Stolen Steering Column Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 11:19 PM
stingry
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Default Stolen Steering Column Update

For those following my little disaster with my Steering Column being stolen. Here is the latest:

UPS paid up the insurance money and the shipping cost. I ended up getting back $527 for my $900 column. That was my own fault for insuring it too cheap ($500)

Here is what UPS does with Insurance claims so YOU know ahead of time. They will pay the LOWEST of:

1. Insured value, 2. Original Purchase Price or 3. Replacement Value
There is no clause in there for items being of more worth then in 1. or 2.
(A new column was $900)

UPS will also leave items on peoples doorsteps if the value is less then $999 UNLESS you pay for Signature Confirmation. So if you insure it pay the extra $2 and get Signature Confirmation.

I have a bought a quality rebuilt column now. Will install it on Wednesday.

If anyone hears of a rebuilt Black T/T Column being sold in the Tennessee area please let me know as I am want to know where mine ended up.

Thanks to the many people on the Forum for their words of encouragement.

I guess I will stop ranting now. I can drive the Vette again.

Pete
Old 03-28-2005, 11:23 PM
kona
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Live and learn. UPS once left a $10,000 video camera on the front steps of my office on a Friday afternoon late. Luckily I live in a small town and it was still there on Monday.
Good luck on the install.

Kona
Old 04-02-2005, 02:04 AM
c3 in hawaii
Pro

Originally Posted by stingry
For those following my little disaster with my Steering Column being stolen. Here is the latest:

UPS paid up the insurance money and the shipping cost. I ended up getting back $527 for my $900 column. That was my own fault for insuring it too cheap ($500)

Here is what UPS does with Insurance claims so YOU know ahead of time. They will pay the LOWEST of:

1. Insured value, 2. Original Purchase Price or 3. Replacement Value
There is no clause in there for items being of more worth then in 1. or 2.
(A new column was $900)

UPS will also leave items on peoples doorsteps if the value is less then $999 UNLESS you pay for Signature Confirmation. So if you insure it pay the extra $2 and get Signature Confirmation.

I have a bought a quality rebuilt column now. Will install it on Wednesday.

If anyone hears of a rebuilt Black T/T Column being sold in the Tennessee area please let me know as I am want to know where mine ended up.

Thanks to the many people on the Forum for their words of encouragement.

I guess I will stop ranting now. I can drive the Vette again.

Pete
I just ran across this on ebay and remember you had yours stolen...a great distance from you ...but you never know...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=34206
Old 04-02-2005, 09:05 AM
R1234
Melting Slicks

Pete,
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Thanks for the info.
Bryan
Old 04-02-2005, 10:07 AM
stingry
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Bryan,

Yeh, it was a pain but the good news is I have a great column and its installed now. The new one is even better then the old.

I hope my little expensive lesson helps other people out.

Pete
Old 04-02-2005, 10:12 AM
stingry
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by c3 in hawaii
I just ran across this on ebay and remember you had yours stolen...a great distance from you ...but you never know...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=34206
C3,

Thanks for looking.

Mine was actually a 69-74 Column. I have a search set up for a lot of sites selling it.

I will find who has it. Then I get to tell UPS and the cops who has it. That will be the fun part!

Pete
Old 04-02-2005, 10:28 AM
tzeller
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Thanks for the info. I guess that I learned a valuable lesson from your experiance. Glad that you finally have it resolved.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:59 PM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by stingry

Pete

The person that told you that needs to read the terms and conditions on http://www.ups.com

The driver is responsible for the package unless you or the shipper signed a release form.

SHIPPER Release
A shipper may request that UPS release a package on the first delivery attempt. Shipper Release will be provided by UPS subject to the effective UPS Terms and Conditions of Service. When Shipper Release is selected, the shipper acknowledges and agrees that UPS will make only one delivery attempt, that a signature will not be obtained upon delivery, and that UPS delivery record showing a completed Shipper Release delivery shall be conclusive proof that delivery was completed. Shipper Release is provided solely at the shippers risk of loss or damage arising from the release of the package by UPS, and UPS will not be liable to shippers or third parties for any damages arising from the release of the package. Shipper
Release is not available for packages having a value of more than $999.00 (US).

Deliveries Attempted Three Times without Extra Charge

If UPS is unable to complete delivery of a package, a notice will be left at the consignee's address stating that delivery has been attempted. Thereafter, a second and, if necessary, a third attempt to deliver the package will be made without additional charge.

****The SHIPPER can pay for these exra services****

Delivery Conformation Signature Required.
A shipper may request UPS to obtain the recipient's signature and to include it on the Delivery Confirmation response. In such a case, an additional charge, set forth in the UPS Rates applicable to the shipment in effect at the time of shipping, will be assessd.

A shipper would only ask for this service if they only want the package to be released to the person whose name is on the package.

***Delivery Confirmation Adult Signature Required**

Package won't be released unless person is 21 years of age or older.

*******Proof of Delivery********

UPS will provide proof of delivery of a shipment via facsimile transmission or mail.

I bet you if you go to http://www.ups.com and track your package, you'll see the driver left the package on the first delivery attempt, with no signature and it will say he left it on the porch.

As stated above, they are supposed to make 3 delivery attemps. After each attempt they should leave a form/sticker stating they tried to make a delivery attempt and if you sign the form, they will either leave the package the next time or you can ask them to hold the package at the UPS distribution facility where you pick up the package.

Last edited by Hooked on Vettes; 04-02-2005 at 09:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Stolen Steering Column Update

Quick Reply: Stolen Steering Column Update