C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Door Window Installation on 1964 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 06:41 PM
tpocock
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Door Window Installation on 1964 Coupe

Last weekend I struggled with the installation of the ventilator and door windows in my 1964 Corvette Stingray. The instructions in the repair manual simply do not work on the coupe. Through trial and error and came up with the following procedure which does work.

Removal of Door Window Glass

1. Remove all ventilator bolts and regulator.
a. Close the ventilator and remove the ventilator shaft bolt.
b. Remove the 3 regular screws.
c. Remove the 3 regular bracket bolts.
d. Remove the regular bracket and the regulator.
2. Remove the 4 ventilator mounting screws.
3. Remove lower pivot nut and screw pivot inwards until it clears the door.
4. The ventilator is now free.
5. Raise the window to expose the 2 window glass mount nuts.
6. Remove the 2 nuts.
7. Lower the window slightly to release pressure on the window glass mounts.
8. While supporting the window glass, disconnect the window regulator bars from the window glass mounts.
9. Lower the window regulator to the bottom while supporting the window glass by hand.
10. Slowly lower the window glass while advancing the glass forward until the back of the glass is free of the rear runner.
11. Place the glass at the bottom of the door.
12. Start to remove the ventilator by rotating it backwards. Position the lower pivot in the large access opening in the door, and remove the pivot. Lift the ventilator assembly out of the door.
13. Lift the window glass out of the door.

Installation of the Door Window Glass
1. Slide the window glass into the door and let it rest at the bottom of the door to the outside of the regulator mechanism.
2. Slide the end of the ventilator assembly into the door. Position the pivot mount in the access opening in the door, and screw in the lower pivot. Screw it in most of way.
3. Slide the ventilator assembly into the door. Do not yet install any bolts or screws.
4. Start to raise the window glass by hand, sliding the front edge into the front runner. The back of the glass will not fit into the rear runner at this point.
5. Slowly raise the glass by hand. When the rear top the glass reaches the rear runner of the window opening, guide it into this runner as you continue to raise the glass.
6. When the window glass is fully up it should be centered in both the front and rear runners.
7. Lower the window glass just enough that the window glass support bolts are accessible though the access holes in the door.
8. Raise the window regulator until the mounting bar aligns with the support bolts.
9. Install the 2 support nuts.
10. Unscrew the ventilator pivot screw until it extends through the door and install the pivot nut. Do not tighten yet.
11. Insert the ventilator support bolt and the 4 screws.
12. Move the window up and down and adjust the support screws for smooth action, then tighten all the screws.
13. Attach the ventilator regulator and tighten the regulator bolt.
14. Install the regulator bracket and the 3 screws and 3 bolts.
15. Check for smooth action of the ventilator
The following 2 users liked this post by tpocock:
Dennis 613 (07-17-2017), TWINRAY (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 09:31 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I know this is an old post but it is still amazing
Old 06-01-2017, 09:40 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by TWINRAY
I know this is an old post but it is still amazing
Ive put up several long posts on this witha few
tips not included here. You might search for them.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:15 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Ive put up several long posts on this witha few
tips not included here. You might search for them.
Thanks Frankie, I just happened to run across that one. I haven't followed thru on it all, yesterday I just cleaned the window track and installed the new fuzzy track in the drivers side. Today I hope to get the window and vent assembly in that side and do the Passenger side complete, that will be a BIG DEAL for me.

Last edited by TWINRAY; 06-01-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:31 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I just assembled both doors on my 66 coupe that had been apart for a couple of years for restoration. I was dreading this job, but finally set my mind to it on Sunday morning, and it was a breeze using much of the guidance found on this forum. I will list my assembly steps which are slightly different and I believe much easier. Took 2 hours for the first side, and 1 hour for the second door.

1. Install main door glass onto the regulator, attach the long roller track to lower window channel, and the short track to the door. My car has power windows, carefully lower the glass all the way to the bottom of the door and then slide the glass back as far as possible.

2. Install vent window assembly. Install the 4 screws along the front, and install nut on the lower adjustment stud.

3. Install vent regulator on vent window shaft. Then install plate over regulator and attach 3 bolts to regulator and 3 bolts to door.

4. Install fuzzy into door slot. I took a small pair of snips and squeezed the little clips to get them in the slots easier. Position fuzzy into corner and work the top clips in, then go down the back and work those clips in. Some are easier than others!

5. Carefully slide the window forward to engage it in the front fuzzy track and carefully raise the window glass all the way to the top. Make sure the glass gets guided into the upper part of the rear fuzzy and that the bottom fuzzy is hanging freely.

6. Cut a slot in the top of the rear track to allow it to slide onto the clip. If you don't do this, I can't imagine how you could ever get the clip into the top slot.

7. Install the 2 bolts that hold the rear track to the door.

8. Lower the window and adjust vent window lower stud to get proper window alignment going up and down.

Hope this helps, it is way easier to attach glass to regulator first, versus using tape and pulling the glass up later to attach to regulator.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:01 PM
Dennis 613
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 64 Coupe window removal

Originally Posted by tpocock
Last weekend I struggled with the installation of the ventilator and door windows in my 1964 Corvette Stingray. The instructions in the repair manual simply do not work on the coupe. Through trial and error and came up with the following procedure which does work.

Removal of Door Window Glass

1. Remove all ventilator bolts and regulator.
a. Close the ventilator and remove the ventilator shaft bolt.
b. Remove the 3 regular screws.
c. Remove the 3 regular bracket bolts.
d. Remove the regular bracket and the regulator.
2. Remove the 4 ventilator mounting screws.
3. Remove lower pivot nut and screw pivot inwards until it clears the door.
4. The ventilator is now free.
5. Raise the window to expose the 2 window glass mount nuts.
6. Remove the 2 nuts.
7. Lower the window slightly to release pressure on the window glass mounts.
8. While supporting the window glass, disconnect the window regulator bars from the window glass mounts.
9. Lower the window regulator to the bottom while supporting the window glass by hand.
10. Slowly lower the window glass while advancing the glass forward until the back of the glass is free of the rear runner.
11. Place the glass at the bottom of the door.
12. Start to remove the ventilator by rotating it backwards. Position the lower pivot in the large access opening in the door, and remove the pivot. Lift the ventilator assembly out of the door.
13. Lift the window glass out of the door.

Installation of the Door Window Glass
1. Slide the window glass into the door and let it rest at the bottom of the door to the outside of the regulator mechanism.
2. Slide the end of the ventilator assembly into the door. Position the pivot mount in the access opening in the door, and screw in the lower pivot. Screw it in most of way.
3. Slide the ventilator assembly into the door. Do not yet install any bolts or screws.
4. Start to raise the window glass by hand, sliding the front edge into the front runner. The back of the glass will not fit into the rear runner at this point.
5. Slowly raise the glass by hand. When the rear top the glass reaches the rear runner of the window opening, guide it into this runner as you continue to raise the glass.
6. When the window glass is fully up it should be centered in both the front and rear runners.
7. Lower the window glass just enough that the window glass support bolts are accessible though the access holes in the door.
8. Raise the window regulator until the mounting bar aligns with the support bolts.
9. Install the 2 support nuts.
10. Unscrew the ventilator pivot screw until it extends through the door and install the pivot nut. Do not tighten yet.
11. Insert the ventilator support bolt and the 4 screws.
12. Move the window up and down and adjust the support screws for smooth action, then tighten all the screws.
13. Attach the ventilator regulator and tighten the regulator bolt.
14. Install the regulator bracket and the 3 screws and 3 bolts.
15. Check for smooth action of the ventilator
!'m getting the car ready to paint and tried to use the shop manual instructions, but for a coupe they don't work at least for me. I spent about 5 hours over two days because you can only stand so much, the detailed instructions from tpocock were a great guideline, but the one step I added between 6 & 7 was to remove the screw on the bottom of the rear window channel, pop out the two retainer clips that hold the window channel liner in place, remove the two screws on the rear of the door and remove the lower rear window channel, after that the ventilator assembly practically fell out of the door once that was removed the window comes right out with plenty of room to spare.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:07 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Post #4 in this thread is how I install them, removal is the reverse...
I've had my coupe doors off at least four times for various issues and this method has proven the easiest (and the least potential for paint damage..
Old 01-14-2020, 09:44 AM
autoalain
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 23 Posts

I am still unable to get glass in rear runner, stock door , I have tried with runner at 45 degree angle to front, then to back cannot turn it enough to get glass into track, the part where the nut is jams on fiberglass and prevents
the total turn into the glass, I had removed everything a years ago, nothing has changed all the same parts, I think I will gamble and cut the fussy just above where the top nut is and do everything again in 2 pieces
like the vidio on the 63. time to go in garage and spend another 6 hours.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:03 AM
Joe Inama
Drifting

Received 327 Likes on 159 Posts

I always install duct tape as a handle on the glass. Lifting glass much easier.

Get notified of new replies

To Door Window Installation on 1964 Coupe

Quick Reply: Door Window Installation on 1964 Coupe