C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

TPI

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 09:37 AM
Veet 66
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPI

Has anyone changed their engine from a carb. to a TPI system. I am thinking of replacing my 350 carb. engine with a 350 TPI. I am in the process of trying to match the engine, cam, and TPI.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:21 PM
67 Fuelie
Pro

Default Re: TPI (Veet 66)

I have a TPI on my 327....Check out Street & Performance's site (www.hotrodlane.cc)
Old 09-16-2003, 08:22 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: TPI (67 Fuelie)

i have one on my 73 and i love it,best mod i couldve done.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:20 PM
jump150
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am with Veet 66 on this. I am planning on installing a TPI on my 327 this winter and would love any advice you all can give. Such as which valve covers to use on our old 327's or to go MAF or Speed density. I know everyont has an opinion but Iwould still love to hear them. So 67 Fuelie if you have any pics or write-ups of your install that would be great.

Don :cheers:
Old 09-17-2003, 01:46 PM
Veet 66
Pro

Default Re: TPI (67 Fuelie)

Let me pick your brain.
What gas pedal assembly did you us. The TPI is cable instead of linkage?
Where did you connect your return line to the gas tank at?
Where did you install the ECM?
What year was your TPI?
I am installing the TPI on a 350 engine. I am installing the 260 Comp Cam for the TPI setup. The TPI is a 1990 and I will have to drill out the center holes on the manifold so the bolts will connect to the heads. I am going to run the TH350 auto trans and I will need the speed sensor. Without it the TPI has a slow response on eccel. and decel. Do you have any pictures?
Just another day in paradise.
:crazy:
Old 09-19-2003, 07:15 PM
Veet 66
Pro

Default Re: TPI (jump150)

Don. I just received a 2 part VCR tape from Speed and Performance. Great tape. Shows type of TPI, take down, build up and parts available for the TPI.
Now I just need to find out- What gas peddle to use, where and how to install the return line in the tank, and couple of more details. A member on the c3 site is suppose to send me some info. and I will forward it to you. Sounds like you are planning to make the switch. This will be a winter project. You know look at the parts while having a cold one. Go speed density. Ones are being swtched from MAF to MAP. Get the tape. You will have your questions answered.

:seeya

[Modified by Veet 66, 6:18 PM 9/19/2003]
Old 09-19-2003, 07:20 PM
Veet 66
Pro

Don. I just received a 2 part VCR tape from Speed and Performance. Great tape. Shows type of TPI, take down, build up and parts available for the TPI.
Now I just need to find out- What gas peddle to use, where and how to install the return line in the tank, and couple of more details. A member on the c3 site is suppose to send me some info. and I will forward it to you. Sounds like you are planning to make the switch. This will be a winter project. You know look at the parts while having a cold one.

Old 09-19-2003, 10:18 PM
REVIVER
Racer

Last year I built a 350 for my 87 S-10 Blazer and put the Edelbrock TPI system on it. It is a great kit and comes with everything including the fuel filter. The throttle response in unbelievable and it gets 24 MPG. It comes with a tuneable key pad that allows you to tune everything from the driver seat. You can leave it the way it is set up or tune it anyway you want to. If I can afford it I may order another one for the 67 next spring. Its not cheep but what power and fuel economy. Had it a year and had not one problem, wife drives it every day and loves it. :thumbs: :flag
Old 09-20-2003, 02:10 PM

Default Re: TPI in mt '63R

I put an '87 Camaro TPI on a new crate motor in my last '63, a roadster. Regarding the question on valve covers, I wanted the car to look as ''original" as possible with new technology, so I used the script '63 Corvette valve covers. We had to drill one hole on the top part of the driver's side. Looked fabulous. The car won its class at Super Chevy. Scans available if you want.
Steve G
Old 09-20-2003, 02:41 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: TPI in mt '63R (Sgvette)

Yes...please post some scans if you can.....

TIA
Old 09-22-2003, 09:40 AM
jump150
Racer

Default Re: TPI in mt '63R (kenmo)

Its good to see this post was kept alive while some us did not have electricity..(I got power around 6:30pm sunday night) but I would definitely like to see how you drilled a hole for the vent on the finned valve covers.. I may also have to check out that video tape. Since I am removing the body off the frame would it be easier to run 2 new fuel lines like they did in 64 in the frameor like the 69 where it ran next to it around the rear kickup..

Thanks,
Don
Old 09-22-2003, 12:21 PM
Veet 66
Pro

Default Re: TPI in mt '63R (jump150)

Where ever you decide to run the lines I would have the ends flared with the nuts installed to connect stainless steel hoses to them while you can get to them. The TPI needs high pressure fuel and using rubber fuel connections is a no no. I did a body off last year and installed new line. It is 7/16 so I am going to use it as my return line and run a new 3/8 line for the supply. The big question for me is how to connect the return to the gas tank. I am playing with the idea of removing the tank and cutting a hole in the top and install a fitting and running a stainless steel line down to connect to the main fuel line.

I still need to find the year for the gas pedal so it will work off of the cable to the TPI.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:58 PM
1COOL60
Burning Brakes

Location: Emporia, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain, KS
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I am planning to install a TPI from an 87 IROC on my '60 (350 engine) this winter. As far as a return fuel line, why not install a TEE fitting in the fuel line upstream of the pump, and run the return line to it rather than cutting into the tank? I realize you may lose some cooling of the returning fuel, but I don't think that would be a problem.
I kept the entire throttle assembly out of the IROC, and plan to use it.
I will be installing the unit on World Product heads. They have the same intake bolt configuration as the early heads, so the center bolt holes on the base plate will need to be elongated. I see Weiand has some wedge-shaped spacers for installing an early manifold on late heads. Does anyone know if these can be reversed to install a late manifold (baseplate) on the early heads?
Old 09-22-2003, 08:42 PM

Default Re: TPI in mt '63R (kenmo)

No luck posting scans... email me at sgvette@aol.com and Ill send you one-
Steve G
Old 09-23-2003, 08:27 AM
Veet 66
Pro

Default Re: TPI (1COOL60)

I thought about tieing the two together but after talking to S&P and some others they said that was not going to work. I spoke to a garge I know and he said to pull the tank and they would brass a line into the top. I guess the right way to do it is to send it out and have a pump and a dam around the pump in the tank to prevent starving of the gas if you were low on fuel and going around a turn. I don't drive it that much to put in another $900. in to the tank work. Because it sits more than drive I always keep the tank full anyway. :seeya
Old 09-23-2003, 11:07 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

i used my existing fuel tank and sending unit and attached a 89 vette fuel pump to it,i can run it as low as 2 gallons of gas in it without any trouble around hard turns.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:14 AM
Veet 66
Pro

Default Re: TPI (patsnitrovette)

Does the 89 vette fuel pump go in the tank or outside? How did you do the return line back to the tank? Did you use any rubber hoses to connect from the tank to the supply or return lines?
Thanks for your help.

Get notified of new replies

To TPI

Old 09-23-2003, 04:16 PM
jump150
Racer

I would love to know what people are doing in regards to the fuel pump and return lines as well. I have no problem running an external fuel pump but an intake stock pump wouldnt be bad either.. And how safe is it to totally clean a tank weld a fitting for a return line in a tank.. I would hate to win a Darwin award for blowing myself up!!

Don
Old 09-24-2003, 08:27 AM
Veet 66
Pro

I agree but I spoke to a corvette shop here and he said to drop off the tank and they would weld in a fitting to accept the ss hose. I figure I would drop it off and ask him to give me a 15 minute head start before he starts on the tank.I called a place called Rockvalley Antique Auto Parts and they could make me a new tank, install the pump and baffles. The cost was $980. I rather use that money somewhere else. I have heard from others that they would rather have an external pump so if it fails it can be replaced easily. This is what I have decided to do. On the lines I will keep the line I have on the car and use it as my return and run a 3/8 line for my supply. All connections will be ss flex line and fittings. My engine is a stock 350 and I have been told to use a 260 H comp. cam which is used for TPI with electric modification. Hope this helps.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:41 AM
jump150
Racer

I think an external fuel pump would be the easiest route to go then. I have used them on my rockcrawler jeeps and they are no louder then I expected and I suspect the exhaust will be able to overpower its noise. Its sounds as though the hardest part will be installing the adapter on the tank for the return line.

Don

Quick Reply: TPI