C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Another Disc brake on C1 question....

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 07:01 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Another Disc brake on C1 question....

I am giving strong consideration on purchasing the ECI disc brake conversion kit for 53-62 Vettes
http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/early...nversions.html

This kit also includes the taper wheel bearings, Camaro rotors & calipers and adapters.

I already have a dual master cylinder from Master Power Brakes installed and a GM proportioning valve. Corvette Central also sells a similar kit but they show a residual valve and a metering valve. Any comments if I will require these items as well ....

Cheers

Old 08-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Viking427
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Another Disc brake on C1 question.... (kenmo)

if you'll be retaining the drums on the rear, then yes. Most people run a combo valve that accomodates the necessary functions (including a low brake warning light switch). Heres an explaination of the different valves and what they do; http://www.mpbrakes.com/mpfaqvalving.htm
Old 08-07-2003, 07:16 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Another Disc brake on C1 question.... (Viking427)

I guess I worded my question wrong. I was wondering what other forum members used when they converted their front drums to disc. My rears will remain drums.

TIA
Old 08-07-2003, 07:26 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

When I converted the fronts on my '64, I initially omitted the residual valve from the rear. Big mistake. I always had to give a pump to work enough fluid into the rear wheel cylinders to get them to presurize fully. A 10# residual valve cured this problem.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:00 PM
WilliamHall
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great link Viking. Explained a lot. I once asked someone at a race shop who did disk conversions about needing more than just a proportioning valve when going to disk and drum setup. He looked at me like I was an idiot and said all I needed was the proportioning valve. I knew he was wrong.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:16 AM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Another Disc brake on C1 question.... (WilliamHall)

Sounds like the combination valve for disc-drum is what I need. I'll check ECI's website for one as the MPB disc conversion kit is quite a bit more then the ECI kit and the MPB kit includes the dual master cylinder kit, which I already have....
Old 08-10-2003, 07:52 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Just another question...I have aluminum Keystone mag wheels. They look somewhat like a Centerline wheel but with 5 round holes in the wheel.

I really want to keep these wheels. How can I find out if they will clear the calipers on the disc conversion kit ?

TIA
Old 08-10-2003, 11:21 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Kenmo,

I was thinking of putting on the ECI kit last year (but finally was able to sort out the drum brakes on my 62). I had the same question concerning my American Racing TTD's (15" X 6" rim width).

The ECI kit uses 70's era Camaro calipers and discs (among other GM vehicles). You might want to confirm this with ECI. I took a wheel/tire over to a buddy who has a 70 Z-28 Camaro, and we checked the fit on his car (no problems with plenty of room to spare). If you can do something similar, it would probably "ease" your mind a bit about going with the changeover.

I probably will still go with the ECI kit later, since we plan on moving to an area with a lot more "hills" in a couple of years, and could use the extra braking force. Let us know how your new brakes work out!

Plasticman
Old 08-11-2003, 12:15 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

Really, not a problem. My Western Wheels didn't clear the calipers when I switched to front disks. A 1/8" wheel spacer gave the necessary clearence, but I used 1/4" which also helps with rubbing on the steering box carrage bolt on locked left turns. The spacers come in steel and aluminum in various widths and 1/4" should probably be more than enough and you can retain stock lugs.

Get notified of new replies

To Another Disc brake on C1 question....

Quick Reply: Another Disc brake on C1 question....