Sponsored by:

Introductions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 04:09 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Introductions.

Hello everyone, just thought I would introduce myself to the forum. I live in Brampton, Ontario, and I finally decided, this is the year to get my 75 Vette back on the raod. Keep this between you and me but my wife has also been telling for years that I should either get that car in the garage on the road or sell it, since it's a shame to have it just sitting there. Well them's fighting words especially since I'm the original owner and there are to many memories to part with. I recently ordered a bunch of small part from Ecklers but what I should really do first is see if it starts ( haven't cranked her over in about 5 years and has been parked for about 15 years. I placed oil down the carb and in the plugs about 5 years ago, and was wondering if anyone has some advice as to what prep work I should do before I try to start it up? I have been following this forum for about a months and have finally decided to joint since I've decided that this car will stay with me for life and I admire the amount of effect and knowledge you all have. Wish me luck.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:13 PM
grybdn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome,

change your oil, check your other fluids. make sure there aren't any animals nesting in there.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:16 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Cool. I'll let others advise to prepping for start.
I'd be concerned that any gas is that old.
Tough to drain a 75 tank - maybe siphon.
I admire your commitment. Hopefully your wife is OK that she was the second.
Not sure my vette will live forever, but it should outlast me.
I've already told my two boys that they can have the vette ... when I'm dead.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:17 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Welcome to the forum and check out the Canadian section.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97
Old 03-16-2005, 04:18 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You put OIL down the carb?
Old 03-16-2005, 04:25 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

I'm surprised with the quick reply, there must be alot of members here.
grybdn..... no animals hiding......check!
NHVette.......wife said she would help me anyway she can....she's just happy it will hopefully no longer be a large rock sitting in the garage... but she finally admited she will get the chance to drive it....check!
AGVT....Thanks for the link.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:27 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Oil down the carb about 5 years ago SDP.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:28 PM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Welcome
Old 03-16-2005, 04:47 PM
kona
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howdy!

Kona
Old 03-16-2005, 04:47 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Welcome aboard!!
Clean the battery terminals. Starter & ground connections included.
I would pre oil the engine with fresh oil by pulling the disrtibutor and using a drill opperated pre-oiler.
Drain gas from tank & carb. Install fresh.
Drain block & radiator & replace coolant.
Visually check all wirering belts & hoses for rot.
LET ER RIP!!!
Eddie
Old 03-16-2005, 04:54 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Hi Kona and thanks Eddie, I think this is gonna be more involved than I anticipated, since I just realized all my gaskets, eg. oil pan, valve cover, transmision etc. have all dried up. As for the gas tank I put in a full tank 15 years ago.
Well I'm in this for the long haul, so I better get to work, but first I'm gonna make a list of things to do, since I may........rather......I will have to order some more parts............Jeeeeese.... is that how you spell it?
Old 03-16-2005, 04:55 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Sorry.........Hi Van Steel!
Old 03-16-2005, 05:07 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr
Hi Kona and thanks Eddie, I think this is gonna be more involved than I anticipated, since I just realized all my gaskets, eg. oil pan, valve cover, transmision etc. have all dried up. As for the gas tank I put in a full tank 15 years ago.
Well I'm in this for the long haul, so I better get to work, but first I'm gonna make a list of things to do, since I may........rather......I will have to order some more parts............Jeeeeese.... is that how you spell it?
Drain/suck out old gas.Replace all fuel hoses,filter. Drain oil,change filter,add one qt risoline,four qts new oil,run engine,drain oil,add fresh oil/filter.
This is just the begining,by the way.
Maybe there will be lots of smoke,especially after dumping oil down the carb.....but,you will find out soon enough.Then the fun begins.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:08 PM
carhound
Instructor

I too pour oil down the carb if I am going to let it set for a while. The way I do it, is start the engine, let it warm up, pour oil down the carb while the motor is running, and let it start smoking good, and then turn the engine off. My dad, which was a mechanic, always did this. He kept a 30some model chev. snubnose truck, that his dad owned like that for years and years and the engine never stuck and it always started with very little trouble. To put enough oil down the carb to let it start smoking real good, puts a thin coat of oil on everything. Good or bad, it always worked for us.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:52 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the forum. You'll find out more than you ever wanted to know about Vettes here. I guess if I were going to start your car I would first put a little oil in each cylinder through the spark plug holes and make sure the engine turns by hand. You might try to roll the car a bit also since the brakes and especially the e-brake hardware is probably siezed up. Look very carefully for frayed or chewed wires before connecting the battery - mice get into the darndest places.

If you have a multimeter, check for current drain as you hook up the battery for the first time. If there are any short circuits you want to find out before the smoke rises.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Rick B.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:41 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Pull the spark plugs and shoot some oil into each cylinder. Crank by hand via the alternator bracket (plugs out) until the crank makes several passes. Go down to Canadian Tire and get some Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO). Put remainder of MMO in gas tank. Put some (a little) down the carb and let everything sit for several days. Buy a new battery and install. After a week or so fire up. It will smoke up the neighbourhood but settle down in about 15 minutes.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:26 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

do you have the ability and aptitude to pull the distributor and prime the oil pump with fresh oil of course? i would also want to rotate that engine by hand many times also with the plugs out and after letting a good penetrating oil like MMO soak in them for a while.... you may even have valves that are stuck in place i would pull the valve covers to make sure valves are operating properly and not stuck....and you know your brakes are history.....good luck this is going to be fun, work but fun...

Get notified of new replies

To Introductions.

Old 03-17-2005, 01:57 AM
LOTAHP
Le Mans Master

Welcome It's LOTA fun 'round here .
Old 03-17-2005, 01:58 AM
vette rod
Instructor

Welcome
Old 03-17-2005, 10:17 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

This is the reason I became a member, all the great responses. I would hold off on the "this is going to be fun, work but fun..." statement bobs77vet, gonna have to think about that one. I'm gonna remove the valve covers and oil pan, replace those gaskets, then go the route of priming the oil pump via the distributor, oil down the carb, cylinders, and empty the gas tank. Oh and rotate the engine by hand several times. New battery is a must after 15 years....ching ching......I can see this is adding up already....I know I know...don't look back, think of the end result......lol. LOTAHP and vette rod...I think I may be joining you in one of those drinks your toasting alittle sooner than I thought.

Quick Reply: Introductions.