, you can just drill out the rivets and remove them and save them for that NCRS body off restoration someday... :lol: (but if you do you will need to put nuts/washers on the two bolts that hold the accelerator pedal down). I assume you already removed those inner splash shields to fit the headers so those brackets are doing nothing for you anymore... :thumbs:
Old 01-16-2003, 05:48 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

MasterDave You might try to eliminate the torque roll of the engine by putting a turnbuckle (driver side) between the top water pump bolt and the intersection between the frame and front crossmember. I bought mine at the local hardware store. One end is an eye, the other a hook. The collector flange on my headers for factory side exhaust would torque up into the frame and I was worried about a pipe breaking at the head flange. Cured the problem for the last 8-9 years. If you problem is on the passenger this won't work. :cheers:
Old 01-17-2003, 09:51 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks for the input fellas. Well it looks like I'll have to remove the tabs and at the very least modify the splash shields to clear the collectors. I didn't think of leaving them off entirely but I suppose that's a possibility also. Is there an advantage/disadvantage to leaving 'em off? :cool:
Old 01-17-2003, 04:53 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

If you leave them on you get airborn a little sooner! :jester

Get notified of new replies

To Installed header question

Quick Reply: Installed header question