C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63-64 disc brake conversion

Old 08-11-2003, 09:03 PM
Steve'60
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 63-64 disc brake conversion

I'm looking at a '64 coupe and was wondering what would be needed to convert to 4-wheel disc brakes? I'm familiar with C1's but not C2's. Also, looking through catalogs I see rear trailing arms and differentials for '65-'82 but none listed for '63-'64. What is the difference and can the later parts be substituted for the earlier?
Thanks, Steve.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:00 AM
Mikey1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 63-64 disc brake conversion (Steve'60)

Steve...first of all difference in trailing arms......the more easy part....the 65-later t-arm has got a small "table" welded on top of it...that´s where the rubber bumper on the frame is aiming at. 63-64 simply had not got that due to a different frame rubber bumper. You can leave it on or take it off...it doesn´t matter.

There are also some brackets for the park brake cable that any earlier model would not have. You will probably need these for your conversion.

I have got the later model t-arms in my car as well as the originals where bad...no problem.

Brake conversion:

First of all...you will have a single master cylinder...and probably no brake booster. Changing that to a dual master cylinder with PB will probably require some work to the hood if the PB dosen´t fit.

You will need new lines, mounting hw for the lines, proportioning valve, connecting blocks, hoses,
calipers, mounting hardware, rotors, park brake cables, park brake assy in rear rotors...

...and for sure some time to get that all done.

There are some kits out there that use Camaro front brake stuff.....works...but I would at least keep it all Corvette.

If you use a PB upgrade you might be ok for a driver. I have got still the drums in my car with all new system and they work quite well....

....they used the drums in Sebring as well.....should be ok for daily driving.

[Modified by Mikey1, 10:01 AM 8/12/2003]
Old 08-12-2003, 11:04 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Default Re: 63-64 disc brake conversion (Mikey1)

There is also a an outer frame rail clearance issue at the rear; '65 and later frames have a stamped depression at 12 o'clock in the rear kickup for rear caliper clearance. :thumbs:
Old 08-12-2003, 01:25 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,152 Likes on 484 Posts

Far easier and cheaper to convert just the front with plenty of stopping power. That's what I did on my '64.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:35 PM
Brutal64
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: 63-64 disc brake conversion (toddalin)

Or you could just rebuild the entire drum brake system which works just fine for street driving. That's what I did. It will save you a bunch of time and money.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:38 PM
GaryC
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: 63-64 disc brake conversion (Brutal64)

I agree with Brutal64. I did the same thing with my '63. I think the originals are fine. The only concern that I have (but haven't done anything about it) is that it has a single master cylinder.

One question: I thought that only the '63 had a single master cylinder. Is that wrong?

GaryC

Old 08-12-2003, 02:53 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Re: 63-64 disc brake conversion (GaryC)

I agree with Brutal64. I did the same thing with my '63. I think the originals are fine. The only concern that I have (but haven't done anything about it) is that it has a single master cylinder.

One question: I thought that only the '63 had a single master cylinder. Is that wrong?

GaryC
My 64 has the single also. I'd just like to add power to the drums but not sure how to go about it. It stops fine though, really. :steering:
Old 08-12-2003, 05:09 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 542 Likes on 313 Posts

Default Re: 63-64 disc brake conversion (MasterDave)

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't it be possible to transfer the whole disk brake system from a '65 -'79 car and install this system on the '63-'64 model years .. ? .. Could a BFH and tool be used to depress the area of the '63-'64 frame where caliper clearance is needed, as JohnZ mentioned . . .. ? .. A guy told me he'd sell a complete Corvette disk brake system to fit my '64. Not that I'd do it as I would opt to keep the car in original trim, but it does sound interesting.

mrg
Old 08-12-2003, 07:21 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Default Re: 63-64 disc brake conversion (GaryC)

Yes, '63s are single circuit. The first dual circuits m/cs were 1967 - federal requirement though a few cars may have had them before.

The single greatest cause of master cylinder failure is corrosion. If you have a like new system without any corrosion and change the fluid every two years the hydraulics will likely outlive many of us.

The industry has never been very forthright about the water absorbtion and corrosion problem with glycol based fluid, and GM, to this day, still does not recommend fluid changes, but the European OEMs do every one to two years, and I've been following this schedule since I figured out the problem in the mid-seventies. Wish I had known back in '63 to change brake fluid peridoically. If I did I would probably still have the original m/c in my SWC.

Duke
Old 08-12-2003, 07:42 PM
drd1vette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To buy an aftermarket system such Vette Products, etc. would be very costly and not really net you an improved system. If you are not racing the car, the stock system works fine as long as it is properly maintained. I did this before I began racing and it made a big difference. I just bought a used disc system from a parts guy, complete and it is a simple bolt in. Otherwise you will have to order lots of other parts. I did go to a newer powerbrabe booster and dual mastercylinder. But doing this required working the hood for clearance. Better to buy the correct year booster and m/c combo for ease of installation. Hope this helps. :auto:
Old 08-12-2003, 08:30 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default Re: 63-64 disc brake conversion (drd1vette)

Some 66 Corvettes had the double pin L88 type brakes (J56).
The first split master cylinder system that I am personally ware of was on the 1963 Z06 Corvette.
I have run with disc fronts and stock Z06 Rears for 20 years. That said, I run with an adjustable balance (brake proportioning valve) and a 67 double master cylinder. My car stops well on the race track, however, most of my competition uses four wheel disc brakes. I was aware of the "dimple" JohnZ spoke of in the rear frame to clear the disc brake calipers. On a race car, that is not an issue, since stock track is always adjustable for whatever you desire. Many knowledgable people on this board recommend the stock drum brakes, and that is their right to that opinion. I agree if the intent is only a show or cruise street car. However, for a Corvette driven in a sporting manner, I would recommend discs. they are simply in another league. I scared myself to death for years racing with the "best drum brakes (Z06) of that era". The best recommendation I can give the discs is simply that I never notice or think about the brakes while racing..............in STRONG contradiction to the drums! ALL vintage racing organizations accept tihe upgrade to "stock" KH discs. Go for it. You'll be glad you did:-)
Old 08-14-2003, 02:14 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Default Re: 63-64 disc brake conversion (63Corvette)

Change over to discs and join the cast of thousands who can't bleed their brakes, caliper leaks, air in the system, rotor run-out, parking brake don't hold and on and on. Life is too short. Why punish yourself for a street driver?

Mike :)
Old 08-14-2003, 03:15 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 542 Likes on 313 Posts

Default Re: 63-64 disc brake conversion (drd1vette)

My car still has the original factory drum brakes (J65) it rolled off the assembly line with. In all the years I've owned this car I can remember two occassions where a master cylinder and wheel cylinder rebuild kits were installed. Otherwise, maintainence with this brake system has been practically nil. No complaints. Too bad the disks weren't available starting with the '53's ..

Get notified of new replies

To 63-64 disc brake conversion

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 63-64 disc brake conversion