Notices
C1 & C2 Parts C1 & C2 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket

FS: Free 1955 (and 56) Corvette Engine Parts - Restrictions Apply

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 09:41 PM
128racecar
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Free 1955 (and 56) Corvette Engine Parts - Restrictions Apply

So first the story- my late father was an avid Corvette enthusiast, owning over 100 Corvettes in his lifetime, with as many as 30 at a single time. In the early 70s, he had one from every year from 1953 to 1972. He even had a mail order Corvette accessory/performance business called Hypo Inc, then later Action Performance. Part of this business was a retail speed shop, where they did all lot of installation of customer parts and engine swaps.

In 1970, I was 12 years old. I helped at the shop, running parts for orders and filling boxes for shipment. One weekend I watched as my dad and his employees pulled the motor from his 1955 Corvette, and install a 327 with an Edelbrock manifold and Hedman headers. The next week was my birthday. There was a package from my dad. Inside it were two books on common hand tools and how to use them, and there was also a piece of paper that said "Look in the shop". I went with my dad to the shop, where he pulled off an old blanket, revealing the 1955 Corvette engine on an engine stand. It was mine to take apart to learn how engines went together. I had done some minor mechanical work on my Honda 90, but nothing like this. I took the motor apart, and had big plans to build a hot rod some day, but the parts languished in the corner of the shop, until...

I found them last week. Don't get your hopes up- the block and one of the heads are long gone, and what's left is rusty, with a good dose of spider webs and mouse nests. I know that these parts are not totally unique to the 55 Corvette, but also used the the passenger cars as well. Still, if the casting date codes would fit someone's specific car, all the better. There's also a 56 intake manifold as well. So I thought I would offer them up here, with some restrictions:
1. No shipping. I am 10-15 minutes from where Bloomington Gold and the Indy 500 will be held, so you have to come get them. Maybe if you butter me up, and say I can sit in your Corvette at BG, rowing the shifter back and forth while making engine noises with my mouth, maybe I will bring them to BG. If you need them shipped, you'll need to have a buddy pick them up for you and do the shipping.
2. No bitching about the condition. It's all pretty rough. As my late father would say, you get what you pay for.
3. I will arbitrarily decide who gets what. Maybe one guy gets it all. Maybe I will divide it up among several folks. I will give preference to someone who actually owns a 55 Corvette, rather than someone who is just grabbing them to resell. Be polite. If I feel someone is being pushy, or I simply don't like your attitude, I'll just toss them in the trash can.

So here is the stuff/junk:

I'm not sure if the remote oil filter cannister is part of all this stuff, but it was in the same parts pile.

PM me if interested. Like I said, no shipping, but if you are nice and post a picture of your 55 (or 56) here, I may actually bring it to the Speedway for Bloomington Gold.

Thanks,
Marc in Indy
57 Corvette 283/245 4 speed, one family owned since the 60s (STILL FOR SALE)
72 Corvette Coupe base 350, auto, AC survivor
Old 05-22-2017, 02:31 AM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Nice for anyone to offer parts free weather there good or not just had to replay to you >I dont need any original parts ,have many extra .But Thanks
The following users liked this post:
128racecar (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 01:52 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

That oil filter setup was a 55 only piece, and...it was an option on passenger cars! 56 had the canister filter on all v8s.
The following users liked this post:
128racecar (05-22-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 12:04 PM
128racecar
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 51 Posts

Parts gone to a good home (local guy doing a 55 Chevy restoration).

He wanted to pay me, so I worked it out where I get a ride in his car when done (it will probably be a few years).

Marc in Indy

Last edited by 128racecar; 05-29-2017 at 12:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Free 1955 (and 56) Corvette Engine Parts - Restrictions Apply

Quick Reply: FS: Free 1955 (and 56) Corvette Engine Parts - Restrictions Apply