Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Corvette is totaled...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 10:48 AM
kevinator80
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your car. It is a sshiitty situation to be in, I know because I am going through the same thing right now(see my pics). My car had a reconstructed title because it was a theft recovery and the interior had been stripped. The idiot's co. has offered $7040 and I keep the car (I only want the new engine back). Their first offer was an insulting $4096. I am trying to get them to split the low retail and average retail from nada which would be $10,591. I think I am being reasonable and still taking a hit because of the sal. title. REMEMBER AND REMIND THEM OFTEN! you were not at fault and only want a fair shake. I gotta go before I get on a rant. Good luck!
Old 03-18-2005, 10:51 AM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

good luck.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:30 PM
StudDawg380
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. I was out of town, so I haven't been able to check them till now. I have a couple pics (after the wreck):

(There's a speck on the lens of the camera...you might see it. Don't pay attention to it, haha.)

Granted it is NOT in the best condition, the fenders are flared, there is some rust underneath, mostly around the radiator and stuff...but it's complete and it runs. Numbers match, though some mods have been done to the engine. Etc...I just think it's worth more than $7000. We won't get back what we put into it with that.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:51 PM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Sorry for your loss...

Not to sound like a vulture, but...if you're going to part it out, I'll take those headers/sidepipes off your hands!

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Old 03-20-2005, 11:07 PM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

I dont understand why the insurance company would total the car for that. The only damage is to the door and fender flare right?
Old 03-20-2005, 11:10 PM
glen242
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, somebody who KNOWS, walk me through this. I have an agreed value on my 'vette, my insurance, of $15,000. Dumb s**t hits me and totals the car. Their insurance company says $9,000 is what it is worth and that is what they will pay. I get on my insurance company concerning the $6,000 difference. Will my insurance company go after the other insurance for the difference? If the other insurance company holds on $9,000, will my insurance make up the difference?

StudDawg380: Since it is your insurance company giving you the bad time, I guess you didn't have an agreed value policy. There may be nothing you can do, legally.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:09 AM
StudDawg380
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 74FLCONV
Sorry for your loss...

Not to sound like a vulture, but...if you're going to part it out, I'll take those headers/sidepipes off your hands!

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Haha, I'd be more than willing to, but I don't know if I'll even see the thing ever again!

Originally Posted by lostpatrolman
I dont understand why the insurance company would total the car for that. The only damage is to the door and fender flare right?
It looks like it...but there is also some damage to the rear axle, suspension, and even the front suspension was at least thrown out of alignment from the rotation I got put through. So...I'm also wondering what they were planning on repairing/replacing, but I think I'll find that out in a little while. (I know, I can't believe it would cost that much to fix...I didn't ask for a frame-off restoration. That'd be nice though...)

Originally Posted by glen242
StudDawg380: Since it is your insurance company giving you the bad time, I guess you didn't have an agreed value policy. There may be nothing you can do, legally.
Possibly, but what I don't get is if the old lady's insurance company is going to be paying anyway...you'd think that MY insurance company would try to milk it for all it's worth. It doesn't sound like that's what they're doing. Hmm...but just from the pictures, what do you think of the appraisal? Also note - they had originally promised me somewhere around $10,000.

Last edited by StudDawg380; 03-21-2005 at 01:16 AM.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:10 AM
StudDawg380
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 74FLCONV
Haha, I'd be more than willing to, but I don't know if I'll even see the thing ever again!

It looks like it...but there is also some damage to the rear axle, suspension, and even the front suspension from the rotation I got put through. So...I'm also wondering what they were planning on repairing/replacing, but I think I'll find that out in a little while.

Originally Posted by glen242
Possibly, but what I don't get is if the old lady's insurance company is going to be paying anyway...you'd think that MY insurance company would try to milk it for all it's worth. It doesn't sound like that's what they're doing. Hmm...but just from the pictures, what do you think of the appraisal?
Old 03-21-2005, 02:14 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That doesn't look like a totalled car..or at least nothing that can't be fixed, the trailing arm is shot but the stock arms are weaks so most likely the frame is intact, then you need a new strut rod and possibly a halfshaft and some other stuff, the rest looks mostly fiberglass work, a new doorskin and a new flare and you're in business. It could be fixed pretty easily, buy it back and fix it..you could even make some money off it which will pay for a nice paintjob. Nice wheels BTW.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:03 AM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Out of curiosity, how fast was the lady going when she hit you?
Old 03-21-2005, 11:10 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Very sorry for your loss.

By all means, push to get the maximum that you are due. A 'fair' condition '72 Corvette, repaired and driveable should demand at minimum $10K.

I assume the old lady's insurance company is settling the claim. I'd definitely get comparable values of 68-72 vettes in your area and fight them on it.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:32 PM
StudDawg380
Intermediate

Out of curiosity, how fast was the lady going when she hit you?
Not very fast. She had come from a stop across two lanes before hitting me...25 mph maybe?
Old 03-21-2005, 07:49 PM
carl a
Safety Car

let them total it and keep the car and fix it, it doesnt even look totaled! i cant stress how important it is to get these cars appraised and take the appraisel to a good insurance co like haggerty and get a stated value policy- im paying 250 a year and my 73's insured for 32,000 NO DEDUCTABLES---dont wait till the cars wrecked to learn or your gonna get screwed-and where are they getting the 7,000 figure from ? show them a pricing guide ...any 72 is worth twice that(to say the least)

Last edited by carl a; 03-21-2005 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:57 PM
2TONE82
Melting Slicks

Received 310 Likes on 133 Posts

Studdawg...glad you are OK, I agree with everyone else, play hard ball (be nice as long as they are) with the insurance guys and keep records of everything - including the names of everyone you speak with.

glen242...I too have agreed upon value but your comment makes me want to pull the policy out for a review...I pay right at $101 for $15K worth with zero deductables...just renewed it as a matter of fact.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:03 PM
kevinator80
Drifting

Originally Posted by carl a
let them total it and keep the car and fix it, it doesnt even look totaled! i cant stress how important it is to get these cars appraised and take the appraisel to a good insurance co like haggerty and get a stated value policy- im paying 250 a year and my 73's insured for 32,000 NO DEDUCTABLES---dont wait till the cars wrecked to learn or your gonna get screwed-and where are they getting the 7,000 figure from ? show them a pricing guide ...any 72 is worth twice that(to say the least)

I could not agree more since hind sight is 20/20. The adjuster has not contacted me since I sent him my final offer. I got news for him though, my attorney will be in touch and I found out ambitious adjusters don't like complaints to the State Ins. Comm. office or people who won't go away. Do not give up.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:16 PM
BUGGSY1970
Racer

Who are you working with? Is it your insurance on a collision claim or the old lady's insurance co?

I would do some homework get Pro Team's or Mecum's website and pick out some comparable cars, do the same with ads on this website and others like vettefinders. Tell the insurance co that their offer is insufficent and if they want to replace the car here are some candidates.

Do not roll over for the insurance company no matter whose company it is. Remember they know less about Corvettes than you or anyone on this forum. That was not a 33 year old used car it was a collectible classic.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:30 PM
BUGGSY1970
Racer

If you have an agreed value policy then your insurance co has the option to pay you the agreed value and total it or repair it. What the other insurance company pays is their problem not yours. If the other party had no insurance they woulkd still have to pay you the agreed value in case of a total.

Have your agent or your insurance claim adjuster explain to you what "agreed value" means. It is my assumption that when the policy is written the premiums and the like are set based upon what was agreed as a value. What gives them the right now that there is a claim to screw with that agreement.

It like buying a $1million dollar life insurance policy and then when you die the insurance company says hell he was only worth $300K here is your check. No way. If they persist get a lawyer to look at the policy. Who is this insurance company? We on this forum need to know.

Get notified of new replies

To My Corvette is totaled...

Old 03-21-2005, 08:54 PM
bob_robert
Intermediate

Studdawg.

Sorry to see your "Baby" in that condition. I have a 78 that I bought 2 years ago that has the same wheel rims as yours. I've been trying to find out what brand they are. Wonder if you might know.

Thanks and hope things work out for you
Old 03-21-2005, 09:32 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Ask me (IM) how I got paid 31K for a 1977 coupe.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:34 PM
dsagers
Pro

Laws vary from state to state, but in Utah we have to pay sales tax when we register a car as a new owner. Insurance companies often forget to include the sales tax on a totaled car.

Make your best deal with the insurance, then after the amount is settled, remind them of the sales tax.

I know there are insurance guys on the board, and to clarify, I'm not trying to advise anyone to negotiate in bad faith. But sales tax is not negotiable with the state, and any settlement has to be made based on the loss, plus the sales tax.

Quick Reply: My Corvette is totaled...