C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Any pic's of Stahl Headers 63/67 short or long on small block?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 01:11 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default Any pic's of Stahl Headers 63/67 short or long on small block?

I have run the headers and side pipes, then converted to run the Hedman 1-7/8 3-1/2 collectors under car for years when I went to angle plug heads and would rather dump my exhaust out the side. I have angle plug heads which I have been told are a problem with Hooker side mounts and plus I have cut the side molding brackets. With the Stahl short, Any pictures or comments!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 10-08-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:57 PM
bcwaller
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: Any pic's of Stahl Headers 63/67 short or long on small block? (TCracingCA)

I don't think you are going to find any. Jere Stahl says that they don't fit small block nid-year cars. You might be able to find some pictures on a C3 and extrapolate the difference. He explained that they exit wrong for the C2 body style.

Your options seem to be that you could buy the "kit" version and modify that as needed when you have it all welded up, go to a full custom header shop, or try making your own. You can try "Headers by Ed" http://www.headersbyed.com/ for a kit and do them yourself.

I have heads with angle plugs and raised ports and have been hard pressed to find more than a handful or manufacturers who can deal with that and the side pipes. Sanderson makes shorty headers (non-long tube, not equal length) that they say will fit, and I'm thinking of buying them and going the custom route later. Also, the Hedman side exit for the small block will not fit with angle plugs. I have pictures to prove that! :bb

[Modified by bcwaller, 4:59 PM 12/29/2003]
Old 12-31-2003, 01:30 PM
jkmhb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Any pic's of Stahl Headers 63/67 short or long on small block? (bcwaller)

Brad - I'd be real insterested which side pipe headers fit angle plug heads - since that's what I'm dealing with. I have angle plug chevy 3991492 heads. Thanks!
Old 12-31-2003, 06:47 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Re: Any pic's of Stahl Headers 63/67 short or long on small block? (bcwaller)

Hey thanks again for the reply. Making them, what a pain. The Sanderson won't maintain the performance level. I know the Stahl is basically a racing exhaust for track use only. I know that they had models in just about every pipe diameter up to 2" for small block. Because I want to exit them behind the front tires so the C3 configuration might fly. I was told that they hang a little too low. I think the engine mount location in a C2 and C3 are the same on a 63-82 chassis. I have found out that the hooker header side mounts will work with angle plug heads but two of the plugs are tight and would need a wrench not a socket to remove. I wanted to shorten the stahl units and weld a flange and if I ever run the car on the street again or run an event where noise restrictions db meters exist, I can use a supertrap disc on the end just to get by. I think I have seen some of these units at the vintage races but wasn't shopping back then and didn't think to ask what setups they were using. I run copper gaskets and studs so loosing them and backing them off to change plugs is a pain but on too terrible with all of the room in a 63-67 engine bay. Thanks!

[Modified by TCracingCA, 6:48 PM 12/31/2003]
Old 01-03-2004, 01:13 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Re: Any pic's of Stahl Headers 63/67 short or long on small block? (TCracingCA)

Back up top one more time in case someone was off enjoying holidays before I kill the topic.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:55 PM
bcwaller
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Just a thought about the Stahls. You can buy them as a kit, which might allow you to set them up for your application and then weld them. This might help with clearance issues, as well as it might allow you to cut and modify them to fit the C2 body. If you go this route, I would be very interested in seeing what mods are needed. If it is not too much, I could take them to my local shop and have them modify to fit as well, but they don't do custom headers any more. :mad

Get notified of new replies

To Any pic's of Stahl Headers 63/67 short or long on small block?

Quick Reply: Any pic's of Stahl Headers 63/67 short or long on small block?