C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

why can't i post grandsport pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 05:39 AM
64grandsport
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why can't i post grandsport pics

help me here,
it took me six months just to get to post on this website and now that i am on, i can not send my pics. i am doing a killer grandsport, with tube chassis and ls1 but can't get pics on. is there a certain amount of time that this takes. do i have to be a teabagger
thanks
Old 11-08-2004, 10:45 AM
Mecom Racer
Burning Brakes

Have you uploaded the photos to a photo hosting service so they can be shared?
Old 11-08-2004, 10:55 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

You can't post pics direct from your hard drive - they have to be hosted on a website (photo hosting service), then you include the URL of the image in your post so it links to the website where your images are hosted.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:14 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Received 76 Likes on 74 Posts

I have seen the GS pictures and I hope he can get them posted. The car looks great
Old 11-08-2004, 07:49 PM
Mecom Racer
Burning Brakes

I'd like to see them.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:56 PM
RichF
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '04 & '05

You can now host your own pics right here on Corvetteforum.com !!! Go here http://forums.corvetteforum.com/photopost/index.php

log in (using the same username and password as you use here on the message boards) upload your pics, then you can post them in your threads
It's free!!!!
Old 11-09-2004, 05:07 AM
64grandsport
Intermediate

Default thanks

i think that i got these posted, and am waiting on aproval. i appreciate the help. it has almost been as hard getting here as it was to build it LOL. Honestly, it has been a full time job building it, but well worth it.
again thanks
Old 11-09-2004, 05:49 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd like to see them also. It sounds like you are doing one of Deans cars (D&D) I built one of his cars years ago. It is now in Fla.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:05 PM
64grandsport
Intermediate

Default finally

got the pics posted on today of y grand sport
thnaks for the help
Old 11-09-2004, 07:47 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Just curious what color it is,almost looks like electronblue but more electric,i love it.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:58 AM
64grandsport
Intermediate

Default color

the color is called daytona blue it is the blue on the 350z (2004) and it comes up in PPG as blue metalic pearl
thanks
Old 11-10-2004, 07:02 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Cool,thanks for the info and again,That is gone to be incredible.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:47 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Just uploaded some pics of mine to the GS category, awaiting approval; I built D&D #39 in 1996. Didn't know Dean was back in business again. I painted mine Chrysler Banzai Blue (PPG, DBU-16575).

Old 11-10-2004, 11:47 AM
Birdball
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey 64grandsport! Nice car! I saw it in person last sunday and it is even cooler in person.... I was down there with a friend of mine picking up some of the aluminum parts for the body. Sorry though, I may have dreweled on your chassis!!

Matt
Old 11-10-2004, 03:26 PM
alwaysWOT
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Birdball
Nice car! I saw it in person last sunday and it is even cooler in person.... I was down there with a friend of mine picking up some of the aluminum parts for the body.
I definately recognize the updated frame and "red" exhaust manifolds.
Good luck with the car, it looks great.

BTW, I'm building D&D #136: coupe, cammed ls1, tko-600.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:37 PM
Mecom Racer
Burning Brakes

How is Dean (D&D) managing to keep selling them? Is he just selling "parts" now? I see an occaisional pile of untouched parts and frames pop up on eBay once in a while and they're always coming out of Ohio. Is that his new way of selling them?
Old 11-11-2004, 12:29 AM
64grandsport
Intermediate

Dan, I think that I talked with you a couple months ago about my car, and I appreciate the help with it. I am still not sure what i am going to have to do about getting MAF and intake tube over the radiator. You had told me that you had made a mounting plate to adapt the ls1. when I went up to do the chassis I started cutting the old mount out to replace it and i thought Dean was about to cry. He kept carring on about an adapter and i kept cutting. When it was finally finished, he was happy with it though.
I think that Dean is Just dabbling now. He is real talented and probably the most schooled person on this car since the mid 60's. I am not sure how good his business sence is though. I am into construction, and i always run into TIME IS MONEY. I am not sure how good a grasp he has on this. That is why I would call him a dabbler. He does great work, and I guess that one thing I never learned is Patience is a virtue, but I probably have 50k in this thing and it sure would look better at my house than up in ohio,350 miles away. I guess I get tired of making the trip and now that cold weather is set in, I don't have anything to play with.
I wish Dean could get this thing swinging back again, (D&D), and told him that he could use my car to show at the expo next spring, but he was suspose to have it done (his end) two weeks ago and it will probably be christmas or so. Again I guess PATIENCE. I was going up this weekend, and he called yesterday and said that he needed money and had to build a deck on someones house?????????

DUHHH???

Get notified of new replies

To why can't i post grandsport pics

Old 11-11-2004, 06:01 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Be carefull with Dean. I know from personal experience not to give him to much money up front. Has he ever solved the cowl shake problem? Did he build any support into the A pillars? He always had a great idea but he is just a little shady. Good luck with the car. Post more pics when it is done. Brian G.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:57 PM
Mecom Racer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aworks
Be carefull with Dean. I know from personal experience not to give him to much money up front. Has he ever solved the cowl shake problem? Did he build any support into the A pillars? He always had a great idea but he is just a little shady. Good luck with the car. Post more pics when it is done. Brian G.
I've heard the same and also heard he may have had to spend some time in the clink for some shady business deals. GM shut him down along with a couple others a while back. I wonder if he's ignoring the cease and decist order.

Take a look at this:

16 January 2003
D&D Corvette/Dean Hoskins
Akron, Ohio USA

Excerpted from "The Cleveland (Ohio) Plain Dealer" newspaper, 16 January 2003:

01/15/03
Karen Farkas, Plain Dealer Reporter

Akron (Ohio) William Hoskins builds replicas of 1963 Corvette race cars. His work attracted the interest of men around the country willing to pay about $50,000 for the striking vehicle. But Hoskins promised more than he could deliver, police said. He was arrested Monday and charged with three counts of theft by deception for taking money and not providing cars.

(Toledo attorney) Eugene Canestrano, whose client is involved in civil lawsuits against Hoskins, said Hoskins built two types of Corvette Grand Sport replicas. He said there are only about 22 original cars remaining. "If you saw it, it would turn your head because it has enormous curb appeal," he said. He said his client, Alpha Beta Design Inc. of Toledo, found Hoskins on the Internet and signed a contract in February 1995. "Hoskins has a certain amount of notoriety and as a craftsman, he's not bad," Canestrano said.

But after years without getting the car, Alpha Beta sued Hoskins in Summit County Common Pleas Court. It was granted a judgment of $56,434 in 2000 but agreed to let Hoskins finish building the car in lieu of payment. The car was delivered in November 2001, but was incomplete, and his client now seeks a judgment for work not done, Canestrano said. Foreclosure action against Hoskins is pending.

According to police documents, David Hudson of Kissimmee, Florida, paid Hoskins $52,000 for a car in July 2000; Dean Schumacher of Waterford, Michigan, paid $42,000 in July 2001, and Thomas Lutge of San Francisco paid $58,000 in August 2001 for Grand Sport replicas. Hoskins assured them the cars were built. But when buyers called his company, the phone was disconnected, so they contacted police.

Officers found no cars were built and the men had each been sent the same identification number for the car on their receipt.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:
kfarkas@plaind.com, 1-800-628-6689
hotlink to entire 'Plain Dealer' newspaper article: http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer

Footnote: I've been cautioning the world about D&D since 1994... and for several years right here on this Consumer Alert page (altho', sigh, all the while the kit car magazines went right on accepting their advertisements and--in lamentable disregard of reader complaints--publishing rave-review feature articles about them). Yet good folks still go right on swan diving into the empty pool. Sigh. Curt Scott

1 June 2002: We received an inquiry from a reader who wants to know if "GSReplica," who is now advertising in Kit Car magazine, is one and the same as D&D Corvette. I just received a call from GSReplica's Mike Miller, who assured me that his company has absolutely no affiliation with D&D, and indeed are aware of the problems that D&D's customers have experienced.

Over the years we've received several serious complaints about this on-again, off-again advertiser of 1962 Corvette Grand Sport replicas and related component parts. Today we received, from D&D customer (Charles and Leslie Howard, in Colorado), an affidavit alleging that the firm and its principal William ("Dean") Hoskins have once again predictably failed to live up to their promises and contractual obligations. On or about 20 October 2000 the Howards, in accordance with prior agreement with D&D's Dean Hoskins, sent a cheque for $2500 for certain Corvette parts, accompanied with Mr. Hoskins' personal assurances of prompt delivery; on several occasions thereafter Hoskins promised Charles that the kit was scheduled for immediate shipment, or had already been shipped; no parts were ever received by the Howards. In the month of December 2000 alone, Mr. & Mrs. Howard left at least fifteen (15) telephone messages with D&D personnel or on the firm's answering machine, with not a single call ever having been returned. Sighhhhhh.

Once again here's an excerpt from the 4th Rule of our "10 Golden Rules for Selecting and Purchasing Your Specialty Car": "Apply the 'telephone test' of character: Don't even consider doing business with anyone who can't exhibit the simple courtesy of returning your telephone calls." And it's far more nefarious for a firm to disregard/avoid telephone calls from a good, paying customer, as is alleged in this case. How do you spell "Caveat Emptor"?
Old 11-11-2004, 03:22 PM
alwaysWOT
Intermediate

64grandsport: I don't think it was me that you spoke with about motor mount adapters. I made adapters from 1/4" steel that bolt to the ls1 block, then a old-school small block mount bolts to the adapter, and then the engine is mounted to the stock D&D frame. My chassis is at about the same level of completion as yours (powertrain is mounted), my next step is to mount the unfinished body to make sure everything is fitting properly. I haven't gotten to MAF placement yet. Where are you located? I'm just a few miles north of detroit.

As for D&D: I don't have the official word, but I think they did go to court over the use of the "Corvette" name. I think they are allowed to go back into production, but have to drop the use of "Corvette."

I bought the frame and all 'glass body parts for coupe #136 back in January. I just got the rest of the trim pieces and windows. In my dealings, I've always went down to Ohio with cash in hand when I new Dean had parts. Everything has been same-day cash for parts so that I don't over extend myself.

aworks: Dean came up with a mostly aluminum support system that ties together the door hinges, rocker supports, a-pillars, and a cross beam between the a-pillars. I haven't installed it yet, but in looking at the body that 64grandsport posted pictures of, it looks pretty robust.

I don't look at this as a "kit car." It's more of an ambitious journey. But the end result will be a sweet looking car that has a similar powertrain but weighs 1/3 less than my 12 second firebird. That keeps me moving forward.

Quick Reply: why can't i post grandsport pics