C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

steering box slack CI 60 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 10:31 AM
60corvetteman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering box slack CI 60 Corvette

I wanted to know if anyone has ever adjusted the the screw on the side of the steering box in order to take up some slack. if so how do you get to the screw because the inner fender well is in the way. it appears the body needs to be jacked up. I have all ready checked all drag links and tie rod ends all are ok. if there is a procerdures to do this can some let me please know. I DON;T HAVE A MANUAL OR BOOK YET.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:55 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Recommend you wait until you get the manual (ST-12). The adjustment is rather lengthy. You will need to disconnect the steering, and use a torque wrench and a "checking scale". It not only entails the adjustment of the "lash adjuster", but also the worm bearing adjustment.

As for getting to the adjuster, my 62 has a nice "cutout" in the inner fender well that aligns with the adjustment screw (don't know if that was "original" or if Bubba added it).

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 01-11-2005 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:20 PM
61iwon
Racer

Default Steering play

I have a '61 and had a lot of play. Checked everything underneath and couldn't find it. Recently replaced the motor. The steering arm that goes down from the box is not very visible with the engine in, it was loose as a goose. Much better now with no other changes. Check that, it's hard to see.

Dave
Old 01-11-2005, 01:29 PM
60corvetteman
Advanced

Default steering box 60 c1

plasticman thanks a lot for this information I will not do this job until I get the s12 to go by. I need this manul bad where can I order one at. Thanks again PS I had a 62 for about 8 years . now I have come across this old 60 and need to do some work on it.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:39 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

One source for excellant pubs is the NCRS (see link below). They are also very fast shipping!

http://www.ncrs.org/store/shop.cgi/p...105467637.3447

Most of the of the C1 vendors will also have it (Corvette Central, Paragon, etc.). Just make sure they have it in stock, before ordering (most of these guys will take your order, and then order it from someone else (to ship it to you). They are reducing thier "on hand" stock of just about everything (it is taking 3 months just to get inside door ***** from CC!).

Note that the ST-12 Corvette Sevicing Guide does not automatically cover everything. For instance, the later model C1 rear ends (your's included) are not covered. For that, I got the 62 Chev. Passenger car manual. There are several other areas that I found covered in the Passenger Car manual. I see that the NCRS has a 59-60 Passenger Car supplement, and you would probably need the 58 manual as well. Perhaps someone else with a 60 can tell you further.

The 60 body style is my all time favorite, but I sure would not want to spend all day polishing those grill teeth! Have fun!

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 01-11-2005 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:01 PM
andy60
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

60corvetteman,

I have one I will send you free, it is not the best, used well but you can not beat the price. Email me and I will send it.

Andy awilco@hotmail.com
Old 01-11-2005, 02:45 PM
JWD01
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Plasticman
As for getting to the adjuster, my 62 has a nice "cutout" in the inner fender well that aligns with the adjustment screw (don't know if that was "original" or if Bubba added it).

Plasticman
Sounds like Bubba did a little work prior to your purchase of the car.

Get notified of new replies

To steering box slack CI 60 Corvette

Quick Reply: steering box slack CI 60 Corvette