C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have a historic vehical plate on your 'vette?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 12:18 PM
NJAnthony
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do you have a historic vehical plate on your 'vette?

While talking to the county clerk, they asked me if I am going to use the vette I may purchase as a mode of general transportation. Having this plate makes the car a whole lot cheaper to own, less taxes on purchase, by almost $450, and tax breaks every year.

However, what is considered general transportation. I have a truck that is my primary driver. I use it day and and day out, and that is the way I continue to stay. I plan on taking this car out for corvette meets, the corvette show in Bowling Green, and just on fun sunday drives here and there when I have a need to run to the store or something. I am buying this car as a second car, a car to clean up, work with, and be proud of when I bring it around others, no other reason.

So... does anyone have a historic plate on their car? I qualify, and all it says on the Kentucky page is...

Who is eligible:
Any person who owns a vehicle that is (25) twenty-five years old or older which is used primarily for exhibition in shows, parades ,tours and other special uses but not for general transportation.

Nothing about miles or anything like that.

So, what do you think?

Anthony
Old 03-31-2005, 12:20 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 387 Likes on 235 Posts

I have an original from thre 68-69 year but Louisiana has a HOLD on all traditional liscense playes at this time so I can't use it.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:38 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

What do you think the chances of actually being questioned about it are? Cops aren't physchic, they aren't going to pull you over because of your plates, because they know you'll have 20+ excuses at your command for driving it. As long as you aren't breaking the law in it you'll be fine.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:47 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

I agree with Kalway. The rules in Texas for historical plates are pretty much the same, and I have yet to be hassled while pleasure cruising (though I rarely take my car out more than once a week or so), and I know several guys who have had the classic plates for a while and have never had a problem. And that's with gung-ho Texas DPS troopers running around here pulling people over for dumb shiz like having a U. of Texas "horns" sticker in the little open space in the middle of their license plates.

JB
Old 03-31-2005, 12:50 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

no driving it to work is allowed - even for just one day a year (unless you can prove there was an "employee car show" going on :wink: ).

What do you think the chances of actually being questioned about it are?
slim. But when your time comes... the resulting hassle may make you wish you had never "stretched" it.

Not everyone is up to taking risks. More-power to those that do, and an understanding to those that wish not to.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:58 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I have historic plates in New Jersey. The benefits are huge: no inspection, no front plate required, 3 yr registration.... Collector insurance is also a plus if you qualify. Personally, I think as long as you are not commuting you should be ok. I see a car with collector plates parked next to the elementary school. I am sure it is a teacher driving the car to school. You also see quite a few collector plates at the dragstrip, which is a big no-no.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:58 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

My solution to even getting questioned about it is being armed with a believable excuse. The best is usually that you're driving it to the shop.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:20 PM
jdmick
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyfromKY
does anyone have a historic plate on their car?

Anthony
I have one and it's definately the way to go as long as you don't use it for work.
As a side note it's nice to see someone say "a historic" and not "an historic". I don't recall ever going to istory class. Sorry but it really irritates me when I hear that.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:31 PM
ruby76
Drifting

Location: Fairview Heights Illinois, near Saint Louis MO, STL C3 Shark
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got illinois antique vehicle plates. 2000 mile a year limit. that's okay I don't go over it anyway. Insurance too, VERY cheap but had to get an appraisal - turned out okay since it appraised $4000 MORE than I paid for it.

Isn't EVERY TIME you take a C3 out an exhibition? That's my excuse, basically don't use it as your every day driver. The idea is that the older cars are driven LESS, therefore you pay LESS for registration and insurance than your driver.

I told the insurance agent it wasn't 100% show and she said that was fine.

I don't feel the least bit worried when driving around on weekends etc.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:44 PM
BlueL36
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by ruby76
I've got illinois antique vehicle plates. ...Isn't EVERY TIME you take a C3 out an exhibition? ...I don't feel the least bit worried when driving around on weekends etc.
Two restrictions to antique plates- going to an exhibition (I go to a number of one-car exhibitions) and maintenance (I'm constantly maintaining the old girl.) In Illinois, you renew the tag sticker every 5 years! My just renewed sticker is good until December '09.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:08 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

I'm running antique plates and in CT it just deducts from your taxes..

Insurance is what's holding me back from having real fun
Old 03-31-2005, 02:50 PM
NJAnthony
Racer

Well, that solves that

There is *0* chance of me using this car for work. I am an IT consultant, so I drive 100+ miles a day! I can see myself driving it at night once in a while, or on the weekends, but rarely for anything else.

Thanks for the info...

Old 03-31-2005, 02:52 PM
NJAnthony
Racer

Originally Posted by jdmick
I have one and it's definately the way to go as long as you don't use it for work.
As a side note it's nice to see someone say "a historic" and not "an historic". I don't recall ever going to istory class. Sorry but it really irritates me when I hear that.
Too bad I misspelled vehicle in the topic

Old 03-31-2005, 02:59 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had mine for 10 years. There is no restriction on driving with them here in CO because that would discriminate against illegal aliens.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:20 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by jdmick
Gee, and I thought I was the only English teacher on this forum. Haven't you heard, "h" is a vowel, now. I think the senate passed a law. It took 'em an hour to do it.

JB
Old 03-31-2005, 03:21 PM
fjetb
Racer

I, too, have an historic tag...in Georgia...much the same benefits as elsewhere...

jdmick...while you may not like it, 'an' historic is correct because the first 'sound' in history is the 'eh' sound...'an' is used before words that begin in vowel sounds, not just words that begin in vowels...
Old 03-31-2005, 03:23 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I have antique plates in PA. I have a one time registration fee, no inspection or emissions testing. The only downfall is that it's purple which clashes with my red paint

Get notified of new replies

To Do you have a historic vehical plate on your 'vette?

Old 03-31-2005, 03:30 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Having once lived in your corner of the world, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Let's face it, Kentucky cops aren't exactly uptight compared to other parts of the country...

And the opportunity to avoid paying property tax on a vehicle? Priceless

BTW: I once had a deputy sheriff follow me for a few miles along a backroad. I think he was calling in my possibly unusual-looking (to him) antique plates to check...never pulled me over.

Last edited by page62; 03-31-2005 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:39 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The Florida Antique Plates are baby blue. Kept it less than a month.

Last edited by OHSIXX; 03-31-2005 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:00 PM
baja216
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueL36
Two restrictions to antique plates- going to an exhibition (I go to a number of one-car exhibitions) and maintenance (I'm constantly maintaining the old girl.) In Illinois, you renew the tag sticker every 5 years! My just renewed sticker is good until December '09.
Mine finally qualifies this year for the antique plates here in IL. I think it's $25 for 5 years

Around here in the summer time there is always a cruise night just about every night of the week. I asked a Joliet police LT about antique plate restrictions and he didn't even know about the restrictions. I do know that driving to work isn't a good thing.

In July I'm heading to the DMV with $25 in my pocket!!

Quick Reply: Do you have a historic vehical plate on your 'vette?