C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What kind of corvette engine do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 08:06 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

note that Barry's conclusions [all reasonable and valid] are premised on the veracity of the engine pad stamp, heck even block casting dates have been faked (personally I don't believe someone would go to such lengths with a Tonowanda block)
Old 08-25-2004, 09:03 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ctjackster
note that Barry's conclusions [all reasonable and valid] are premised on the veracity of the engine pad stamp, heck even block casting dates have been faked (personally I don't believe someone would go to such lengths with a Tonowanda block)
yes, that's completly true.
But I'm assuming that the numbers on the block are not just a faked up restamp.
I mean, if someone wanted to "fake" up a motor and knew enough to have it restamped to make it seem something it wasn't, I figure they (hopefully) would know enough to at least use a proper block to begin with and a Tonawanda block is just wrong!
If it's a case of a restamp job, than as JohnZ said, it's just a very poor backyard restamp and you will never know the history of it!

Pat, if the motor runs good, just enjoy the car and I wouldn't worry too much about where the motor came from. I understand curiosity, but this is one you probably will never find out anymore info so instead of driving yourself crazy about it, go out and drive the car and enjoy it instead
Old 08-25-2004, 09:14 AM
Denney
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Block info

Originally Posted by BarryK
You know the casting # and date and that it's a Tonawanda block.
Actually, you can not determine with certainty that the "block" is from Tonawanda just because it has a "T" in the engine code stamping. It is always possible that somebody restamped the engine pad after decking and used a "T" instead of an "F" or "V". With regard to the casting numbers, those too (believe it or not) have been modified on some blocks in the past with the original casting number ground down and a new number built up using epoxy. Now, I am not saying this is the case here... but... just something to think about. From my perspective, the various parts listed that were used to build the engine would merely put the engine in a NOM status and I would treat it as such. If it runs fine, drive it. If you want numbers matching, then go find a correct block and start all over.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:51 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Denney
Actually, you can not determine with certainty that the "block" is from Tonawanda just because it has a "T" in the engine code stamping. It is always possible that somebody restamped the engine pad after decking and used a "T" instead of an "F" or "V". With regard to the casting numbers, those too (believe it or not) have been modified on some blocks in the past with the original casting number ground down and a new number built up using epoxy. Now, I am not saying this is the case here... but... just something to think about. From my perspective, the various parts listed that were used to build the engine would merely put the engine in a NOM status and I would treat it as such. If it runs fine, drive it. If you want numbers matching, then go find a correct block and start all over.
again, that's true and what i had concluded was based on the block not being restamped as I mentioned in my previous post.
Of course Pat can easily check to see if it's truely a Tonawanda block or not by looking for a square-head plug above the timing cover at around 11 o'clock. If there is no plug it's a Tonawanda block. (see JohnZ's previous post).
Old 08-25-2004, 08:42 PM
PatOpsahl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No square head plug above the timing cover at 11:00 o'clock. So, it is a Tonawanda block with casting number 3782870, looked closely at casting number today, looks original. The date code, I2363 located below the casting number also looks to be original.
As you all have said, let it go, I have something unique. No can do. In the future I will take it apart. What should I look for? Solid lifters, cam size, pistons?
The reason being I want to make some money to cover the cost of buying a LS1/6speed to install in my 65 convertible.
So far I have 1967 heads, 1965 bellhousing and 4 speed Muncie for sale.
And Oh yes, a 1963 870 block made at Tonawanda configured to be 365hp!!
Old 08-25-2004, 10:09 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PatOpsahl
And Oh yes, a 1963 870 block made at Tonawanda configured to be 365hp!!
unless you see the inside parts you don't know what's it's configured as.

Quick Reply: What kind of corvette engine do I have?