C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Fuel injection Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 05:59 PM
wesmigletz
12.14 w/ the original 327

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
CI 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Default Fuel injection Questions

I recently purchased a '59 that spent most of its life as a drag car, then parked in storage. I'm seriously considering building a mild, solid-lifter cammed 350 or destroked 400 for it. I have what's supposed to be the original block, but nothing else to go with it; my plan is to just hang onto it. The car currently has a mildly built 350 of unknown specs, a broken 4 spd, and a 3.00 geared Ford rear. I'm looking to build a dual purpose car capable of high 12's in the 1/4 and a 150 top end at a SCTA event. I'm having the 4spd looked at to see if it can be rebuilt, but I'll likely be swapping a Tremec 5 spd in the near future.

There is a local guy interested in doing a partial swap of his '63/64 Fuel Injectin unit (he has one of each), with cash for my 1965 Malibu convertible. I'm considering his offer, but would like some more advice. I'm interested in swapping a FI unit whether I get it from him or elsewhere.

From reading older posts, it seems the '63-65 FI units have more power potential. Are there any pitfalls to avoid when shopping for a complete unit? Are there any service type parts needed that are no longer available? Any hidden areas for damage to be aware of?

Could some one also recommend a shop in So Cal that sells or services the FI units. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

A couple pics available at http://www.picturetrail.com/wesmigletz

[Modified by wesmigletz, 11:00 PM 11/4/2003]
Old 11-04-2003, 10:19 PM
Viking427
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Fuel injection Questions (wesmigletz)

If you're looking for High 12's and 150mph with 3.00 gears, and you plan on doing any street driving, you might be better served with a stroker SB (383-406) and EFI. IMO, those power levels are pushing the breathing capability of even the 63-65 Rochester FI units (at least in OEM form). The "Engine Mods" DB boys can dial you in to the best aproach.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:43 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default Re: Fuel injection Questions (Viking427)

Nobody said anything about "OEM FI". Send me an e-mail, and I will elaborate. Carbs are the ticket IF all you want is HP numbers and drag strip. If you are looking for all around performance, FI is the ticket. It is NOT cost effective!!!
Old 11-04-2003, 11:29 PM
jerrybramlett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 288 Likes on 121 Posts

Are there any pitfalls to avoid when shopping for a complete unit?

Yes. Missing parts, cracked castings, modified parts, Frankenstein combinations, water damage, fire damage, and any other kind of abuse and neglect you can think of.

Are there any service type parts needed that are no longer available?

You will be surprised by how much is needed for "service" of a used up unit. None of the major castings are reproduced. Used original FI parts usually cost hundreds of dollars each.

Any hidden areas for damage to be aware of?

Often the fuel meter of a swap meet type unit has missing or damaged internal parts. However, you can usually buy used FM internal parts such as the high pressure pump, float, axle link, ratio lever, and spill valve for a total of less than $1,000.

Could some one also recommend a shop in So Cal that sells or services the FI units.

If you still want to know who to call about Rochester FI work in CA, contact me off this Board.

[Modified by jerrybramlett, 10:32 PM 11/4/2003]
Old 11-05-2003, 12:03 AM
wesmigletz

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 8-9-10 Veteran

Thanks for the advice. I considered building a 383 or a 406, but I'm a little concerned about the parasitic drag of the longer stroke and the FI running out of breath at the higher RPMs. I'm seriously considering some mid sized (170-200CC) aftermarket aluminum heads to help the power output. I plan to eventually swap in a 5 or 6 speed and hope the steeper first gear will help the 60' some. I supose if all else fails, and I need more gear at the track, the pumpkins are easy enough to swap in the Ford rear.

I've considered swapping to a later LS1 and 6 spd, but I really like the nostalgia feel to the car. I know the OE FI wouldn't be the most cost effective induction, in fact, it will probably be the most expensive part of the resto. I've built a few Chevelles and Novas over the years, and pretty much got carb tuning down pat, but this will be my first attempt at FI, and I'm hoping to do it as smoothly as possible. Thanks again for the replies.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:26 AM
63FI
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run a set of Trick Flow 195's on my FI and it works great. 7000+ RPM and just keeps on going.
You will like it! :thumbs:
Old 11-05-2003, 08:47 PM
wesmigletz

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 8-9-10 Veteran

Thanks again for the replies. I've gotten a few private emails and it seems my performance goals and stock FI aren't really compatible. Looks like I'll have to re-evaluate my performance goals or the use of FI.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:14 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks again for the replies. I've gotten a few private emails and it seems my performance goals and stock FI aren't really compatible. Looks like I'll have to re-evaluate my performance goals or the use of FI.
If FI turns you on, you might look into some of the aftermarket EFI systems (Holley, Edelbrock, Accel, etc.). While still way pricier than a carbbed setup, they cost much less than a good Rochester system, can perform even better, and they're available in different configurations to meet most any performance goal.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:24 PM
wesmigletz

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 8-9-10 Veteran

Default Re: Fuel injection Questions (Vetterodder)

Vetterodder, I've considered the aftermarket EFI. There are some good systems out there. I kinda like the holley systems, but I think I'd try to swap an LS1 and sixspeed before swapping to aftermarket EFI. I guess my desire for an OE fuel injection is more nostalgic than practical... anyways, thanks again for the suggestion.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:58 PM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hard to beat the "cool" factor of a vintage FI system. :auto:
Old 11-05-2003, 11:24 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Re: Fuel injection Questions (62fuelie)

:iagree: {62 fuelie} Nice pieces, neat as hell. But as bad as everyone wants one, they are not for everbody :D

[Modified by Ironcross, 11:29 PM 11/5/2003]
Old 11-05-2003, 11:39 PM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Fuel injection Questions (Ironcross)

:iagree:
Old 11-06-2003, 09:19 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The doghouse on the 63-65 units doesn't look a thing like the 57-62 Rochester units.............
:yesnod:
Old 11-06-2003, 09:10 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Fuel injection Questions (MassVette)

The doghouse on the 63-65 units doesn't look a thing like the 57-62 Rochester units.............
:yesnod:
Maybe not, but they still look cool when you open the hood! :lol:

Old 11-07-2003, 08:57 AM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

..you can not beat jerry's advice

...i've got a complete '64 corvette FI unit in the basement (powder coated the manifold and dog house, blue printed correct distributor (remember, you need the correct distributor that simultaneously drives the tach and fuel meter)) and the cost of just getting this thing into the engine compartment is staggering (which is why it's still sitting in the basement).....

...what really stopped me is the additional cost of feeding this thing cold air...FI's DO NOT like underhood air....i could have fabricate a cold air intake but it would just not look the same as the original design...price a repro, correct FI cold air intake recently????
Old 11-07-2003, 11:03 AM
Birdball
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Fuel injection Questions (Kid_Again)

How about a late model ramjet that has the similar look to the old ones. This looks like the ticket if you are looking for that nostalgia feel:
http://www.azspeed.com/cofuinsy.html

They modify the GM ramjet for a side throttle body. I think it looks pretty cool. It would feed that kind of power no problem. Personally, I think a destroked 400 would be really cool. Either a 327 or 350 crank, and it would have that high RPM capability you are looking for.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:16 AM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Fuel injection Questions (Birdball)

...where do you guys find this stuff???????

....order a $32,000 engine with a click of a mouse :crazy:

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel injection Questions

Quick Reply: Fuel injection Questions