C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Where do all the "stock" engines come from???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 11:21 PM
SPLITRAY
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Where do all the "stock" engines come from???

I'm doing my 63 now (started yesterday), but I check the forum first to see if there is any thing new that will help. I notice a great deal of discussion concerning the Overhaulin episode of the 64 coupe.
The major concern seemed to be for the "original" engine.

I have been kinda thinking of blowin that idea off when I get to that point of my resto. The reason being, Where do all the stock engines come from when you don't have one to begin with? If I could locate one, why should I assumed it is even a workable engine? They really are in limited supply. My car could set on jack stands for decades waiting for an original engine.

So how are you guys doing this original engine thing? (assuming you are not starting with one, like most, I think).
Mike S.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:37 PM
Classicvette63
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are fakes. All of the numbers on a block can be forged. Even the most knowledgeable can be fooled. 38 documented '67 L-88's when Chevy only made 20. Hmmm.Classic
Old 08-28-2004, 07:04 AM
Dave McDufford
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mgsouthard
I'm doing my 63 now (started yesterday), but I check the forum first to see if there is any thing new that will help. I notice a great deal of discussion concerning the Overhaulin episode of the 64 coupe.
The major concern seemed to be for the "original" engine.

I have been kinda thinking of blowin that idea off when I get to that point of my resto. The reason being, Where do all the stock engines come from when you don't have one to begin with? If I could locate one, why should I assumed it is even a workable engine? They really are in limited supply. My car could set on jack stands for decades waiting for an original engine.

So how are you guys doing this original engine thing? (assuming you are not starting with one, like most, I think).
Mike S.
The question more relates to what is the purpose of your restoration - what do you want to end up with when you are done. Assuming you do not have the original block with the original machining marks, your options are open.

You can put a modern/new crate motor in it, rebuild whatever you have in it or get a correct block with a casting date close to your build date and other original parts and make it look like it did from the factory. All the last one takes is money. The parts are readily available including for a fuelie.

As I understand it, you can do the latter, be honest about it, and only lose 38 points (for the pad) in NCRS judging.

I would stop and make certain you know what you want to end up with. It can get very expensive to change your mind mid-stream. My objective, from the beginning, for the '65 I am finishing up was a "brand new 1965" Corvette as the General made it so the NCRS standards are what I followed.

Good luck it is taking me 2 1/2 years - every Saturday and Sunday.

Dave
Old 08-28-2004, 09:44 AM
gary6696
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04

A lot (1,500 by their claim) came from here:

http://www.classicenginecompany.com/

I have one of their engines, and I am happy with it. It cost me a few hundred dollars more to get the correct block and date. Considering all the money I have put in the car, why not?
Old 08-28-2004, 01:23 PM
SPLITRAY
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave McDufford
The question more relates to what is the purpose of your restoration - what do you want to end up with when you are done. Assuming you do not have the original block with the original machining marks, your options are open.

You can put a modern/new crate motor in it, rebuild whatever you have in it or get a correct block with a casting date close to your build date and other original parts and make it look like it did from the factory. All the last one takes is money. The parts are readily available including for a fuelie.

As I understand it, you can do the latter, be honest about it, and only lose 38 points (for the pad) in NCRS judging.

I would stop and make certain you know what you want to end up with. It can get very expensive to change your mind mid-stream. My objective, from the beginning, for the '65 I am finishing up was a "brand new 1965" Corvette as the General made it so the NCRS standards are what I followed.

Good luck it is taking me 2 1/2 years - every Saturday and Sunday.

Dave
I think you are absolultely right dave, I really haven't thought (settled on) about what I want to end up with. I can see that as I start removing small parts etc. that who ever put this thing together in the 70's just wanted it to look good to sell, and it does, to the inexperienced purchaser. (1/4-20's where GM screws and clips would normaly go, etc.)

It has a nice engine but not very streetable, 350/400hp, 194fi heads, 13.5:1 comp, recurved dist, and after all that a single point dist, and this thing needs racing fuel to run right.

I knew what I was getting when I bought it and I don't have to far to go to get it perfect (NOT OEM stock, but a beautiful driver!). I mean this car even looks good sitting on jack stands!
I will do the chassis, front suspension, engine, and carpets. The rest is all there and mostly stock and/or I have done it already. Looks like a muncie tranny with a hurst shifter though.

I keep telling myself, If I haven't got the 327 it came with...just put the horsepower in it that I want. I don't plan on entering any concours type shows anyway! (I think that's how you spell concours?).
Mike S.

Get notified of new replies

To Where do all the "stock" engines come from???

Quick Reply: Where do all the "stock" engines come from???