C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Big block overheats at idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2024, 01:52 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 7,100 Likes on 4,879 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
Yes, please follow-up once you've had the opportunity to put some miles on the changes
it was good for about 10* on dads 427/390/400 auto with AC when we put on tbe 7 blade fan
Old 06-07-2024, 04:13 PM
banph
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Winner -- Unmodified

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
Yes, please follow-up once you've had the opportunity to put some miles on the changes
Well I took it out for a ride today and clearly I'm not that talented of a mechanic. Everything seemed to be fine but with the manifold vacuum I could not get the idle down under 1500 RPM. With ported Vacuum it runs at 750.
I ran it with manifold vacuum and then switched it back and it seemed to run better with the original set up. So maybe some of you could tell me what I need to do. I just don't want to reduce the idle, that seems to be too simple. If I have to go into the Distributor, then I guess Im just going to live with it. I noticed at low speeds (1st and 2nd) with manifold vacuum it ran rough as well. High speeds (4th gear) ran good. After it warmed up ran good in all gears but racing at idle.

I could use some direction.

In regards to the shroud, please, yes send me a picture. This car was restored in the 90's so not sure about the originality of the shroud. The shroud does not block any of the core. Also, remember I took my brass Harrison out and installed a Dewitt Aluminum radiator.

Thanks
Ed
Old 06-07-2024, 06:01 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,344 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Originally Posted by banph
Well I took it out for a ride today and clearly I'm not that talented of a mechanic. Everything seemed to be fine but with the manifold vacuum I could not get the idle down under 1500 RPM. With ported Vacuum it runs at 750.
I ran it with manifold vacuum and then switched it back and it seemed to run better with the original set up. So maybe some of you could tell me what I need to do. I just don't want to reduce the idle, that seems to be too simple. If I have to go into the Distributor, then I guess I'm just going to live with it. I noticed at low speeds (1st and 2nd) with manifold vacuum it ran rough as well. High speeds (4th gear) ran good. After it warmed up ran good in all gears but racing at idle.

In regards to the shroud, please, yes send me a picture. This car was restored in the 90's so not sure about the originality of the shroud. The shroud does not block any of the core. Also, remember I took my brass Harrison out and installed a Dewitt Aluminum radiator.

Thanks
Ed
Hooking your vacuum cannister up to full manifold vacuum WILL increase the warm idle RPM . Back off the idle adjustment screw until the RPM drops down to around 750. Take it for a drive and report back.
The following users liked this post:
Westlotorn (06-07-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 06:32 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 145 Posts

Have you done a pressure test. Does it hold static pressure up to 20 lbs?

And then Dewitt's is worth it
Old 06-07-2024, 07:17 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,323 Likes on 844 Posts

To help you understand, the thinking in 1967 was that changing to ported vacuum would enhance the engines ability to have a clean idle. Done for smog control purposes but remember this was one of the first efforts by GM to reduce emissions and it was not done well. Swapping it back to manifold vacuum will help your engine but it also adds around 10* more timing at idle in no load situations. This is normal but you do have to reduce your idle set screw to bring the idle back down. Talk about an easy fix. Jump on this one, it will help your cooling and engine performance in general. If it does not you will want to map your timing curve, map your vacuum advance curve and see what is wrong. It can all be fixed and make you happy.
Old 06-07-2024, 08:21 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I have posted below the fan I have used on my '67 SB NON A/C for several years. Part #3931002. It may be of help to someone. Dennis

Old 06-08-2024, 10:37 AM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 399 Likes on 258 Posts

I ran it with manifold vacuum and then switched it back and it seemed to run better with the original set up. So maybe some of you could tell me what I need to do. I just don't want to reduce the idle, that seems to be too simple. If I have to go into the Distributor, then I guess Im just going to live with it. I noticed at low speeds (1st and 2nd) with manifold vacuum it ran rough as well. High speeds (4th gear) ran good. After it warmed up ran good in all gears but racing at idle.

Thanks
Ed
If it ran rough on manifold vacuum I'd verify that the Vacuum canister isn't blown and adding more air to the mixture and now running lean.

EDIT: On second thought, if it was blown you wouldn't get an increase in idle speed. Disregard above!

Last edited by 6T7L71CPE; 06-08-2024 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-09-2024, 01:53 AM
CTMAN42
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for all the input. I will look at the seal kit and lower shroud extension.
Temp gauge is now accurate. I think. (lol) Not sure when it climbs to 230+. That will be my next check with the Temp gun. Going to let it idle after I take it for a ride and compare the gauge with the gun as it rises.
Not sure about vacuum hook up. It's set up like it came from the factory. (see picture)
Timing is set at 12 degrees BTC. Also set timing at full 3500 RPM as discussed by others on this forum.
I know when I changed my radiator I did not install a seal kit. When I took out the original Harrison radiator it did not have a seal kit that I could remember.
Where did you buy the seal kit?

Tell me what the difference is between the vacuum set up and why It would help my cooling if different then factory hook-up?
Thanks

Is it possible this fan blade is put on backwards? It looks like it would push air as opposed to pull it. Just a thought.
Old 06-09-2024, 07:49 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,999 Posts

It’s mounted correctly.

Just have to turn your idle speed screw down. The idle speed increases because the additional timing is allowing your engine to idle more efficiently.
Old 06-09-2024, 11:43 AM
Rdavis
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oldboomer54
Actually, what you have sounds normal for a C2 big block. With a 13lb. cap and 50/50 anti-freeze/water mixture, your boiling point is above 250°. Mine will run up to over 210° , especially after a

run on the freeway . As long as it's not puking coolant, I wouldn't worry. The factory gauges aren't known for accuracy. In 65, the center mark was 180° but so many people complained that they thought there car was overheating. in 66 the center mark was changed to 210°.

I also have a 2012 SS Camaro in addition to my C3. Chevrolet did the exact thing to the oil temp gauge. Normal indicated oil temp when just cruising is around 210. ON the 10 & 11's straight up on the gauge is 200 so normal operating the needle will be over the center mark apparently leading owners to believe that their oil temp is too hot. For 2012 they made the center mark 210. So is guess it is the same deal. I'm a member of several Camaro groups on FB & at least once a week someone posts a question if their oil temp is too high on their 10 or 11 model cars. I just shake my head.
Old 06-09-2024, 02:15 PM
MC vet
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

As sort of a related problem with my 435 hp, It runs fine until it gets to operating temp,150 and above it does not want to idle, it dies and dosent want to start until it cools which by no means is not near overheating.If the temp gets anywhere near 200 it will act like it only wants to start up on half the cylinders and of course not start until sitting to cool down for half hour or so. It sounds like a fuel problem or a vapor lock to me.I insulated the fuel lines. Ambient temp 70 degree day. I switched to manifold vacuum, new radiator, clutch fan. As i said it barley gets to operating temp and the problem starts, my IR gun is pretty consistent with the gauge.
Any of you guys had this problem? any advise appreciated.
Old 06-09-2024, 02:41 PM
67:72
1967 Pedal Car Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by MC vet
As sort of a related problem with my 435 hp, It runs fine until it gets to operating temp,150 and above it does not want to idle, it dies and dosent want to start until it cools which by no means is not near overheating.If the temp gets anywhere near 200 it will act like it only wants to start up on half the cylinders and of course not start until sitting to cool down for half hour or so. It sounds like a fuel problem or a vapor lock to me.I insulated the fuel lines. Ambient temp 70 degree day. I switched to manifold vacuum, new radiator, clutch fan. As i said it barley gets to operating temp and the problem starts, my IR gun is pretty consistent with the gauge.
Any of you guys had this problem? any advise appreciated.
You might be better served starting a new thread - then your info isn't lost in the mix or diluting the original.
Old 06-09-2024, 02:43 PM
67:72
1967 Pedal Car Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Ed
Take a look at this video from @CADbrian His looks very much like mine (mine is still under it's winter wraps). Our shrouds seem to sit about 1" higher on the radiator than the pic you posted.
Old 06-09-2024, 08:08 PM
MC vet
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Ok thanks
Old 06-10-2024, 11:09 AM
banph
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Winner -- Unmodified

My fan shroud looks exactly the same. I believe I have the correct shroud for my car. Thanks for the info.
It might have been the way I took the picture.

Quick Reply: Big block overheats at idle