Sponsored by:

Legal advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 07:35 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by turtlevette
Is the area where you live or LI in general a bad area for stolen cars?

I'm thinking of driving mine down there next week and its a POS but i don't want to lose it. It may be worth something parted out.
The area I live in is an upper middle class area.Homes start at $500,000.Cars can be stolen any where.No it,s not Grundys,I would'nt deal with those jerks
Old 04-04-2005, 04:21 PM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do work in insurance (in Canada) and am well aware that courts will interpret any ambiguity in the policy language in favour of the Insured. At least they do so here in Ontario. "In use" is a very vague term at best, with no known legal meaning that I'm familiar with. Jurisdictions of course are different, so what I'm thinking could mean nothing in New York State. Obviously, you have access to some sound legal advice locally and you should be guided by that. My guess is that the exclusion can be successfully challenged based on the circumstances of the loss as you described them. Good luck and keep us "posted" on developments.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:02 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by 68shark
I do work in insurance (in Canada) and am well aware that courts will interpret any ambiguity in the policy language in favour of the Insured. At least they do so here in Ontario. "In use" is a very vague term at best, with no known legal meaning that I'm familiar with. Jurisdictions of course are different, so what I'm thinking could mean nothing in New York State. Obviously, you have access to some sound legal advice locally and you should be guided by that. My guess is that the exclusion can be successfully challenged based on the circumstances of the loss as you described them. Good luck and keep us "posted" on developments.
This is exactly what I was looking for,thanks for the advice.My wife works for a law firm and was told it shouldn't be a problem.But I still would rather have my car back.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:13 PM
greyghost79
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick Reply: Legal advice needed