C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Pilot bushing removal in my 60 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 03:41 PM
davids2toys
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pilot bushing removal in my 60 Vette

Can anyone tell me the shotcut to removing and installing the pilot bushing in the back of the crankshaft?
Old 12-29-2004, 04:58 PM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Is it stuck in the Crank? Or are you just wondering were the pilot bushing is and how to get at it.

If it is stuck, and the crank/engine is in the car, you could try to use a tap, and thread the bushing, and then put a bolt in it. Then use a puller and you imagination to grab the bolt and pull it out. I am not sure if you would want to try and heat it up. The Bushing is soft metal, copper or brass??? And should thread easily with a tap. I would bet once you started to tap it, it would start to spin and you could walk it out that way as well.

If you are asking how to get to the pilot bushing, it is in the rear center of the crankshaft. It is the interface that the input shaft of the transmission seats into. The input shaft of the transmission is tapered at the end to fit into the pilot bushing. So as you can imagine, the trans has to come out, along with the clutch and bell housing.

On second thought, if it is in good shape, leave it in there. You would want to check the inside dia. And compare it to a new one. Usually when they are worn out they are fairly loose in the crank and have a loose fit on the input shaft.

Mark
Old 12-29-2004, 05:20 PM
firemist1
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They make a special tool that grabs the inside of the pilot bushing and has a slide hammer to pull it out easily. I have also heard that you can fill the bore and back side of the bushing with grease then use a rod or bolt the diameter of the bore and hit it with a hammer (like using hydraulic pressure to push the bushing out from the back side).
Old 12-29-2004, 05:34 PM
hdvettes
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Run a 5/8 NC tap into the bushing. When it bottoms on the crank keep turning the tap. The bushing will come right out. Then tap in the new bushing using a piece of aluminum so as not to mar the bushing.

Mike
Old 12-29-2004, 06:27 PM
vark_wso
Drifting

Received 348 Likes on 242 Posts

Leave the new bushing in the freezer overnight & take out immediately before installation. It will shrink enough to drift in easily.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:47 PM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

The grease, bolt, hammer and hydraulically pushing out the bushing works. My motor builder Larry O'Neal in Lakeland Fl told me to do this and it works.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:34 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Be sure to wrap a shop towel or other rag around the bolt next to the end of the crank before you whack it with the hammer. Otherwise, you'll have a better than even chance of having grease all over your face and everything else within a 3' radius.

Might have been more fun for you to have found this out for yourself, but what the heck, it's Christmas season, so thought I'd tell you!!!

Old 12-30-2004, 05:37 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Grease works but can make a mess. Don't laugh but take paper towels and soak them in water then start stuffing them in the bear hole with a bolt or a cut off trans shaft. keep on banging the soaked towles in and it will come out. It works the same as the grease deal but without the mess.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:41 AM
tapio
Racer

Yep, paper towels work nicely. No mess at all.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:22 PM
acowboy
Instructor

tapping the bushing as stated above is as quick, and WAY cleaner!!!!!
Old 12-31-2004, 06:01 PM
tl-vette
Instructor

I got the slide hammer and removal tool from Autozone. they rent it to you for 20 bucks and then you return it and get your 20 bucks back. doesn't cost you a thing and it will pop that sucker out of there in a couple seconds.

Get notified of new replies

To Pilot bushing removal in my 60 Vette

Quick Reply: Pilot bushing removal in my 60 Vette