C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have a historic vehical plate on your 'vette?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 04:08 PM
NJAnthony
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by page62
Having once lived in your corner of the world, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Let's face it, Kentucky cops aren't exactly uptight compared to other parts of the country...

And the opportunity to avoid paying property tax on a vehicle? Priceless

BTW: I once had a deputy sheriff follow me for a few miles along a backroad. I think he was calling in my possibly unusual-looking (to him) antique plates to check...never pulled me over.
Very true. I actually see a lot of older restored cars here driving around during the summer with historic tags. I actually have a friend who is a cop here in Louisville, and asked him about it. He said he has never and has never heard of one of his friends pulling someone over with historic tags unless they were doing something illegal, i.e. speeding. He actually thought I was kind of weird for asking As long as they are good tags, he doesn't care what they say on them.

He did say that someone once stole a car's historic tags and put them on their '94 Integra. Smart.

Anthony
Old 03-31-2005, 04:26 PM
JJ Deuce
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by page62
BTW: I once had a deputy sheriff follow me for a few miles along a backroad. I think he was calling in my possibly unusual-looking (to him) antique plates to check...never pulled me over.
He was probably concerned that you were one of them illegal Canadian Aliens over here taking our jobs...
Old 03-31-2005, 04:33 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go fishin' boy. You've sniffing concrete dust for too long...
Old 03-31-2005, 05:33 PM
BlueL36
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by JB
Gee, and I thought I was the only English teacher on this forum. Haven't you heard, "h" is a vowel, now. I think the senate passed a law. It took 'em an hour to do it.

JB
Using "a" instead of "an" in front of "historic" is an honest mistake.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:24 PM
timrb73coupe
Advanced

got'em ... just cause i could ... yep there are restictions ...but i don't pay much attention to restrictions ... other than the ones my wife puts on me ...
Old 03-31-2005, 06:47 PM
jdmick
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't get it. Why don't you say "I took an history class" then. How did the "h" only become silent now when you say "historic". Did I have a bad teacher or what?
Old 03-31-2005, 06:58 PM
corvtt1969
Pro

virginia is the same way, 25+ years(i think, mines a 69 so it was safe to say i didnt have to worry about that) car shows, getting work done the usual, i drive mine as much as i can because of times like now when its not operable cause i have it in a 100 pieces. itll be off the road for a month or so and i make up for my "missed weekends" by driving it when i can. granted i only drive it when its nice. never have a problem and driving thru fairfax city(if any of you know it) isnt the most police friendly place to drive a car. basically its up to you how much you wanna drive it, if it bothers you dont drive it, if it doesnt go ahead and enjoy your beauty on wheels.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:08 PM
zaphodbebullbrox
Instructor

Default yes

i have had historical tag in ky for years, there is no mileage restrictions.
i have never been pulled over for driving it all the time. the only time i was being harrased was when i was using an antique plate from 69 on my 69 coupe deville. this is legal in ky but after being pulled over three times in a year (no charges just checking insurance and registation) i decided to put the historic plate back on and put the antique plate on the front.

i have historic tags on my 69 pick-up but have vanity tags on my vette.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:15 PM
thomar2k1
Heel & Toe

I just finished doing a historic registration in Michigan. I'm using an authentic 1973 tag on my 1974 (the 1973 tag is good for '73-'75), and have a lifetime registration for $35.

There are the standard limits - not for regular driving - but "touring" is ok. So I'm always "touring".
Old 03-31-2005, 07:32 PM
2th farmer
Melting Slicks

CI 6-8-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by AnthonyfromKY
While talking to the county clerk, they asked me if I am going to use the vette I may purchase as a mode of general transportation. Having this plate makes the car a whole lot cheaper to own, less taxes on purchase, by almost $450, and tax breaks every year.

However, what is considered general transportation. I have a truck that is my primary driver. I use it day and and day out, and that is the way I continue to stay. I plan on taking this car out for corvette meets, the corvette show in Bowling Green, and just on fun sunday drives here and there when I have a need to run to the store or something. I am buying this car as a second car, a car to clean up, work with, and be proud of when I bring it around others, no other reason.

So... does anyone have a historic plate on their car? I qualify, and all it says on the Kentucky page is...

Who is eligible:
Any person who owns a vehicle that is (25) twenty-five years old or older which is used primarily for exhibition in shows, parades ,tours and other special uses but not for general transportation.

Nothing about miles or anything like that.

So, what do you think?

Anthony
Thanks for the info. I am heading to our clerks office in the am. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:42 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I have Pennsylvania Classic Car Plates. $75.00 one time fee, No emissions inspection, and only $150.00 for insurance from State Farm.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:28 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

two all youz commentin on spellin & gramma - life iz more important than that.

Pleaz leave teh college campuss and diskovr the real world.

-GEEEEESHHHH-

Old 03-31-2005, 09:07 PM
fjetb
Racer

No big deal, Mike...actually...it's kind of interesting...the English language is full of contradictions...kind of like Corvettes....but, jdmick...you didn't have a bad teacher...just the difference between formal and informal English...both of which are correct in their own circumstances...here's the answer to your question as to why "I took a history" class is right...and "an historic tag" is also right...The difference between the indefinite 'a' and 'an' and the generic 'a' and 'an' is that the former means any one member of a class while the latter means all of the members of a class. In this case...you took one course...a history class...while there are many...an historic license plate out there...
Old 04-01-2005, 02:33 AM
Slink
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Z-man
I've had mine for 10 years. There is no restriction on driving with them here in CO because that would discriminate against illegal aliens.
Aint that the truth...
Old 04-01-2005, 06:13 AM
guppie
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Got'em on mine. Ohio is good for 50 years so I'll have to renew when I'm 106
Old 04-01-2005, 06:30 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Antique plates here. Low insurance ($100/yr) but limited use similar to what's been stated. No inspection fees and one time registration fee.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:40 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor

Sounds like several of the states actually have a completely different tag that says something like "Antique Vehicle" on it. If Texas did that, I might well have stuck with my RED RAT vanity tag, even at the cost differential. Sounds like an ugly thing to do to your Vette, IMHO. In Texas, you get to use actual plates from the model year of your car, which is darned cool, methinks.

Re: the "Pleaz leave teh college campuss and diskovr the real world" comment--I like the college campus. They pay me well to try to bring folks like you out of the trailer parks and into the world of rational thought.

JB (who has lived in many a trailer park, too, and who REALLY did understand that you were joking )

Last edited by JB; 04-01-2005 at 08:47 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Do you have a historic vehical plate on your 'vette?

Old 04-01-2005, 08:45 AM
NJAnthony
Racer

Originally Posted by JB
Sounds like several of the states actually have a completely different tag that says something like "Antique Vehicle" on it. If Texas did that, I might well have stuck with my RED RAT vanity tag, even at the cost differential. Sounds like an ugly thing to do to your Vette, IMHO. In Texas, you get to use actual plates from the model year of your car, which is darned cool, methinks.

Re: the "Pleaz leave teh college campuss and diskovr the real world" comment--I like the college campus. They pay me well to try to bring folks like you out of the trailer parks and into the world of rational thought.

JB (who has lived in many a trailer park, too)
Yes the KY plate is ugly for historical cars... BUT... green matches yellow, and the savings that I can put back into the car are well worth it. Taxes, insurance, registration, everything!

http://kvis-kytc.state.ky.us/KyRenew...ic.jpg&TYP=JPG
Old 04-01-2005, 08:50 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JB
Actually, Texas has an antique plate for those unfortunate enough not to find year-of-manufacture plates. And it's not the finest looking thing, either:

But you may not know that in KY, you pay PROPERTY TAX on a registered vehicle, based on its Blue Book value. (It sux, big time!) Antique vehicles are exempt -- a very compelling reason to get the plates, even if they're totally fugly.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:19 AM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I have an original 1972 plate on my Vette that was purchased from someone in North Houston who specializes in antique Texas plates and reproduction inspection stickers form the 60's and 70's. My Vette is driven at least once a week, I have no front license plate (Texas law requires one), and the "tab" that is supposed to be on the rear plate is in the rear compartment. I've never been asked or bothered about it.

Oh, and by the way, I'm still trying to find a front license plate bracket and the type of bolt needed to attach the "tab".

Quick Reply: Do you have a historic vehical plate on your 'vette?