C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

do it yourself C2 convertable weatherstripping ......its easy DUI project, BUT..

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 02:33 PM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Default do it yourself C2 convertable weatherstripping ......its easy DUI project, BUT..

Just finished installing 10 piece weatherstripping on my 1966 convertable, it was relatively easy to do , most pieces bolt on , basicly each piece has small threaded studs on it that are already attached to weatherstripping & held to top frame with approx, 11/32 small nuts..........first time I did it & only took 2 hours , as I was very careful....next time it will take only hour or so, the only situation was the headder piece ( top of windshield between roof & windshield ) about 30 inches long ., it was to small in diameter approx the thickness of my little finger , it seals the top of convertable top to windshield frame & it did not fill gap & a 1/8" air space existed , :eek: as the adjoining pieces(front overdoor corner) were approx 3/4 " thick on both sides , they would not compress enough to allow header piece to compress to windshield , resulting in a 1/8" gap along top, went to hardware store got a universal weathersrip approx 3/4" wide & 5/8 thick & 30 "long,ran it along the weatherstrip & it resolved problem/gap & looks OK. ......also did the the pillar strip that vertically gos along widshield frame stainless trip & door it was relatively easy to do as it sldes into a stailess steel trim piece.is held with phillips screws & alittle glue>>>>>>> Has anyone had a simular situation with the front/top piecce on front of top being to small in diameter ???? JOB DONE , works for me :party: the Dog :auto: :thumbs: :auto: :thumbs: :auto: :steering: :flag
Old 04-27-2004, 07:19 PM
Mike Smith
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: do it yourself C2 convertable weatherstripping ......its easy DUI project, BUT.. (StrayDog)

Dog -

I need to replace my weatherstripping but I always figured it was not a DIY job for a first timer. Where did you get your kit, and did it come with adequate instructions?

Mike
Old 04-28-2004, 09:22 AM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

Default Re: do it yourself C2 convertable weatherstripping ......its easy DUI project, BUT.. (StrayDog)

I did mine a couple of years ago and it was a piece of cake. Didn't have the gap issue you found at the windshield. Got my parts from Corvette Rubber. The only gap I still have on both the Vert top and Hard top is on the rear bow in the center. Can't seem to get either top down tight enough to seal over the peak in the body.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:48 AM
kyosho
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: do it yourself C2 convertable weatherstripping ......its easy DUI project, BUT.. (Subfixer)

Did mine last winter. The round weatherstripping at my front bow is also a bit small.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:31 AM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: do it yourself C2 convertable weatherstripping ......its easy DUI project, BUT.. (Mike Smith)

Mike........I got mine from ZIP, but based upon conversations with others (QUALITY) I recomend Corvette rubber or Long Island Vetts. again it is a simple job , just take a good look at your weaterstrippin, as a guide & doo one piece at a time...the stud locations are oval holes & allow adjusting by sliding to left or right................... :cheers: :seeya :auto: the Dog. Woof Note>>> ZIP kit (10 pieces) did not come with any instructions. :seeya :steering:

[Modified by StrayDog, 11:32 AM 4/28/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To do it yourself C2 convertable weatherstripping ......its easy DUI project, BUT..

Quick Reply: do it yourself C2 convertable weatherstripping ......its easy DUI project, BUT..