C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

vibration damper question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 08:55 PM
jetlag203
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vibration damper question

I have had my '63 327 roadster for about a month now and continue to discover new things. :banghead: The crankshaft pulley was attached to the damper with only 2 of the 3 bolts, one bolt was fine thread and the other was coarse thread...methinks something is amiss here. So I took it apart and found the pulley had all three holes oblong (instead of round) and the damper is seriously worn out; shredded rubber is peeling off.

Here is my dilema: The crankshaft doesn't have a center bolt for the damper! I guess I must be new because I never saw that before. The damper seems to be an interference fit only. Where can I find a replacement damper? What kind? I don't know if the engine is internally ballanced or externally balanced (yet). How do you tell the difference? Lastly, how the heck do you install this type of damper other than with a hammer?

All in all, I am enjoying my new '63. I can't wait for the day that I can drive it without being worried about the engine. (It still makes a horrendous metal on metal noise in the front).

Thanks for any advice. This forum is a wealth of knowledge. :banghead:
Old 01-19-2003, 09:20 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Default Re: vibration damper question (jetlag203)

The 250/300 HP engines use a pressed on damper with no center bolt. The 340/360HP engines used a larger damper with a center bolt.

The replacement procedures are in the '63 Corvette shop manual. Special tools are required.

The engine is internally balanced and you should check with GM and the various Corvette parts houses to see if the proper damper for your engine is available.

Suggest you purchase a '63 shop manual and Assembly Instruction Manual. They are invaluable resources.

Duke
Old 01-19-2003, 09:32 PM
jetlag203
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Chilton's repair manual but there is nothing about the press fit damper. What manual are you referencing?

Also, I noticed that Summit sells a fluid damper. Would this be a good damper to consider?

Thanks
Old 01-19-2003, 09:35 PM
gary6696
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04

I found a nice replacement at:
http://www.sdpc2000.com/htm/freecatalog.html

#6272221 $58.31

email me if you need a pulley.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:38 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Default Re: vibration damper question (SWCDuke)

Another approach is to have you current balancer rebuilt. This service is available from Paragon Reproductions, (service & technical 810-655-4641) the correct bolts are also available. The removal tool should be available from a reputable part distributor. The installation, according to the '63 shop manual requires driving the balancer on with a special driver and hammer. :eek: Hope this helps!

Get notified of new replies

To vibration damper question

Quick Reply: vibration damper question