C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Base-clear or single stage

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 05:38 PM
jeff batchelor
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Base-clear or single stage

Im getting my car ready to paint. It has black lacqer on it now that is starting to crack. I was thinking of base coat clear coat,but my painter suggested a single stage catalised paint that can be buffed out being the car is black. Does anyone have thier car painted with a single stage non lacqer paint, and are you satisfied with it?

Also is ther a chemical striper that will not damage the primer sealer coat under the paint. The primer is a 2 part with hardener that was put on when the car was painted years ago.

Jeff
Old 12-08-2004, 09:13 PM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Dupont paint rep was at my shop this morning and he allowed that he prefered using a single stage (urethane) on black cars. He said he even prefered it on late model spot jobs on black cars. Never had heard that one before, but this guy knows what he's talking about. The urethane for sure can be color sanded and buffed to look like a mirror. The buffing might be a bit more difficult on the straight urethane, but it definately will give a great finish.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:37 PM
ragtopman
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

If I were to do the job, I would use base/clear. Or you can use the single stage paint and after its been cured, go back over it with some 600 grit paper, sand it, and then clear coat it, and then sand and buff it. The finished product will look like a million bucks and you wont have to worry about any oxidation problems.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:17 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Jeff, I know whatever choice you make it will look great. I was really surprised that when I stopped by yesterday that you had the bumpers off.. I can't wait to see it done man.. I'll have to hide mine.. Shoot hide mine.. People will be walking over top it to see that bad black coupe of yours..... Dave...
Old 12-08-2004, 10:46 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I never use anything else but single stage on solid color cars. It is more like the original lacquer finish if done correctly, you can rub and buff as much as you like, and you never have to worry about clear coat problems.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:40 PM
johnoblizlo
Instructor

I have a catalized single stage buffed and polished, I wish I'd applied a clear coat. Clear coat is less problematic than in the past and I don't think you can get that depth and gloss with base coat only unless of course you want it to resemble that original laquer finish.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:00 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Straight colors (no flake) look much better when sanded and buffed if they are single stage urethane. I think base clear solid colors look fake when buffed. I use single stage on some cars depending on the owner and how well he will keep the car. For instance we did a black 57 T Bird for one of my customers, single stage and buffed to a mirror finish. The paint looks like you could reach inside it. He has won !st in show twice with the car. But he keeps the car perfect all the time. The down side to single stage is it is harder to repair and to match color again if needed also if you scratch it, it is there for good. with clear you can most times save it. There is no blending panels it must match panel to panel. Which any painter will understand,can be a PITA. Now I fiinshed a 67 vert corvette in aug. that that guy drives alot. It is red and we did that one base clear. Cause I know that at some point the car is going to need touchup. My own Grand Sport is done single stage. The bottom line is if the car is going to sit and just go to shows and the sun drive once in awhile then single stage will look better and deeper. If you drive alot and don't wax and keep the car up all the time then go base clear. I hope this helps. Ask if you need more info. Brian G.

Last edited by aworks; 12-10-2004 at 05:15 AM.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:25 PM
RLH

Originally Posted by jeff batchelor
Im getting my car ready to paint. It has black lacqer on it now that is starting to crack. I was thinking of base coat clear coat,but my painter suggested a single stage catalised paint that can be buffed out being the car is black. Does anyone have thier car painted with a single stage non lacqer paint, and are you satisfied with it?

Also is ther a chemical striper that will not damage the primer sealer coat under the paint. The primer is a 2 part with hardener that was put on when the car was painted years ago.

Jeff
Jeff, I hope this goes well for you, and I am interested in seeing and hearing about the shop doing the work. Once I get the 427/435 back in my 67 coupe, the next step is the body and paint. I am interested in hearing about the shop and cost on yours. Good luck on it.

Rob Harper
Raleigh, NC

PS. Mr Womble, I may need some expert advice on a front clip. Any suggestions???
Old 12-09-2004, 02:34 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

I want to have my 59 painted Snowcrest White in a single stage urethane (for durability) applied to look as close as possible to lacquer (I hope to have it flight-judged some day). From the following site, which product would be the best to use for this purpose?:

http://autocolorlibrary.com/cmg/cmg.html

I will have a professional with a paint booth do the painting, so toxicity is not an issue (I'm not shooting this stuff myself in my garage, etc.).
Old 12-09-2004, 08:31 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Loren,
I think that PPG DCC ( Concept), is hands down the best single stage urethane out there. I love it, it is easy to shoot, buffs up to a beuatiful shine, and is a peice of cake to touch up.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 12-09-2004, 09:36 PM
jeff batchelor
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the coments. I'm leaning towards the single stage because I like the lacqer look..it looks richer than clear coats.

Ron I'm doing the striping and minor repairs myself to keep the cost down..the shop is going to prime block and shoot the paint for me,I will buff it out. I will keep you informed on how it turns out. Its going to take me awile to get this lacqer off.

Dave I have a piece of sandpaper with your name on it.
Jeff
Old 12-09-2004, 09:48 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Rob,

I tried to e-mail you three times today. Got a mailer deamon every time.

Call me.

Wayne
Old 12-10-2004, 12:43 AM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by John McGraw
Loren,
I think that PPG DCC ( Concept), is hands down the best single stage urethane out there. I love it, it is easy to shoot, buffs up to a beuatiful shine, and is a peice of cake to touch up.

Regards, John McGraw
I'm sold. Thanks, John.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:04 AM
orono64
Instructor

Get notified of new replies

To Base-clear or single stage

Quick Reply: Base-clear or single stage