C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My best mod yet!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 01:39 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default My best mod yet!!!

License plates!!!

The last time my car was licensed was 1995. I've had the car for 18 months now and have never had it out longer than a couple trips around the block...until last night. Since aquiring my piece of garage art, I've fixed lots of electrical problems, put a new interior in, done some minor engine work and a lot of cleaning. Yesterday I got my state inspection and license plates.

By the time I could finally go out in the car last night the temp had dropped to 50 degrees and it was drizzling. I wasn't going to let anything stop me though. My first trip was to the gas station. $32 later and I was back home. I then decided to head over to a friends house. On the way I noticed a black lump on top of the driver's side wiper. About that time it flew off and the wiper started turning in all kinds of directions. The little clip that holds the wiper on was now M.I.A. I just turned around and went to the parts store and bought myself a new wiper. So, now I'm ready for my first real test drive out of my neighborhood. All went well. The car backfires quite a bit, but I think the two reasons for that are 1. the car hasn't been run in a very long time and 2. the timing isn't quite right yet. The more I drove, the better it ran. I wasn't sure how well the car would do at first, but the longer I was out, the more confident I became in the car. By the end of the 25 mile test drive I was on the highway. What a rush. I don't know how I managed to wait a year and a half to drive my car for the first time. Right now I'm wishing it was 5 o'clock so I could leave work and go pick up my Vette.

I think my only concerns with the car are now in the cooling system. The car ran 210 degrees all night last night. I know that is high, but I think I have some air trapped in the cooling system.

I just want to give a quick thanks to everyone for all the help I have recieved, from telling me what to look for when making my purchase to all the stupid little detailed questions on how to repair and replace different parts.

So, Aflac, you got yours on the road yet or did I beat you?
Old 03-31-2005, 02:03 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by Ak. Mal

So, Aflac, you got yours on the road yet or did I beat you?

hmmmm

I'll probably beat him..
Old 03-31-2005, 10:30 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg

Figured that Aflac would have signed in for that beating by now.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:49 PM
fast idle
Pro

you got me beat :o , i've been almost 30 months, complete engine rebuild , suspension work, new interior(almost in) cleaned and painted underneath,all new brakes, paint,carpets,glass,rear end and universals,the whole deal up front .I have no desire to spend our three month summer working on it for at least a few years.
Oh how i long for the day that i can mimic your story
Old 04-01-2005, 01:05 AM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by Ak. Mal
Figured that Aflac would have signed in for that beating by now.
you would think so. . .

all i gotta do is bleed my brakes and I'm back in business

btw: congrats on gettin the car back on the road
Old 04-01-2005, 10:04 AM
brystheguy
Racer

Hey, hey, way to go. Nothing beats the weather we're having now for cruising. Does your air work well? That might be your next project in the KC summer! I end up sweating like crazy in the heat of the summer with the air. I've discovered that it's cooler to drive with the windows down. Anyways, congrats!
Old 04-01-2005, 10:09 AM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

No A/C and a black interior makes for little driving when it gets too hot.

All the little problems are starting to show their faces now that I'm driving the car.

Most notably are I'm going to have a cooling problem and the starter is getting heat soaked from the headers. So, at lunch I'm off to find a heat sheild and a different radiator cap.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:19 AM
Aflac
Race Director

Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Nope, not yet... I am awaiting a carb still...going to get it down to waiting for that today.. I got my manifold bolts in the mail yesterday so that will all but finish up the engine. BTW, if you all need rear rotors, I can get them at my NAPA for 26.50 + shipping. If you all are in KC, we can meet up at hooters for a beer and i'll hand them over...
Old 04-01-2005, 10:25 AM
Aflac
Race Director

Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Hey mal, how new is your rad? I had those probs last year... the rad was almost totally slugged off in the bottom and was repaired too many times...i put a new one in and a 165 stat and it stays there the whole time no matter how hard i push it.. no sludge build up either and the interior stays decent for heat too...
Old 04-01-2005, 11:11 AM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

I don't know how old the radiator is. Could even be the original. I put a new water pump and thermostat on earlier this year, but I did forget to drill two 1/16" holes in the t-stat. The hoses are also new. The only thing I changed was removing the lines to the heater core. I just routed a hose from teh water pump to the intake manifold. The car has a flex fan and I'm pretty sure the aux. elec. fan runs constantly.

Can a radiator shop clean out the old radiator? The coolant level was low enough that I could see the tops of the three cores. They had some corrosion on them, but I don't know how much is too much. I don't know what or if they can do anything for my radiator, but I'd definatly give it a shot.

I'd also be all over those rotors if I hadn't already put 4 new ones on at $68/each.

Get notified of new replies

To My best mod yet!!!

Quick Reply: My best mod yet!!!