C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Any one ever heard of my6 4 speed overdrive

Old 05-09-2005, 11:43 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Cruz59,

I have 2 problems in making a duplicate (at this time).

1. I have not completed this one yet, so have no basis on if it "works".

2. I am in the process of moving from Illinois to Florida, and packing up many, many years of "stuff", going to doctors (for records and final visits), getting mover estimates, etc. eats into my time!

And since I am moving into a rental home (so my equipment is going into long term storage), while our new home is being built (not even started yet), I don't know when I can finish the project!

Sorry to have to turn you down, but just don't have the time!

Plasticman
Old 05-10-2005, 02:01 AM
Cruz59
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I fully understand!
Now I also understand more clearly the intensions of the various parts of the brackets.

I can of course make my own, just have to plan for it, when I do the gear box change... Probably not before this winter anyway.
Hate to put the car on jack stands in the driving season...

Thanks a lot for the good pictures and info, appreciate it!

I hope that everything turns out OK with moving and getting your new house ready!

/Cruz59
Old 01-01-2016, 08:49 PM
Troy Dodge
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimdvan
What part number or description would I use to search out this transmission?
The gm version of the np 833 was coded out as the new process 440, given it had a few beefed up parts. Input shaft had larger more defined splines instead of the regular 20+ splines it came with a 10 spline design for pickups.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:28 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Dodge
The gm version of the np 833 was coded out as the new process 440, given it had a few beefed up parts. Input shaft had larger more defined splines instead of the regular 20+ splines it came with a 10 spline design for pickups.
You are replying to a +10 year old post / thread!

I still have my MY6 (since 2006) in the 62, and have a spare I rebuilt a few years ago. Getting some parts for the rebuild (in my case a main shaft) was almost next to impossible then, but did find one eventually.

It is a great "cruising" alternative to the 5 speed trans that are on the market, since they can be installed without yanking the engine (essentially the same length as a Muncie), and the driveshaft does not need to be shortened. But it is not a slick shifting trans like a Muncie (too much gear spread between the gears).

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 01-03-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:05 AM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 776 Likes on 532 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I know this is an old thread, but I have the truck bellhousing if anyone needs it. cheap !
Old 02-16-2016, 10:16 AM
dirt.boy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Plasticman

As for adjusting the speedo gears, looks like standard Turbo 400 gears work (including the gear adapter).

Thanks,
Plasticman
Does anyone have more info on the speedo gears for this trans? I believe I have verified that the housing and driven gears are the same as the TH400. I have a trans with a drive gear (worm gear on the tailshaft) that is spun. Looking for info on a new gear and the retainer clip.

Any help would be appreciated!

Greg

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any one ever heard of my6 4 speed overdrive