C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Any Vette Events in Houston???

Old 12-21-2003, 09:01 PM
Goodname4ID
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Vette Events in Houston???

I have moved to Houston Tx and will be bringing my 66 vette soon. I would like information on Cruise Nights, Vette events, and Vette Clubs in the Houston area.
Thanks,
:steering:
Old 12-21-2003, 10:35 PM
dropTopTx
Pro

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default Re: Any Vette Events in Houston??? (Goodname4ID)

Welcome to the neighborhood! What part of town are you in?

With Houston being as large as it is there are lots of Vette groups around but most are C5 heavy and there seems to be a lack of active groups of C1 - C3. The biggest group with some of the classics seems to be http://www.shccvette.com/. They are a nice group of folks but too far north for me to do much with very often. Another group is http://www.corvetteownersclubhouston.com/ . Again nice people but I dont think there are any members with C1 or 2.

Lots of classic muscle cars meet at Ottos BBQ at the Fountains off South 59 most Sat nights. Also a good group of muscle cars at Sams at I10 & Hwy6 also on Sat.

Biggest show of the year is coming up in Feb at GRB convention center. Its Corvette Chevy Expo and its 2/21 - 22. Trying to get mine back together to make that show. Also lots of local shows throughout the year. Check the Southwest forum of this board for more local stuff.

Look forward to seeing your 66
Todd
Old 12-22-2003, 06:58 AM
Goodname4ID
Instructor

Default Re: Any Vette Events in Houston??? (perryth)

Thanks Todd,
I live inside the Loop, near the Galeria. I am just learning my way around this city.

OT - I plan to tow my car on a U-Haul trailer (again). I would buy my own trailer if I had a place to store it. I tried booking the trailer at Uhaul.com, but 3 out of the 4 places that it referred me to did not exist and the forth was not open during their posted hopurs on a Saturday and no answer on the phone either!!! It is amazing how many uhaul places have disappeared lately.

I hope to be in town for lots of events. will try to be very open minded, especially around C5 guys!!! Just think, soon we will have to be nice to C6 guys too :crazy:

See you around town,
Lee
Old 12-22-2003, 11:29 AM
00Nassau
Safety Car

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Lee,

The two largest clubs are Sam Houston Corvette Club and San Jacinto Corvette Club. Both clubs have good, friendly people. My wife and I are very active in the Sam Houston Corvette Club; my wife is currently president. As Todd stated most of the Corvettes in the club are newer, mostly C5's. We do have a 69 convertible that we are getting active in NCRS with, and there are several older Corvettes in the club.

In mid-February there is the annual Corvette/Chevy Expo at the George R. Brown Convention Center, downtown Houston. You may want to put your car in the show, or at least come look around. This is the largest Corvette show of the year in Houson. Both Sam Houston and San Jacinto Corvette Clubs are always represented, and the NCRS also will have a large display and will actually be judging cars at the show.

Let me know if I can help you with anything.

Allen Nichols
Old 12-30-2003, 09:16 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Re: Any Vette Events in Houston??? (00Nassau)

I'm currently doing a frame off on my 59, so I've been missing out on the cruise nights. There's good one during warm whether down in League City on Friday nights, at the League City park, put on by the Space City Cruisers. http://www.spacecitycruisers.com There used to be one on Saturday nights at the Dixie Diner on the Gulf Freeway, but they ran them out of there, and I don't know where they've gone. I went to one a couple times a couple of years ago in Pasadena (near a Krogers?), but I don't know if that is still happening, either.

The February Vette Show at the George R. Brown, is great - I go there every year, usually both Saturday and Sunday.

p.s. does anyone know any good paint shops in Houston, that know how to paint a Vette (show quality)? Thanks for any info.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:34 PM
Goodname4ID
Instructor

Default Re: Any Vette Events in Houston??? (Loren59)

Thanks for the info on the clubs and cruise nights.

I am also interested in a Houston paint shop because my 66 has a crack in one of the front fenders. Please post a new topic asking about houston paint shops. I have met a guy that owns a body shop up on Kuykendahl that does good work, but not sure if he does "show" quality work. I will investigate.

cheers,
Lee
Old 12-31-2003, 06:53 PM
dropTopTx
Pro

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default Re: Any Vette Events in Houston??? (Loren59)

My painter does lots of custom/show cars and bikes. I cant suggest him if you are in a hurry but he did an amazing job on my 62. If I can get it all back together in time you can check it out at the GRB in Feb. If you want his contact info send me an email. You can also see some pics of the process on my website. Link is in my sig.

tperry@credotechnology.com
Old 01-03-2004, 12:42 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Thanks, Goodname and perryth!
Old 01-03-2004, 04:30 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Welcome to Houston!

The two bigest clubs have been listed and the show in February, so I don't have much to add except that I hope you look into some of the Cruise In deals as I think it's great to have old Vette's show up at places where they "stand out" a little. At a Vette show you expect them, but at Cruise In's there aren't a lot of them and you get more opportunity to show off the car and "convert" folks!

Look forward to seeing yout car and meeting you.

Don't forget the Corvette Forum Cruise In in May at Bowling Green. We're planning on drving up with some C-2's and C-3's!

See ya,

JIM
Old 01-03-2004, 05:21 PM
67ratrag
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Any Vette Events in Houston??? (427Hotrod)

Oh, yeah. We also have the fastest frikin' street midyear right here in our midst. 427 Hotrod drives and races his extra big big block 67 vert. He gets banned from most tracks after one run because of his time: basically a true low 10 second car @130 mph or so if I remember correctly. Now, that's an event! All throttle, no NO2. He got to race recently and put down all the other corvette rabble made after 1967. It happened because it was not an NHRA event because as we all know, repeat after me:

No
Hot
Rods
Allowed

:rant:

[Modified by 67ratrag, 4:28 PM 1/3/2004]
Old 01-06-2004, 08:39 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Thanks, Goodname and perryth!
Old 01-08-2004, 10:31 PM
bondtimbond
Instructor

This is great, as I have been wondering about others with C2's in Houston too. I just joined the NCRS and have been going to the Vette show each Feb for several years. I have a 67 Conv that I will also be bringing to Houston soon. It is in San Marcos (where I grew up) now where I have been working in it periodically for years. I live in the Clear Lake area.

By the way, there is a local chapter NCRS event this Saturday that I found out about. It think the topic is polishing and restoration of SS trim and plastic trim. I plan on going if only to meet folks and check out the Corvette shop that it is at. If you are interested, send me an email and I will forward you the invite that I had forwarded to me. It is open to all.

bondtimbond@netzero.net
Tim Bond :chevy

[Modified by bondtimbond, 9:34 PM 1/8/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To Any Vette Events in Houston???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any Vette Events in Houston???